Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Job offers or not? what to do
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I’ve been job hunting for the last 3 months and have two interviews this week.

Job one in the automotive sector. I had the interview today and it went fine, but not perfectly. I will hear back on Monday if I have a second interview, they are interviewing ~10 people.

Job two is teaching at a school I left 3 years ago. The interview is on Friday and with teaching interviews you almost always find out on the day if you did or didn’t get the job. I was very careful not to burn my bridges when I left as the head neither forgives nor forgets and if I want to get any teaching job a reference from her is essential.

What would you do

a) If offered, just take the teaching job.
    b) Stall the teaching job until Monday (if offered it).
    c) something else.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Martin

lucien

A bit more context might be helpful, so hard to say anything practical at this stage.  Do you need to work at all?  What’s your background, career aspirations, qualifications, experience etc?  On the face of it, 3 months doesn’t seem that long to have been looking.. …

rickon
    Free Member

What job do you actually want to do? They sound significantly different enough from your high-level overview.

Asking for time to consider your options isn’t out of line, a new job can be an upheaval for some people. Do consider that if you do get offered a job that there could be others that won’t be told they haven’t got the job, while you make your decision.

john_drummer
    Free Member

If the Friday interview leads to an offer, ask for the weekend to consider your response. Hopefully by the Monday you’ll have two offers to think about.

seriously though, what do you want to do?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a question for when you actually get an offer. If you get offered the teaching job then you are allowed to say you want to read the details and that you are considering other offers and need to make your mind up.

duncancallum

Avoid the motor trade it’s crap

dooosuk
    Free Member

The problem lies with job 1 requiring a second interview… which may be some time after job 2 is offered.

tall_martin

Cheers for that!

What do I want to do- a) get paid! B) I’d prefer the automotive job.its very similar to what I’ve been doing for the last 3 years and it’s great!

Career aspirations – go to work get paid, possibility of promotions – both pay fine, neither look awesome on the promotion front

Do I need to work- yes, I’m mid renovation and cash flow is essential to finish the renovation

3 months to find a job- it’s the distinct possibility of running out of cash that is driving me

Not deciding on the day- everyone at Fridays interview would expect to hear on Friday, so a weekend to decide is problematic on that point as well.

Thanks for the suggestions

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>Avoid the motor trade it’s crap</span>

He didn’t say “motor trade” he said “automotive”.

Massive difference.

richmars

A bird in the hand etc etc.

If you need the cash flow, take the teaching job (if offered). When does it start?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Take the teaching job. Whether you leave in 1 month or 1 year or 10 years they will still need to replace you.

Cougar

everyone at Fridays interview would expect to hear on Friday, so a weekend to decide is problematic on that point as well.

“Thank you for the offer.  I have other offers to consider, I’ll let you know on Tuesday.”

Nico
    Free Member

“Thank you for the offer. I have other offers to consider, I’ll let you know on Tuesday, whether I’ve got to go for another interview before I actually know.”

FTFY

chvck
    Free Member

IMO you’ve got to decide whether or not you want the teaching job regardless of the other job. From what you say you’re going to have to give a decision before you know about job 2 anyway, and even if you manage to string it along to Monday then all you’ll know is if you have another interview or not.

Possible dick move but you could verbally accept the teaching one if offered and if you don’t sign anything then you could still change your mind after the weekend anyway.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Take the teaching job, it’s half-term next week isn’t it? 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

Take the first job if offered, chances of getting both are probably quite slim and you can cross that bridge when you come to it. No-one would be surprised if a new recruit bins the job early, it happens a lot for all sorts of reasons.

duncancallum

Apologies after 15yrs in the motor trade it’s hard to recommend.

Advise the autojob you have an offer on the table n see if they can speed up the reply

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve had nearer 30 years in and out of the automotive industry. Current stint is 15 years in the same employer, probably going to be here until I retire.

It’s bloody brilliant, loads of opportunities, the whole range of engineering from touchy feeling customer gooey stuff to manufacturing and assembly (and everything in between).

Current stuff with the whole electric/hybrid/emissions is really opening the technology side of things up as well.

Give it another 5 years the whole industry will be unrecognisable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Job offers or not? what to do’ is closed to new replies.