Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Job offer in Edinburgh
  • eruptron
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a job in Edinburgh and seriously considering the move. Job is not far from the airport. Initially I’d need a flat share until we sold out house and then the better half can join me and we can buy something and settle full time. Eventually we’d like something slightly villagie/rural.
    Any recommendations area’s etc how bad does the traffic get in that neck of the woods as there’s 3 motorways in that area?
    Any areas to avoid when looking to rent?
    Obviously I can explore while I’m on my own as I’ll have time on my hands.
    Thanks in advance.

somouk
    Free Member

I visit every now and again as our head office is up that way in Livingston.

Traffic around the airport isn’t bad due to it being out of the city, it can get bad heading into or out of the cities (Glasgow/Edinburgh) but if you stay away from those you should be okay.

There are some nice places by a golf course just off Junction 3A of the M8 that I often run past when stopping in the Premier Inn there.

scotroutes

Deer Park?

Traffic is bad coming into town. If you’re working out that way and travelling from town then not so bad at all. Plenty of cycling options too as Edinburgh has a pretty good off-road cycle network.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If the office is close to the airport then you could either consider Linlithgow or the west side of Edinburgh – Balerno/Currie etc. – and avoid the worst of the traffic which is closer into town.

somouk
    Free Member

Deer Park?

Sounds about right.

bawbag
    Free Member

You should be able to get a flat share in Costorphine quite easily which would be handy for work. I cycled to Gogarburn from Polwarth/Shandon area which is much closer to town and it only took me 25 minutes along the back roads.

geoffj

You could consider fife – burnt island, aberdour etc
    Traffic across the bridge to the airport direction isn’t too bad.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Uphall is lovely 😆

househusband

Really? I used to do a 90mile/day commute from Midlothian to Fife and would grimace at the queues on the other side of the FRB heading toward Edinburgh.

Offroading
    Free Member

Traffic into Edinburgh on any route in the morning is slow. M8 is the worst, A71 from Livingston gets slowed down at Sighthill.

WHen you say not far from the airport what direction ?

fasthaggis

South Queensferry

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Takes me about 30 mins to drive from Dalkieth area to Ratho area.

eruptron
    Free Member

Offroading – Member
    Traffic into Edinburgh on any route in the morning is slow. M8 is the worst, A71 from Livingston gets slowed down at Sighthill.

WHen you say not far from the airport what direction ?
    West of the airport close to Ratho Station

geoffj

Really? I used to do a 90mile/day commute from Midlothian to Fife and would grimace at the queues on the other side of the FRB heading toward Edinburgh.

Once over the bridge. (Heading south) traffic on the A90 going into Edinburgh can be horrendous, but the M90/M9 route is usually not too bad.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Kirkliston or Ratho

giant_scum
    Free Member

As BlindMelon states Uphall is lovely(not all of it but some decent parts) Broxburn not that bad either and by bike to the airport about 20 minutes along a dedicated cycle track. Plus you have the added delights of direct access to the Bathgate Alps.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Sorry double post

eruptron
    Free Member

wwpaddler – Member
    Kirkliston or Ratho
    Newbridge

giant_scum
    Free Member

If it’s Newbridge where you will be working you could look at East or Mid Calder(handy for The Pentlands) as well as Ratho and Kirkliston to live in.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Depends on what facilities you want in the village you live in. If you want trendy bars/restaurants then S Queensferry is probably best. Most of the other places mentioned have a couple of shops and maybe a takeaway and pub of variable quality/character. The advantage of living on the western outskirts of Edinburgh is that the motorways and ring road are really easy to get to for getting away compared to living in the centre when it’ll take you 30mins just to get to the outskirts.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Newbridge is right under the flight path so can be noisy!!

tiggs121
    Free Member

Linlithgow – short motorway commute and not too busy. Nice wee town – canal goes from there to Edinburgh via Broxburn which is next to Newbridge if you want to ride to work.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

aye +1 Linlithgow, maybe Balerno. Neither are cheap as chips but both are nice and from Linlithgow theres the canal route towards the airport. South Queensferry is actually ok itself if thats where youre working and theres plenty of backroads to get to Queensferry if you want to avoid motorways.

eruptron
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies still truly haven’t made the decision.Trying to dice with the idea that it’s going to be vastly more busy. Will be a massive move being apart from Mrs until the house is sold etc.
    Thing that goes through my mind is that can we find somewhere that is quite enough (in the long run)that doesn’t mean a commute over about 1/2 hour to 40 min max. Ideal would be a small village with a shop and of course a cozy pub.
    On the up accessibility to family would be easier even if it’d be a 4 hr drive.
    There would also be load more accessibility/choice when shopping even down to food.
    Also there will be more choice when it comes to utilities which should make it a cheaper but a massive increase in water rates and council tax.

I’d be interested to here what sort of money people are paying on Utilities council tax etc in that area

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Job offer in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.