Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Job trial at Kitchen designers as Trainee Joiner, Advice Please!
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

A few months back I decided to change jobs, when I say change jobs I really mean make a career for myself.

I’m currently a Support Worker for Adults with Learning Disabilities,
    Can be a very rewarding job, Minimum wage,
    Tories have made it an almost impossible job to support someone in leading a full and worthwhile life.
    Heartbreaking at times.

I’m not jumping ship, I simply want to be able to put what natural abilities I have in creating a career for myself in something I know I’ll enjoy but also potentially earn much more in.

I have an NVQ 2&3 in Hand Crafted Furniture which I somehow achieved through a fog of funky smelling smoke 😛 back in 2000/2001 when I initially left school.
    I never followed up the qualifications through sheer distraction of life.

Fast forward 12 years and with a clear and determined head I’ve recently enrolled on a self funded NVQ 2 in Site Carpentry (my preferred Bench joinery wasn’t available).

Two days ago I found an advert for a Trainee Joiner in a High-end Bespoke Kitchen Designers (£20k-£60k+ kitchens),
    Yesterday I casually traveled the 30 minutes down to Loughborough to hand my CV & Heading letter over, thinking it was long shot, 20 minutes after talking to the Managing Director,
    I left, walked calmly over to my car got in, drove out of the car park and screamed in amazement!

He offered me a job on the provido that their happy with my work over a two day trial, this Monday and Tuesday!

I’m now of course bricking it!

I’ll be doing basic stuff to show I’m suitable but I can’t help but think it’ll go wrong.

I would absolutely love this job so If anyone works in a workshop environment?
    I’d be massively grateful to hear any advice on what you’d expect from someone in my position?

rwamartin
    Free Member

1 – Believe in your abilities.

2 – Measure twice, cut once.

tacopowell
    Free Member

1 – Believe in your abilities.

2 – Measure twice, cut once.

1. I’m not 100% sure of my abilities!

2. Standard!

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m really pleased you went for it. Well done mate. When you’re in there, be yourself, as long as that’s attentive, hard working and fast to pick up on things. If given something to sand (for example), do it well and do it as fast as yo can without making a mistake. The minute you’ve finished a task, find who get you need to and ask for more work. Ask for r feedback on what you’re doing during the days and try to improve based on it. Remember, they are not expecting a cabinet maker from the start!

Good luck!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can’t help but think it’ll go wrong.

Get that out of your head. Focus on this : “I’ll be doing basic stuff”. So it’s stuff you are perfectly capable of doing. They will expect you to be nervous/needing to prove yourself, they just want to see what you are capable of, so just show them.

As a site carpenter I have some workshop experience but it is very limited. The obvious advise is to check and double check everything before committing yourself to any machining, repetitive mistakes can be very embarrassing and expensive!

If you’re not sure ask, don’t take a chance. If you are worried that it will make you look a little dumb then point out that you are only asking because you want to double check and not get it wrong – remember, we all make mistakes. Just try to avoid making yours during your 2 day trial period 🙂

Seriously, if you’re going to be doing “basic stuff” and you have NVQ 2&3 in Hand Crafted Furniture you will be fine. As a trainee joiner they won’t be expecting you to be capable of the same level of work as a fully trained joiner. But have confidence in yourself otherwise you will screw up.

Good luck, let us know how you got on 🙂

project
    Free Member

Best wishes on the job trial, probably they have taken people on who didnt make the grade on the bench.

Be yourself,think, ask for help in using new machinery,measure twice and then again before cutting anything,

and dont wear a tie, theyre dangerous with powered tools.

kayak23

Fantastic. Well done. Be realistic and honest with them. College environment is very different to a busy joinery shop. Explain to them that you’ve not been in that environment for some time but are very keen to learn and be interested.
    As mentioned, they won’t be expecting you to be incredible, just take your time, ask questions and do your best.
    Best of luck.

project
    Free Member

2 day work trial will also allow you to decide if a joinery shop is for you. lots of standing up and highlevels of concentration, been there and got the certificates.

stumpy01

Best of luck! I remember your thread a while ago mentioning this change of direction.

You’ll be fine!

Chew
    Free Member

Good luck and go for it.

They wont just be looking for what you can technically do, but also that you have the enthusiasm to pick up new stuff.

Be positive and show that you’re up for anything.

Basic stuff, but make sure you turn up early (traffic, etc) and dont be in a rush to leave at the end of the day.

Pigface
    Free Member

Dude go in there Monday, take a deep breath and do your best, sounds like you made a good impression already.

