Job offer this morning – job interview this evening – dilema

Home Forum Chat Forum Job offer this morning – job interview this evening – dilema

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Job offer this morning – job interview this evening – dilema
  • Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

    Just tell them it’s something you’ve got to consider. If they want you enough they’ll let you have the thinking time.

    uplink
    Member

    Just tell them up front what the position is

    donald
    Member

    I’d tell them the truth.

    RudeBoy
    Member

    Yay! Good news, WCA!

    What Terpischore says…

    Mackem
    Member

    Take the second one if offered, it might be a good idea to tell the second lot that you have an offer but you’d prefer their job, that might hurry them up. If you dont take the second job you’ll just regret it later, people are more understanding than you think so I wouldnt worry about leaving the 1st job so much.

    Tell the truth?!?!?

    I will take your job but walk away in 10 days if I get this other one. I am not sure the job offer would remain around for long. They were talking about a start in first half of June as they have an active project which is why they accelerated the recruitment process.

    hora
    Member

    Why do they want a quick start? Im in rec BTW.

    They landed a big project that suddenly got bigger and they need a senior person to oversee the programme of projects, liaise with the business and try and get more business.

    For some reason the customer thought they already had the resource to handle this. Damn those salesmen

    Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

    Bird in the hand? Nasty dilemma as no doubt word will get around that WCA is not reliable if you walk from first job. Have a word with the second company and lay it on thick about needing to earn money ASAP. If they won’t budge then you’re off to job one.

    Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

    Accept the job and worry about the other one if / when you get offered it.

    jova54
    Member

    Decisions decisions.

    It’s always the same, you wait months for a job offer and then two seemingly come at once.

    IIWY I’d put off talking the first company at all today and when you go for the second interview this evening tell the second company about the offer at an opportune moment and see how long they are going to be in making their decision and how near the top of the list you are.

    If they really want you they should be able to tell you quickly. If they can’t/won’t and you’re not confident about getting the second job accept the first and move on.

    There is no point regretting what might have been; you have to live life as it arrives, sequentially.

    Good luck whatever happens. 😀

    Jimmy – I am very likely to get the other job and don’t want to dump on the first lot. It is a small pond I swim in and I don’t want to get known for pissing in it.

    Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

    take first job, walk out into 2nd if offered, they’d make you redundant without a thought i’m sure, look after number one these days WCA

    Sounds like a plan then.

    mrsflash
    Member

    Well done for geting a job or even 2!! I’d try and stall the current offer and then be upfront at tonight’s interview to see if you can get them to make a quick decision.

    jedi
    Member

    i would just like to get one job offer 🙁

    hora
    Member

    WCA- I think it would be unreasonable for a company to expect you start next week with a ‘or else’ clause. go back and say you are very keen but you have a family commitment/etc early next week- could you delay your start? (reaffirm your interest).

    Is this a contract role? If its a permanent role- if they really do feel you are right they will wait. FFS most candidates gave a 4-12week notice period anyway. This project wont collapse- plus if they say they’ll go for a second choice as they cant wait a week- then really, you were just a bod to fill a slot that they needed. That would worry me how they recruit/see employees as assets. Slap-dash etc.

    hora
    Member

    Or. Have you told the preferred interview that you have had an offer-whats happened? (dont dress it up as an ultimatuim tho!)

    bigsi
    Member

    firstly well done on the job offer WCA 😀

    I would ask for 24 hours from the first company and then in the interview for the 2nd one ask them at the end of the interview if they saw you in this role. Advise them that you have an offer on the table from another company which you would take if not successful with the 2nd company but need to give them an answer on Thursday really. If you explain that the reason you are asking is because you don’t want to muck the 1st company around this will look well on you as they will see you are not someone who likes to mess people about. Explain as well that you like the opportunities that the 2nd company can offer etc and see what they say.

    Honesty is the best policy in my book and i always prefer when interviewing people if they are upfront with me. If they are not and i find out (small pond etc) then i think twice about taking them on.

    Good luck.

    Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

    WorldClassAccident – Member

    Jimmy – I am very likely to get the other job and don’t want to dump on the first lot. It is a small pond I swim in and I don’t want to get known for pissing in it.

    So decline the first job? Or as Rocketdog also says, look after number one. They’ll have a number 2 on their list and in this climate they won’t have trouble refilling the post. Small pond… hmmmm. You can always be upfront once you’re in the job and tell them you had an interview before you accepted their job and its now come up. Put it to them that you WANT to take the job before blatantly pissing all over them.

    donald
    Member

    When I say “tell the truth” – I don’t mean tell them “I’ll take your job but I’ll walk out in a week if I get a better one”. I mean tell them you’ve got another interview and that you can’t make a decision until you’ve spoken to the other company.

    hora
    Member

    Look after number 1 yes but leave a company even more in the lurch who have/will have paid a wage that goes down a drain when someone turns round and says they’re leaving asap for a better offer?

    zarquon
    Member

    should not be too difficult to act with a little integrity and not piss people off.

    I’d say to the first lot: I understand that you are under a lot of pressure to fill in the vacacy at chort notice but I have a number of options that I’m looking through and can’t give you a definitve answer immediately, as I do not want to let anybody down. Can you wait a few days for me to get back to you?

    To the second lot: if you like the interview at the end say that you are really interested in the vacancy but have another job lined up and need to give a quick reply in order that you do not put them in a difficult position, so can they make a decision quickly on whether you have the job or not.

    Just got an email confirming a job that was okay but not great, wants to discuss the plan this morning as they want a quick start (possibly Monday). That is great.

    I have a final interview this evening for a job I would prefer. Better career path, more enjoyable etc. Won’t be making a decision for 5 days.

    Do I take the first job and then let them down if I get the second one?

    Just to add to the mix, the job I have definitely got is with some people I have worked with before and like so don’t want to dump on.

    hora
    Member

    zarquon has a gift for the English language compared to me

    First of all well done! Secondly I understand the dilema you are in, I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. Had two interviews for equally good jobs. One in industry- fairly long commute. Other one was for NHS (safer?)- shorter commute. Really wanted the second one on balance and so did more prep for it. Long story short didn’t get the second one, still waiting to hear from the first having chased them for a decision. Didn’t feel I gave the first my all.

    I’d accept anything at the moment!

    A company worth working for will wait for you. And I also agree with honesty being the best policy.

    On a positive note you’ve got a job so you’re in a win – win situation. Do what suits you, business is business. And good luck! 🙂

    Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

    As zarquon says

    Just ask yourself what has happened to your previous “career paths”????

    A lot of ” career path” based/motivated people are coming unstuck atm.

    Maybe taking a back seat, getting a good project onto your cv won`t do any harm atm.

    Son still does some “outsourced” work for his previous employer due ti him not burning his bridges and being one of very few people able to do the job and firms customers requesting he do it after he left.

    Daughter has just or will be in 3wks time starting her first ever “proper” job after leaving uni. 1 job locally advertised, applies and gets it 3mths ago. No more since and none on the grapevine.

    You will know better what your position/reputation re industry grapevine if you p-off the people you know from 1st firm.

    Spongebob
    Member

    I’ll take the job that you reject!

    zaskar
    Member

    Say yes to both until the first contract arrives and go with the one you want.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Job offer this morning – job interview this evening – dilema’ is closed to new replies.