Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • John Lydon
  • Premier Icon Malvern Rider
    Free Member

He’s a National Treasure, like the Queen or Nicholas Cage.

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

I love playing Pistols stuff and would like to be able to sing it like Lydon, but can’t. Steve Jones really could play, pick up a guitar and you’ll be impressed at how he found some licks and riffs that pretty much defined the punk guitar sound.

Like Noel Gallagher if you ignore the obviously provocative stuff he’s worth a listen.

Premier Icon DezB

Much like Johnny, I really couldn’t give a **** what anyone else thinks.

Premier Icon DavidB

CRASS – nice concept, great lyrics, worst music ever in history

Premier Icon bob_summers

Yeah but did anyone actually listen to Crass and moan about the state of the playing? Likewise, I never cottoned on to how good musicians people like Steve Jones or East Bay Ray actually were.
    *Potters off to relearn the riff to Did You No Wrong for the umpteenth time*

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Premier Icon kayak23

Premier Icon john_l
    Free Member

He’s pissed out of his head.

Premier Icon paton
    Free Member

Banned from BBC

Just a “working class English” lad

Premier Icon eddiebaby

When he comes off stage or out of the studio he can be who he wants.
    I like him for some of the music.
    He’s not a mate of mind so his ‘personality’ doesn’t bother me and I suspect he causes minimal harm to others on the planet.

Premier Icon Watty

Well said eddiebaby. I loved the pistols. They captured the **** you **** you all moment in my life perfectly.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

He’s the epitome of mediocrity. Dull and cliched. Sort of the musical equivalent of Tom Hanks.

Maybe if the only song you know is Uptown Girl…

Premier Icon argee

Don’t really care about what he says these days as he’s a bit off his head in most interviews, but reality is that he’s in his mid 60s now, has a lot of personal issues and so on, and having spent nearly half a century of his life being someone else in front of the cameras he’s not really going to stop now.

You have to give him some points though for the fact that he’s actually changed his views over the years and actually comes out and states the stupidity of the times and what he did back then, a lot of them still live as if the world hasn’t changed much.

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

He’s the epitome of mediocrity. Dull and cliched. Sort of the musical equivalent of Tom Hanks.

I would rate Lydon as like Nicholas Cage – completely unpredictable, moments of genius mixed up with a lot of weird stuff. Tom Hanks is like Billy Joel – safe, boring, predictable tripe for people who are afraid of anything challenging.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Christ. He’s how I imagine a drunk Nigel Farage would be.
    Which, by all accounts, is probably what he’s going for.

Premier Icon Blackflag

I think its quite sad. He is such an important icon of the punk movement (if not THE icon) but over time he has overplayed the panto dame aspect. But as he’s got older and more right wing its just become embarrassing.

The whole US vs UK “who invented punk” think is quite annoying as there is no true year zero so the argument just goes round and round. But i think its fair to say that UK punk was very much its own thing even if it did take some influences from the US. But then again we turned it into something newer which they took straight back and reinvented as hardcore so its always swings and roundabouts.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

What Blackflag said.

I think the US vs UK think was is really just about who called it punk first and gets bragging rights, rather than who invented it.

Anyway, we all know that it all belongs to Iggy.

Premier Icon booji
    Free Member

F*ck the haters , long live JR

Premier Icon rumbledethumps
    Free Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/john-lydon-wife-nora-alzheimers-johnny-rotten-carer-sex-pistols-public-image-ltd-a9555211.html

Personally I felt the above was an emotional article which John opened up and gives a little more depth. I like him, but it doesn’t mean I always agree with his views. How refreshing 😁

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

All I can think of when I see thols2’s post is “Ooh Sir…does she Sir…suit you Sir”

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Massive punk fan,
    Still occasionally listen to Sex pistols but prefer the ‘true’ English punk bands out there (subhumans, restarts, FOPI,spits etc)
    As for CRASS being terrible music, well each to there own. Few ‘arty’ songs by eve libertine are not on my favourites play list.
    Massive respect for CRASS tho as they still live by the punk ideals (you tube vid of some of the band members still living the life they preach, off grid, making money selling art etc)
    not copy righting the logo allowing tshirt businesses make some coin.
    Steve ignorant was a excellent front man,
    “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated”… yes, yes I do , JR was a revelation when I was an angry 16 year old. As I got more into the punk scene it was obvious the pistols was a manufactured boy band (entertaining yes)
    Selling butter, ok every body needs make a living…
    A recent vid of him endorsing trump was the final nail in the coffin.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I was too young for the original punk stuff. When it eventually crossed my musical radar in my early teens the pistols did nothing for me. Liked The Clash and was a big fan of The Dead Kennedy’s. Still am to this day come to think of it. Just love the demented vocal tones, surf guitar and lyrics that still hit home now. Police truck springs to mind given recent events in the US.

Premier Icon zippykona

These last 4 years Crass have lifted me up and given me some fire in my belly.
    I’ve needed them .

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Kennedy’s my fave USA punk band, the words jello preached (trump) seem more relevant now than they did back then.

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Kennedy’s are out there on there own, My No1 favourite USA punk band.
    Jellos predictions are coming to fruition (trump?)

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Apologies, Connections playing up.

Premier Icon asbrooks

Stage persona Innit giving people what they expect him to be like.

Really? Not on the last PIL tour and miserable old git reading from a lectern.. Reminds me of my youth of being forced to go to church every Sunday.

I walked out half way through the gig, couldn’t stand his voice any longer. Take him out of the music and it would have been great…

Premier Icon duncancallum

I believe someone on Twitter described him as s butter shagging T$%+.

Guys just irrelevant now.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.