Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)
  • Joe! Biden!
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Now official the next US prez, despite the best efforts of Trump and his militias.

Obviously eats babies and worships Satan.

Apart from his busy schedule of putting babies on spikes, what will he be doing in office?

Poopscoop

Covid, then spending huge amounts on stimulus programs etc.

Basically putting out the fire…

tjagain

I think he has some difficult decisions to make. By nature he is a consensus seeker. He has to decide whether to go after Trump with everything he can – which will take time / energy and taint his entire term or to let Trump go to concentrate on his real agenda.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Too soon man.
    Top tip don’t let him order the pizza 😉

trailwagger
    Free Member

Sniffing the hair of any woman that gets within two feet of him?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can! We! Maybe! Get! An! Original! Title! Please!

ThePinkster

He’s going to be spending most of his first term sorting out the crap caused by his predecessor unfortunately so not much improvement will be seen.

Which then opens the floodgates for the next Trumpist to come storming in, shouting about how poor the democrats are at governing because they’ve not sorted out the mess. Doesn’t matter that the mess was caused by Trump, the Dems didn’t fix it.

thols2

He has to decide whether to go after Trump with everything he can – which will take time / energy and taint his entire term or to let Trump go to concentrate on his real agenda.

The President isn’t a law enforcement officer and isn’t directly involved in investigating and prosecuting crimes. The FBI and Justice Department will quite likely investigate, but Biden won’t play a part in that. He has already said he does not favour going down that route, but that’s sending a message to the Justice Department about his preferences. I wouldn’t be surprised if a special prosecutor was appointed, with more emphasis on documenting what happened than on actual prosecution. Congress will almost certainly launch investigations and publicize a lot of dirty laundry.

As above, Covid and economic stimulus will be top of the list. Also, mending diplomatic relationships with allies and clarifying matters with Russia and China. Both those countries have been stepping way out of bounds, so I expect the U.S. will try to force them into a decision about whether they want to be part of a global system or not. Probably some similar discussions with Middle-Eastern countries, Turkey, etc.

Edukator
    Free Member

It occured to me that he must be older than any elected Pope. After a quick check the oldest Pope to enter office since the 18thC was Benedict XVI at 78 and three days. From Wiki:

Pope Year elected Elected at age Age at death or resignation Length of pontificate
    Clement X 1670 79 years, 290 days 86 6 years, 84 days
    Alexander VIII 1689 79 years, 177 days 80 1 year, 118 days
    Paul IV 1555 78 years, 330 days 83 4 years, 87 days
    Clement XII 1730 78 years, 100 days 87 9 years, 209 days
    Benedict XVI 2005 78 years, 3 days 85 (resignation) / today 93 7 years, 315 days
    John XXIII 1958 76 years, 337 days 81 4 years, 218 days
    Innocent XII 1691 76 years, 124 days 85 9 years, 77 days
    Callixtus III 1455 76 years, 98 days 79 3 years, 120 days
    Francis 2013 76 years, 86 days Current / today 84 ≥ 7 years, 296 days
    Benedict XIII 1724 75 years, 91 days 81 5 years, 268 days

So my hunch was wrong by a couple of years. Britain has an significantly older head of state though.

matt_outandabout

what will he be doing in office?

At his age, trying to stay alive…

As above, he has a mountain of disenfranchisement to climb, a huge Covid reduction task and some serious holes in their economy and industry.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Can! We! Maybe! Get! An! Original! Title! Please

Sorry!

I’m the original unoriginal.

FB-ATB

Can! We! Maybe! Get! An! Original! Title! Please

What White man for….

slowoldman

I just thought I’d give this a bump. Today it deserves to be above the Trump thread.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The only thing that deserves to be above Trump is the gallows pole. And then only if Robert Plant promises not to sing.

MoreCashThanDash

Was fairly impressed by his speech – seemed to strike a firm and fair tone, some reaching out to the Trump supporters but clear about the damage of lies.

Be interesting how his approach to the pandemic plays out.

funkmasterp

Apart from his busy schedule of putting babies on spikes, what will he be doing in office?

Trying to stay awake and eating werthers originals.

slowoldman

Was fairly impressed by his speech

Yes I thought it sounded as though the grownups were back. Enjoyed the contribution by Amanda Gorman (Youth Poet Laureate) too.

eating werthers originals.

As opposed to burgers.

pondo

Is it me or does it feel like the world just got a little bit brighter, a bit more hopeful…?

