Jogging?

Home Forum Chat Forum Jogging?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Jogging?
  • robidoo

As of last week I have started jogging to loose weight and get fitter.

I was wondering how many times a week I need to go to get the best results I have done 4 miles on mon,tue,bike wed then 4 miles thur,fri rest on sat then long ride sunday.

Does this sound about right or should I stick some more runs in?
    Cheers Rob.

Premier Icon darrell
    Subscriber

dont do too much cause its **** boring and you’ll get fed up

surfer

Sounds like your doing enough to lose weight. If you have only just introduced the running then dont add to it for a couple of weeks then just add a mile or so here and there as you feel up to it, allow for your body to adjust.

carlphillips

too much too soon IMO.
    start small and build gradually and it’ll decrease your chances of injury

you may feel like you can run this far so many times a week but your muscles and ligaments/tendons all will need time to get used to the idea and heal themselves between you lurching around on rock hard concrete!!

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

call it ‘running’ you’ll impress people more 🙂

sounds about right – just build up gradually as you become more comfortable at a certain distance.

My wife started going twice round the local park this time last year and she’s running half marathons now – it doesn’t take long to build up your fitness.

finbar

The difference between a jogger and a runner is a race entry form.

keavo

wait for your legs to recover before the next session, however long it takes. i’ve just ran 6 mile quite fast, and know it will about 4-5 days before i’m ready to do it again. i find that if i rush the recovery i will get injured or too sore to run well. ride (swim or weights too if you like) in between runs.
    for me 2/3 runs a week is good, but i have to take care not to pick up injuries.

robidoo

Sound advice peeps, think I will carry on with 4 runs a week for a month and then poss do more miles.
    Legs feel fine now but the first couple of days “Jesus” it is 80 odd steps up to my crane and every one was a killer, lets say coming down them was very interesting.

roper

ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh get her!

It might be a good idea to make sure you have several routes. It will keep your interest up and the variety will be better for all round leg strength.

robidoo

Yup I have a few loops lined up also thinking of an Ipod to keep me amused.

WackoAK

at the start try to think in terms of time rather than distance.

coffeeking

IIRC the US marines intake system has a decent fitness regime to work to, starting at something like 2 miles twice a week, building up to something like 9 miles per night lol. After about 3 weeks you start getting shin pains. Or i did.

finbar

ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh get her!

It might be a good idea to make sure you have several routes. It will keep your interest up and the variety will be better for all round leg strength.

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be a d1ck or owt. Pretty well established maxim though, and racing is fun! Enter a 10km or something in a month or two and look at the runnersworld.co.uk training plan for that event. Actually that might be worth doing anyway, even if you don’t want to race – will give to get an idea of how to better structure your sessions and build up mileage.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

What about swimming also…
    I try to go once / twice a week & do 50 lengths.
    Best later in the evening when its adults only & rope off a couple of lanes.

I used to do a fair bit of running about 10yrs ago. Got pretty decent at it, could do 6 miles in 35 – 38mins, not sure if that’s any good. Did start building up further but its so bloody time consuming. Managed 16 miles once, **** me it nearly killed me. Serious hats off to any marathon runners. Ten years & 4 stone later here I am.
    If I remember one thing though, don’t run every day. Give your muscles time to repair.

boblo

coffeeking – Member
    IIRC the US marines intake system has a decent fitness regime to work to, starting at something like 2 miles twice a week, building up to something like 9 miles per night lol. After about 3 weeks you start getting shin pains. Or i did.

Get good shoes from a good shoe shop… Crap shoes/badly fitttings shoes = shin splints.

Use time and distance to gauge improvements in performance. Run your 4 miles, set a benchmark time and work it down. I don’t know how fit you are, you could be doing the 6min miles referred to above, if so, stop trolling on here you fit bugger 😛

Assuming you’re not doing that, work your times down to about 7:30/8:00min miles then up your distance by mile increments. Work back to 7:30’s and repeat until you’re doing 7 or 8 miles at 7:30 pace.

Do this four times a week plus your bike training and riding and you’ll be a fit fu…errrr chap.

Bob

coffeeking

Its speed, surely?!

coffeeking

Get good shoes from a good shoe shop… Crap shoes/badly fitttings shoes = shin splints.

Mine were “proper running shoes”, well fitted. I switched back to my Nikes and it was much better but still the same. I think it comes from being fairly heavy too? I’ve just never got on with running, though it does seem to do my fitness wonders.

finbar

Its speed, surely?!

Where do you draw the line though? 7 minute miling would be jogging for a lot of people, balls-to-the-wall suicide pace for others.

hora

Swimming is better. You get to see 18yr lithe ladies in small pieces of lycra…..giggity giggity

Jenga

The difference between a jogger and a runner is a race entry form

A jogger has matching tracksuit tops and bottoms and an iPod stuck in their ears. A runner wears some old clothes and wears a stopwatch on their wrist to time each run.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Jogging?’ is closed to new replies.