Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Jockey Wheels
  • dabaldie
    Free Member

Ok, confused. Not that it takes much.

The jockey wheels on my SramX9 are looking spikey so was just going to swap them. Now more often than not I’ll use my LBS, but not going to get chance over the next week or so due to work, so i went online.
    Now the last time i swapped jockey wheels it was for my road bike and i just bought some generic 10 speed ones for the 105 mech. On the Q&A on wiggle they say that most of the ceramic ones they sell are NOT compatible with SRAM. Surely Jockey Wheels are Jockey Wheels I appreciate that 7/8 speed ones might be thicker.
    So… any recommendations? I fancy a bit of bling, but nothing too pricey.

Ta.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Some of the sram jockeys have offset mounting holes for the top jockey. If you take yours out it will be pretty obvious what you have and what replacements will fit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

SRAM have a floating jockey, but makes no difference in my experience. KCNC ceramic jockeys I use as replacement in my SRAM mechs. Far more robust, longer lasting and thus better value for money. Plus they shed mud better. Never noticed a difference in shifting.

SRAM jockeys are way overpriced for how long they last and how easily they clog and seize up.

gren
    Free Member

Exactly what DK said. KCNC ones are far better in every way than the dearer SRAM ones.

Standard 11T ones fitted mine fine

monksie
    Free Member

I have two bikes with Sram X9 rear mechs. They have different jockey wheels which won’t fit both mechs. One of the mechs is 2nd generation. I’m under the impression that X9 2nd gen gave to have the odd offset top jockey wheel and nothing else will fit. A minor pain in the arse when trying to remember which ones I need for each. I seem to go through them very quickly as well.

welshfarmer

I have killed the KCNC ones pretty quickly which gets expensive. Basically the bearings can seize under extreme conditions here in Wales (not a KCNC problem, it happens to all jockey wheels) and if that happens on a ride the teeth break off due to the relatively lightweight open structure of the wheel. My next jockey wheels will be these…

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=231

There are more options in the shop there though if you wanted so save 5 grammes

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve heard the KCNC regular bearings seize easy but then I find SRAM do also. I never have a problem with the ceramic KCNC.

dabaldie
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Glad to see someone else uses xcracer too. 🙂
    Playtime this pm then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Jockey Wheels’ is closed to new replies.