Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • John Terry Verdict
  • binners

I hear you’re a racist now father….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Maybe Terry just thought that Ferdinand lived in that little village up in Scotland that has a small ferry terminal?

That’s the defence I’d’ve gone for.

loum
    Free Member

Does anybody know how much terry’s legal defence cost?
    I’d have expected someone on £5 million+ a year to be paying for the best possible legal team, especially with the potential impact a guilty verdict would have on his future earnings.
    But as I understand it, if he then wins the not guilty verdict, the taxpayer picks up that bill, whatever the cost.
    Would anyone with more legal knowledge let me know if this is correct please.

mcboo
    Free Member

However, my wife is black, my son is of course mixed race, and the inlaws and extended family I’ve spent the last 14 years with are black too.

Mine too. I still dont know what you’re on about.

hora
    Free Member

Ones stone cold sober saying things the other is pissed/not him/herself.

The only difference is one is ‘in writing’ the other is caught on camera and its a wee bit obvious – not just to a professional lipreader.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it sets a horrible precedent if you sentence someone for the thoughts in their head and the words that come out of their mouth.

you can have whatever thoughts you wish as no one can read your mind
    Many offence relate to what you say – why would anyone think you cannot be charged for this ? or that this would have set a precedent?
    Conspiracy,Defamation,Incitment etc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/interactive/2012/jul/13/john-terry-trial-full-judgment

Kryton57

mcboo – Member

However, my wife is black, my son is of course mixed race, and the inlaws and extended family I’ve spent the last 14 years with are black too.

Mine too. I still dont know what you’re on about.

Use of the “N” word by white people being deemed unaccepetable.

loum
    Free Member

binners – Member
    So if he’s not guilty, does this mean we’ll have to rely on Suarez for our racist outburts this season? He can’t shoulder that burden alone, surely?

This quote below was on the telegraph coverage.

So let me get this straight – there was enough evidence for the CPS to prosecute a racism charge against JT. He’s now been found ‘not guilty’ and will not be banned for any matches nor be fined any money. On the other hand the CPS wouldn’t touch the Suarez case for lack of any evidence yet the FA find him guilty of racist abuse, banned him for 8 matches and fined him. I’d laugh at the irony of that statement if I wasn’t so full of pity for the state of our FA and the agenda driven idiots who run it.

binners

FA in Inconsistency Shocka!! 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“The only difference is one is ‘in writing’ the other is caught on camera and its a wee bit obvious – not just to a professional lipreader. “

There is the small matter of the “in writing” being made public by yourself.

Yes… Terry must have know there where cameras about etc but he didnt acually say it too the cameras

Anyway we’re getting side tracked….. bad decision, puts the terraces (and sadly, society as a whole I fear) back god knows how many years

16stonepig
    Free Member

I can guarantee you if 16stonepig were black he’d change his view pdq.

Nope. And I find racism utterly disgusting. I just don’t think I could ever argue that it should be illegal.

xiphon
    Free Member

If the ‘N’ word is so offensive, why to black people (in the context of hip-hop/rap superstars) refer to each other as such?

Surely if they are so influential to young people, they should be encouraging the extinguishing of said word…..

Hypocrisy..

zippykona

A drunk called me a bald c..t the other day. Is that legal?

binners

Is it accurate? If they’d said that to me, it would have been.

hora
    Free Member

So if I have an argument in a bar tonight and I can someone a **** **** I can simply say I was only repeating what he was saying?

Wow, money talks in court. Buy the best brief possible.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Can someone just phone xiphon to explain that?

This thread doesn’t stand a chance.

binners

If you like I can pop down and call you a **** ****, or even a ****ing **** ****! Thus rendering any statement made following your arrest factually accurate

nickf
    Free Member

I’m not surprised at the verdict – you have to give the benefit of the doubt.

But it remains my unshakable belief that John Terry is a racist. Sadly, this doesn’t lower my opinion of him, which was already at floor-level.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

(Insert name of sporting authority) in inconsistency shocker!

🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

If the ‘N’ word is so offensive, why to black people (in the context of hip-hop/rap superstars) refer to each other as such?

Surely if they are so influential to young people, they should be encouraging the extinguishing of said word…..

Hypocrisy..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4[/video]

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

As far as I know he wasn’t accused of using the ‘n’ word was he? He was accused of calling Ferdinand a “black ‘c’ word”. That was caught on tape, and he admitted he’d said it.

His defence was, that, during the match, Ferdinand had accused Terry of calling him a “black ‘c’ word”, and Terry was saying something to the effect of “No I didn’t call you a …” when he was caught on film. Cole seems to have partially backed him up on this sequence of events.

One man’s word against another, no proof either way, so he simply cannot be convicted.

Kryton57

There’s a countdown to deletion on this thread…..

5, 4, 3,……..

Kryton57

pleaderwilliams – Member
    As far as I know he wasn’t accused of using the ‘n’ word was he? He was accused of calling Ferdinand a “black ‘c’ word”. That was caught on tape, and he admitted he’d said it.