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I’d like him to just let the botox wear off now so he can have a facial expression.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Surely it’ll be a year to eighteen months dealing with Covid and putting out fires, then really getting behind Harris for the 2024 presidential race? I mean he’s not going to be going for a second term is he? Seeing out his first one during a pandemic that kills the elderly would be a success.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If he’s anything like me he’ll be in the office first thing full of vim and vigor and pith and vinegar. Then within half an hour, once he realises that everything’s ****, can be found face down in a pile of tea, biscuits and despair.

I hope he’s a bit more resilient, though.

jimdubleyou

Democrats have the house and senate, hopefully he gets a lot done – and quickly.

I expect stimulus packages, infrastructure projects and a bit more in the way of a welfare state (obviously not as we understand it).

Hopefully the democrat vote will get out in the mid-terms and he isn’t shafted by losing one of the houses.

franksinatra

He’s not great really though, just looks awesome when benchmarked against Trump.

My gut feel is that he will go in about 2 years time, planned ill health, handing over to Harris. Hopefully a two year run into the 2024 election will be enough to prove to Americans that a woman in charge is actually possible, even preferable.

Edukator
    Free Member

Jenifer Lopez and Lady Gaga were ace. Not so sure about that bloke singing though. Harris was presidential. And Biden made the right noises.

funkmasterp

If he’s anything like me he’ll be in the office first thing full of vim and vigor and pith and vinegar. Then within half an hour, once he realises that everything’s ****, can be found face down in a pile of tea, biscuits and despair.

Surely it will be coffee or soda as opposed to tea. Other than that I’m with you and your post made me laugh as it describes most of my days!

Poopscoop

Best part for me was a president able to talk like an adult rather than a child practising new words, “chi-nah, chi-nah”.

Much better, bigly better.

Houns

Chuckled when the beeb news person said Biden couldn’t go straight to the White House as they’re still cleaning it and steaming the carpets, it’s going to take some cleaning to get all that fake tan and smell of bulls*** out of the place

franksinatra

Let’s face it, you wouldn’t just want clean sheets on the bed in the residency before moving in, you would want as proper industrial decontamination.

Northwind

Realistically he’s going to spend his time in office cleaning up Trump’s messes while getting blamed for all the shit he left behind. It’s an impossible job… But for all he’s hardly my dream president, I think he might actually be a pretty good choice for the cleanup. Basically someone who’ll get up every day, go “ah shit, not more of this bollocks, what a nightmare, and I thought Barack had a bad time of it”, and then get on with it anyway.

swavis

As above, I liked his speech and thought it cut just the right tone of reaching out to those who didn’t vote for him but that it was time to cut the BS.
    Good luck to him 👍

convert

I also think he has the perfect amount of power – control of the house and the senate so he is not stymied at every turn but only just so he’ll need to be a little mindful of keeping them onboard.

I suspect a one term president who won’t elect stand for a second term. To that end Harris will have a lot higher profile than any vice president of our lives by design and not because Biden does not have the energy to do the whole job.

brads
    Free Member

Upping the amount or formaldehyde he uses to keep himself upright every day.

#Thewalkingdeadpresident

ogri
    Free Member

He will have to work with a republican opposition to whom deficits matter,again.

reluctantjumper

Is it me or does it feel like the world just got a little bit brighter, a bit more hopeful…?

Not just you. I hope it’s the first sign of the changing tide, a bit like seeing the first snowdrop of the year. It may take longer than a few months for the new world to emerge but it definitely feels like we’re starting on the journey.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah must be sad for folks like @brads that heir Trump is no longer in power 😂😂😂

dovebiker

Working hard on franchising a chain of pizza restaurants in the DC area with basements called Joe! Special discounts for lizard people and our reptilian overlords.

matt_outandabout

Trying not to fall into the political traps that the Trumpette supporters are trying to create.

Northwind

matt_outandabout

Trying not to fall into the political traps that the Trumpette supporters are trying to create.

The thing about this, is that most of the traps they think are so clever, will only appeal to their own cult, and the great thing about voters that will never in a million years vote for you is you don’t have to pander to them. I think he’s too seasoned to waste much time over stuff like this, especially when he’s got enough real business to drown in.

The more mainstream/respectable/politically competent republicans will be more trouble.

Kuco

I’m hoping that in a couple of years Kamala Harris takes over as president paving the way in the future for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

scuttler

He’s surrounded himself with experienced adults, he has significant experience operating at the highest levels of US government, he recognises he can’t do it all himself, he’s embarked on a theme of unity. None of these were attributes of the predecessor. Remember this far into the Trump presidency there was already a shit storm over the size of the crowd on the Mall.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.