Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • job offer
  • trevron73
    Free Member

I have recently been looking for work and have had a 3 stage interview which has led to a job offer? However the offer was made “due to a negative reference point from 1 of your 5 references(who calls 5 former employers??) (also i am a chef we tend to change roles every 2-5 years) we are offering you a 1 month trial instead of a full time position . What do we think ? i have said i am not happy about the temp trail and if it not a full offer i will turn it down. Now the offer has been turned to a full job offer with 3 months probation .
    I feel that to start a new position with such negativity is to start on the wrong foot ? I think they are just looking to fill the role short term ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

irrelevant IMHO as within the first year they can sack you for any reason at all [ not sexism racism etc] so it is irrelevant how long they offer

footflaps

Quite common to offer probation periods now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpyjon

First two years as I recently found out to my cost, something our mate Dave changed when he got into office. Used to be one year. If were me I’d ignore it and take or leave the job based on other factors.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d not bother, who does call 5 references?

McHamish
    Free Member

Compulsory 6 month probation is common in that there London.

trevron73
    Free Member

Standard 3 months probation i can understand that but it was put ” were not gonna offer you a full time position due to a negative reference ,so we will give you a 1 month trial to see if you are the man for the job ‘followed by 3 months probation ?
    Then a U turn when i turned it down ,they are without a chef for the summer ? i reckon i am being used as a filler ?

allthepies
    Free Member

I guess it comes down to whether you want a job or not.

nickdavies

As above ^ it’s all irrelevant for the first 2 years, as barring exceptional circumstances they could offer you anything you wanted and still kick you out without even mentioning probation.

Only you can decide whether you want to risk that – if you’re currently employed you’ll definitely be out of a job with no guarantee of one on the other side, and you should have more of an idea of if it’s worth that risk from the interview? If you’re not working now then nothing to lose.

It actually wouldn’t bother me – i’d see it as them being open and covering their own arses. If they were desperate for a filler for the summer and had a bit of brain they’d give you a straight offer and pull it off you after 6 months.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Are you good at your job?

If so then you will get offered a job after the probation and there is no problem?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

who does call 5 references?

Someone who called two previous employers initially, was given one dodgy ref, but liked the OP so followed up more?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘job offer’ is closed to new replies.