Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • John Malkovich stares at things….
  • RustySpanner

…and sounds a bit like Arnie.

It’s all very beautiful (and it is, clever too) but FFS get on with it!

Not read this since I was 10 or 11 and I’ll be 70 by the time this finishes….

ajantom

Well I enjoyed it 🕵️ 👍

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s OK but it’s all a bit ham fisted- ooo, look, some symbolic imagery, ooo, look, the same shot of some Belgians, oooo, look how much these people hate each other. It’s a bit hard work.

Also, after all these years, can they not actually find a Belgian to play Poirot? I loved David Suchet but surely before Brannagh and Malcovitch got the roles they could have investigated to see if an actual Belgian was talented enough to take on the role. There’s several million of them, I’m sure at least a handful are talented enough.

hols2
    Free Member

kelvin

I liked his aged take on him. The flashbacks to Belgium felt completely separate from the story… are they from the book?

dmorts

He’s also in Bird Box on Netflix which is great at the end

Northwind

I enjoyed the first episode, haven’t seen any more- it’s incredibly heavy handed at times “Look, water going down a sink! Sometimes it’s got blood in it, sometimes it’s beard dye, aren’t we CLEVER!” but I liked the whole Ron Weasley bait-and-switch where it turns out the great detective had no idea about much of anything.

The letters thing… What are the odds that he goes to Bermondsey and just happens to bump into a waitress who pinches his stockings and just happens to be called Belinda Bertingale (or whatever the **** the names are, you get the point). I could buy him hunting these people down, somehow, though in her case how? But that didn’t make sense.

Alphabet

I thought it was an excellent spin on a (probably) well known story. Surely a lot/most people have either read the book or seen one of the adaptations? On the iPlayer they’re calling it series 1 so I’m hoping there’s more in the pipeline.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Malcovitch?

Malkovich Malcovitch Malkovich Malcovitch.

Malcovich!

Malcovich Malcovich.

psling
    Free Member

Northwind

Subscriber
    I enjoyed the first episode, haven’t seen any more-

and…

The letters thing… What are the odds that he goes to Bermondsey and just happens to bump into a waitress who pinches his stockings and just happens to be called Belinda Bertingale (or whatever the **** the names are, you get the point). I could buy him hunting these people down, somehow, though in her case how? But that didn’t make sense.

You should probably watch the subsequent episodes then! It’s surprising how Christie’s murder mysteries develop, often with a few twists along the way….

It was quite a dark production, good attempt to bring a new angle into the Poirot character and certainly, IMO, one that needed to be watched until the final credits.

olddog

I am not a massive murder mystery/Agatha Christie fan usually I find it all a bit arch – but did enjoy this. I think that is the point to bring in new watchers?

Some of the imagery was laid on a bit thick but overall the dark mood suits murder story.

I guessed all the flash back stuff was building a back story for a series of stories given how much time was spent on it.

psling
    Free Member

kelvin

Subscriber
    I liked his aged take on him. The flashbacks to Belgium felt completely separate from the story… are they from the book?

No. In the book Poirot works with Japp (although the inspector in this adaptaion is introduced as Japp’s assistant in the book) and Capt.Hastings features as well – and actually contributes to solving the crimes, so there are several variations. Christie never really goes into Poirot’s past other than him being a Belgian refugee but there are a number of references to him being a policeman and Head of Belgian Police and even having worked with Japp in Belgium whilst in the Belgian police before coming to England.

redthunder
    Free Member

Jean Claude Van Damme would of been better 🙂

theotherjonv

There are more to come but by this article, not necessarily Poirot or Malkovic

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-12-28/bbc-confirms-more-agatha-christie-dramas-will-air-in-2019/

Gary_C

Jean Claude Van Damme would of been better

Would have

ajantom

Your amazing 🙂

You’re amazing 😘

psling
    Free Member

/// whoooosh >>>

ajantom

Nah, I got it. I just couldn’t help myself, jerk that I am.

psling
    Free Member

🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Jean Claude Van Damme would, of been, better.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Jean Claude Van Damme would, of been, better.

He wooden, hed of bean wooden.

jamj1974

I thought it was ok – although his accent was not consistent and sometimes sounded dodgy.

The story was good though. I’ll keep an eye out for more of Ms. Christie’s work – she could have a future in this detective fiction malarkey.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

She lives round our way. I’ll mention this thread to her.

Vader
    Free Member

I was sceptical but did quite enjoy ep1 and am looking forward to watching more.

But, I think without malkovitch it would be pretty embarrasing. I’m not saying he’s awesome or anything but he does bring something – even if it’s the emperor’s new clothes or an Officer Crabtree accent. Is it better than some of the scandi work that sets the bar? No, of course not, but it’s BBC and that’s ok for christmas, just about.

What does boil my piss is the rewriting of the original Christie story, I mean we all know she was a bit rubbish but honestly. Some people have got a bloody nerve.

rOcKeTdOg

no Harry or Hermione? most rubbish Harry Potter spin off so far

CountZero

Is it better than some of the scandi work that sets the bar? No, of course not, but it’s BBC and that’s ok for christmas, just about.

Would ‘Scandi-noir’ even exist without the likes of Agatha Christie or Conan Doyle?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘John Malkovich stares at things….’ is closed to new replies.