Wishing you the best luck, go do it.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just take your time and do a good job …don’t be rushed by others who have been doing it for years ….quality end result is key ………and best of luck

rene59
    Free Member

I don’t work in a workshop environment so can’t give specific advice, but well done, it must be a great feeling!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just listen to the experienced guys, and don’t worry. It’s joinery, if it’s good enough for Jesus…. 😀

richmars

If I was your manager on Monday, I’d be looking for someone who didn’t make any mistakes, not the quickest. So ask, ask and ask again until you’re sure you know what you have to do. I’m sure you have the skills to do the job, but the pressure may get to you so take your time and get it right.
    Good luck!

funkmasterp

Really pleased for you OP, it must be a great feeling to get a chance to do something you love. I know nothing of joinery or the workshop environment, but just be polite, ask questions and have confidence in your skills.

The best of luck to you and I hope it goes well 🙂

geg73
    Free Member

Been cabinet making 25 years I’ve seen plenty if trainees , just do your best hope it goes well!

psling
    Free Member

Remember your ‘elf & safety.

And, if they send you to the stores to get something you’ve never heard of before, be afraid. Very afraid… 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Great news OP.

Lots of great advice above – and remember, whatever the outcome, enjoy yourself.

Best of luck!!!

tacopowell
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice,
    Basically summed up,
    1. Be yourself
    2. Believe in yourself
    3. Be enthusiastic

I’m almost certain I can do these things!
    Still bricking it!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Clearly think you will fit in/have the right attitude.

Sounds like they just want you to prove you know which the pointy end of a chisel.

Pigface
    Free Member

Well?

rwamartin
    Free Member

Still got all your fingers?

tinybits
    Free Member

I think he fell into the extraction….

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Are we talking DeVol by any chance? I work in the industry but as a self employed installer. DeVol seem to be expanding a lot recently.

johni
    Free Member

My experience of trials is that if you turn up on time, are honest, hard working and don’t p1ss everyone off you’ll be fine. You can teach skills but not attitude and aptitude…

johndoh
    Free Member

Remember its a job for a
    Trainee Joiner
    so they won’t be expecting miracles from you. And simply by showing the keen-ness of travelling there to hand in your CV shows a level of enthusiasm that they will probably be surprised to see. Keep up that level of enthusiasm and you will be fine.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well?

Perhaps he can’t type ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Those long stands can be hard to find, he’ll twig eventually.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Bare in mind the last physical job I had was around 5 years ago, The last two days reminded me of those after work aches, First after work bath in a while!

Trial went well, I was part of the team fixing the segments together, installing fascias, hanging doors, repairing dents etc etc,

Not really what I expected but was interesting at times, Got on with the job, asked other folks for help when I needed it, Friendly and hard working team.

Workshop managers feed back was positive,
    Expecting a call from the big boss today with details of offer.

Despite the work been intense I enjoyed it, Hoping I could move my way towards the wood side of the workshop in time but it’s all experience.

All this said, they seem to have one obstacle with me….College (Mondays & Tuesdays 9-4.30), They want me full time, I’m 2 months into my NVQ 2 in Site carpentry, there’s been talk of subsidizing me for the remainder of the year,

I’m really not happy about this, I’ve started the course and don’t want to rule out Site in the future, particularly as I’m very interested in the Heritage/ restoration side of site.

From my point of view I have an issue, Cost of travel,
    If they can work with me around college, I’ll need to be doing 30+ hours weekly, I’ll have to get a second vehicle, something I can barely afford on my current wage let alone taking a pay cut and having added costs of fuel for the daily 40ish mile round trip.

Are we talking DeVol by any chance?

I’d wouldn’t like to disclose but I will say yes, this company is rapidly expanding.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, glad your 2 day trial period went well 🙂

I’m really not happy about this, I’ve started the course and don’t want to rule out Site in the future, particularly as I’m very interested in the Heritage/ restoration side of site.

Stick to your guns would be my suggestion. I would be suspicious of any firm which didn’t encourage their trainees to attend college. Having said that, the first 2 days of every week does sound like a lot.

tacopowell
    Free Member

To be fair after speaking to the boss today, he did say he understood my desire to stay at college, offering me a 32hour contract,
    problem is even at 32hours I’m going to really struggle with the £7ph and added travel costs.
    Said I’d call him back by tomorrow.

tacopowell
    Free Member

really struggle realistically meaning I can’t afford it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s tough. No chance for overtime?.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Limited, as I’d already be working almost all available workshop hours bar the Monday/tuesday I’m at college, potentially extra hour each morning.
    5.30am start each day, maybe I should man up!

philbert31
    Free Member

Taco, where abouts are you based? I might know of another company you might be interested in??

tacopowell
    Free Member

New Basford/ Sherwood area.

philbert31
    Free Member

Ahh, this is Northwest based. sorry

murf
    Free Member

Take the job and see if you can finish college as a night class?

philbert31
    Free Member

The night class is a good idea, thats what i did and you’ll find most night school students are more interested in learning than grinding the tips of chisels flat!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Job trial at Kitchen designers as Trainee Joiner, Advice Please!’ is closed to new replies.