Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Joe Lycett on Laura Kuensberg – genius!
  • oldtennisshoes

ElShalimo

👍

mattyfez

I saw an article on the indie earlier about this…good work Joe!

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/joe-lycett-bbc-liz-truss-b2159376.html

I might have to watch the telly show for the lols…

stretch…
    Free Member

Excellent. I bet they think twice before inviting him back on a political show

thenorthwind

Also saw this. My admiration for him grows every time he pops up somewhere, which seems to be often at the moment.

Some might say Liz Truss is the backwash of the Tory party, but I wouldn’t say that

Crying.

mattyfez

I think he’s taken a cue from Hislop there, with the “they’ll sue me for libel if I openly called them a bunch of duplicitous liars, so I would never say such a thing” *wink.

But fair play to him, he’s a great commedian, he’s got some great stuff on youtube and it was so funny to watch.

More people like him please.

jam-bo

It’s fired up the DM so that’s all good…

kelvin

I’ve nothing to add. Leave it to the comedians.

martinhutch

Kuensberg’s face is a picture. Nobody ever dared to take the piss like that on Marr!

ctk
    Free Member

I just want him to say “You’re a Tory Laura- what do you think?”

Cougar

I don’t know who the blonde lady in the red is, but she’s this ➡ ⬅ far from corpsing.

reeksy

Yes – i noticed that. Was that Cleo Watson?

tomhoward

Strong Dennis Skinner vibes there…

nickc

Very strong “not that sort of free speech” vibes on the Mail front page

Watty

TyskySour did a piece about the Lying Laura show last week . . .

9’50” in and Noam Chomsky gives Marr his thoughts on BBC impartiality.

mert
    Free Member

I’m guessing that whoever booked Joe was either working their notice, or will be by 11 this morning…

On the plus side, adding “i booked Joe Lycett for Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg” to their CV would probably get them more work than they could ever handle.

the-muffin-man

Wether it’s funny, genius booking or however you may view it – booking comedians to take the piss out of political guests while they are on the same show is a bad move.

You’re soon going to run out of guests who want to take part.

daveylad
    Free Member

Leftie forum finds leftie “comedian” funny shocker.

rsl1
    Free Member

I’m incredibly right wing and I found it hilarious

pondo

Wouldn’t that be a terrible shame.

mert
    Free Member

Yes – i noticed that. Was that Cleo Watson?

Yup, and going by what’s she’s worked on over the years, i’m quite surprised she wasn’t as annoyed as Kuenssberg, though she *seems* to have a change of heart recently.
    Thornberry was creased up as well.

If you can’t see the humour in mocking the current “leadership” battle, or, the stupendous lack of self awareness, intellect or competence in the current tory leadership/cabinet, maybe you should just stop using the internet for a while.

Cougar

Apparently they were initially going to have a right-wing comedian on, but they couldn’t find one.

jam-bo

best thing is, he didn’t even say anything funny. just held up a mirror..

Klunk
    Free Member

Apparently they were initially going to have a right-wing “comedian” on, but they couldn’t find one.

lmftfy 😉

Cougar

😁

Tell a lie, I found one.

Lee Hurst has retired, who else have we got… reckon Jim Davidson is available?

BoardinBob

booking comedians to take the piss out of political guests while they are on the same show is a bad move.

More likely the comedians will actually tell the truth rather than trotting out a line of sycophantic questions

crazy-legs

Lee Hurst has retired, who else have we got… reckon Jim Davidson is available?

He might be right-wing but he fails the definition of ‘comedian’.

Cougar

Sorry, which one are you referring to?

Klunk
    Free Member

As it’s all about not being what you seem Perhaps he(Jim) should appear as Chalky White ?

IHN

Geoff Norcott is a funny guy, and I say that as a Guardian-subscribing hand-wringer.

And I like Joe Lycett, but I don’t know why he was on there. I’m absolutely all for satire and puncturing the ridiculousness of certain politicians, but one of the reasons politics is in such a state is that it’s increasingly treated with flippancy. If we want to get back to a politics of serious debate, then ‘serious’ politics shows should be just that.

Cougar

In seriousness,

It’s all a bit pathetic really, isn’t it. Pretty much the primary skill of both a talk show host and a politician is to be able to think on their feet and win verbal sparring matches. To have rings run round you by a comedian (or a “comedian” even) is kinda embarrassing. And now he’s being held to more scrutiny and getting more attention than any TV politician ever has.

Cougar

Geoff Norcott is a funny guy, and I say that as a Guardian-subscribing hand-wringer.

Ditto (apart from the subscription bit).

If we want to get back to a politics of serious debate, then ‘serious’ politics shows should be just that.

I’m not sure as I agree with this though. I suppose it rather depends who your target audience is. The people who most need to understand politics better aren’t Telegraph readers, they’re Express readers.

ads678

one of the reasons politics is in such a state is that it’s increasingly treated with flippancy.

Maybe if the politicians started taking it seriously, the rest of us might have more faith in them!

finbar
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that be a terrible shame.

That’s already the case, the tories only use their own platforms for ‘debate’ now anyway.

Any Questions on R4 hasn’t had a conservative politician of note on pretty much since Dimbleby left in 2019.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well Andrew Neil is pretty open about being right wing and both Boris and Liz ducked out of being interviewed by him. I don’t think it’s anything to do with being right or left wing, they just don’t want to be shown up by a tough interviewer who won’t let them off the hook.

Edit. Whatever else we might think of Rishi (which to be clear is not very much) at least he was quizzed by Andrew Neil.

kelvin

Geoff Norcott is a funny guy,

Agreed.

I’m pretty sure he’d have struggled to be entirely serious about the show, and the guests, if he’d been on as well.

one of the reasons politics is in such a state is that it’s increasingly treated with flippancy

Apologies if I’m pointing out the obvious… but Lycett’s responses make exactly this point for me… that the guests were expected to give flippant answers to flippant questions. He was mocking (I didn’t find it funny, but I think he made his point perfectly) the format of the show, and saying what guests are booked to say… albeit in a way that made it very clear that he didn’t mean what he was saying… where as other guests go through the motions pretending that they mean what they are saying.

inkster
    Free Member

I’m surprised that he didn’t ask;

“But what do your sources at Downing Street say Laura?”

johnx2
    Free Member

I like Joe Lycett, but I don’t know why he was on there

I like lycett too. He’s louche and very likeable basically. I don’t think I’ve actually watched any of his telly, but bizarrely (to me) he’s developed into a consumer champion, hasn’t he? Dunno who his rivals would be in that sphere? So given the cost of living crisis it’s entirely apt for him to be on current affairs programmes from that perspective. Also a reason for his controlled but very visible anger

thenorthwind

I don’t know who the blonde lady in the red is, but she’s this ➡ ⬅ far from corpsing.

Also didn’t know who she is, but got strong Trump aide vibes.

Drac

Refreshening to see right wing supporter being so honest. You can be thrown in jail just for saying Woke these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.