Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Jockey Wheels – how much play is too much?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Normally I’ve had to replace them when they’ve seized up (SRAM), but my current set on an x9 10 speed mech have a lot of lateral, and some fore and aft movement. The bike shifts ok, but the drive chain is getting noisy in a worn-bearings type way.

I know there is supposed to be some float in the 2 wheels, just not sure how much or if they are close to failing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t think there was supposed to be any float in sram jockey wheels. However, if it’s still shifting fine…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Mine have normally gone shuriken pointy before any float has become an issue. Thought there was meant to be some float in the top one to self adjust as it comes off the cassette and no play in the lower one?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

And I’d hazard a guess that float (side to side movement) probably won’t change that much through the derailleur’s life, but ‘wobble’ or angular movement from worn bushes is what you want to detect.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

OK, I’ve learnt a thing or two. didnt realise the top one was supposed to float to any degree.

Has anyone tried the new Hope ones and got a view on them other than from a bling point of view?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sram top one is supposed to float. Helps supposedly with shifting? However it doesn’t really matter. I replaced their plasticy cheap quality (but expensive to buy) stuff with KCNC jockeys. They last a hell of a lot longer, a bit of bling, well vented and clear mud nicely, easier to clean, and they don’t have any ‘float’ but yet work perfectly fine. If you go for them though, fork out for the ceramic bearing ones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Jockey Wheels – how much play is too much?’ is closed to new replies.