His defence was, that, during the match, Ferdinand had accused Terry of calling him a “black ‘c’ word”, and Terry was saying something to the effect of “No I didn’t call you a …” when he was caught on film. Cole seems to have partially backed him up on this sequence of events.

One man’s word against another, no proof either way, so he simply cannot be convicted.

Watch the footage. Does his body language and facial expression look in any way defensive / explanatory to you?

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upvZdVK913I[/video]

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think it has to be proved “beyond reasonable doubt” yes?

There are far too many grey areas in this case for the court to be able to make a clear decision.

Its sad but true & in many ways this case should never have come to court as it was obvious from the start how clouded & ambiguous it was going to become.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Watch the footage. Does his body language and facial expression look in any way defensive / explanatory to you?

Unfortunately that’s your opinion, not proof. Also, its perfectly possible to be saying/shouting “no I didn’t call you a …” in an angry way. It doesn’t sound like it was a particularly refined conversation even without the contentious words.

Obviously the decision doesn’t mean he’s innocent, it just means that there is not enough evidence to convict him in a court of law. They’d have been much better off just charging him through the FA, as in the Suarez case, which incidently, would probably also have resulted in an acquittal in a proper court.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Oh binners, wonderful, magical, special Friday timing!

Never, ever has a thread been brought to such a timely conclusion!

highclimber
    Free Member

Binners, That looks like Don Cheadle, then again they all look the same, don’t they! 😯

cfinnimore
    Free Member

highclimber

Everyone just goin’ for it full tilt now then?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

16stonepig – Member

And I find racism utterly disgusting. I just don’t think I could ever argue that it should be illegal.

You’re not a racist “but” you don’t think racism should be illegal ?

Perhaps we can expand on this interesting logic. How about…… “I find pedophilia utterly disgusting. I just don’t think I could ever argue that it should be illegal” ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

The magistrate did not decide that it is ok to call someone a black c___

He decided there was not sufficient evidence to prove that JT had called Ferdinand a ‘black c___’ as opposed to saying ‘I never called you a black c___’ or whatever it was JT claimed.

Insufficient evidence to prove the allegation = not guilty verdict.

theocb
    Free Member

I’m imagining some sort of Monty Python Sketch going on in the court room; must have been a right giggle in there..
    1 barrister pumping his pelvis while shouting Ferdinands insults ‘f***ing bridgeys missus’
    while the other retaliates with ‘and yours you f***ing Kno***ad’

I feel a bit sorry for poor old Bridgey.. 🙂

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Edit:

Maybe not.

grantway
    Free Member

Olympics is near
    What verdict did you expect 🙄

bren2709

Who gives a sh*t!

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Wow the amazing missing post game! Where has this corker gone?

ernie_lynch – Member
    16stonepig – Member
    And I find racism utterly disgusting. I just don’t think I could ever argue that it should be illegal.

You’re not a racist “but” you don’t think racism should be illegal ?

Perhaps we can expand on this interesting logic. How about…… “I find pedophilia utterly disgusting. I just don’t think I could ever argue that it should be illegal” ?

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

I didn’t sit through the court case and list to the evidence nor did I witness it first hand like a lot of you guys did. I only saw what was reported by the media so I don’t have an opinion. I mean it would be absolute folly to come to a difinitive conclusion without listening to the all the evidence rather than just the bite size segments they can fit on the TV or in the papers….. wouldn’t it???

Oh hold on a moment, this is STW! Have at it internerds.. 😆

cfinnimore
    Free Member

smuttiesmith [/b]

The post that went there is now under my “Happy Rappy Weekend Song” thread. I stuck it in the wrong thread, but it appeared…odd considering the context of this John Terry shiz.

It’s a kid rappin’ and riding a bike and throwing a tantrum. In post history.

Don’t be silly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Olympics is near

What verdict did you expect 🙄

Well I expect the magistrate to be nobbled by the London 2012 Organising Committee of the Olympic Games of course !

I’m not sure why, but I am confident that is the correct answer.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t sit through the court case and list to the evidence nor did I witness it first hand like a lot of you guys did. I only saw what was reported by the media so I don’t have an opinion. I mean it would be absolute folly to come to a difinitive conclusion without listening to the all the evidence rather than just the bite size segments they can fit on the TV or in the papers….. wouldn’t it???

Oh hold on a moment, this is STW! Have at it internerds.

The only “definitive conclusion” I have come to smuttiesmith, since you are clearly referring to me, is that unlike 16stonepig, I believe racism should remain illegal.

What “definitive conclusion” did you think I had come to ?

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

cfinnimore I have removed the quote that from my repost. It seemed strange that your post was edited and ernie_lynch’s post disappeared. Anyways that is fixed.

I stand by the rest of the post. It beggars belief that people on here can confidently state that the wrong verdict was reached without the benefit of listening to the full evidence and ignoring their previous preconceptions of any of the individuals.

IMO I don’t think either John Terry nor Anton Ferdinand come out of this smelling of roses. Anton Ferdinand was not asking John Terry for Lasagne recipes was he? Would Anton Ferdinand or John Terry have spoken to someone in the street like that? I am not sure either of them would.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘John Terry Verdict’ is closed to new replies.