Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Job interview etiquette
  • Mounty_73

The story is….

A job interview this week, 3 people on the panel.

Its been almost 10 years since I have been interviewed…so what is the etiquette for this….any advice ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Passion and commitment.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6bWb7oEuE[/video]

joao3v16
    Free Member

Kindly refrain from running, pushing, acrobatics or gymastics, shouting, ducking, petting, bombing and smoking

nbt

Just been through it myself
    Be polite, be honest, be yourself. No point in bulshitting them that you can do somehting you can’t, you’ll get found out as soon as you start work. LIkewise no point in pretending to fit in with them, if you don’t fit you won’t like it and you won’t last long

Trekster

Know what the business is about
    Collar, tie, shoes

northshoreniall

Look at the person asking the question when answering, with an occasional look along the whole panel but keep questioner as focus of answer – worked for me 2 weeks ago.
    Oh an don’t lick them at the end, they don’t like that apparently!

Mounty_73

Most of my interview have been one to one.

So, 3 people on the panel. Do I approach all 3 and shake hands?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Spread your legs wide apart and put your hands behind your head. You will appear relaxed and at ease with yourself. This will work really will if there’s a lady on the panel. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes approach them all, smile and shake their hands. Keep eye contact with the questioner but also move it to the others as you answer – make any conversation as inclusive as possible. Be prepared, then go back and prepare some more. If there are three, don’t be put off if one plays the bad cop role. Do not be riled etc. Smile, take plenty of deep breaths and then continue.

Good luck

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

It’ll work even better if you are a lady

Pieface

You get better after the 3rd

atlaz
    Free Member

If you’re introduced, shake hands as you’re introduced if possible (i.e. don’t climb over a table to get to them). Suit, shiny shoes, tie. Don’t bullshit about what you’ve done, NEVER badmouth previous employers or blame them for anything that might be considered your shortcomings. If you’ve been made redundant, be honest about it as there’s no stigma associated in in most eyes. If you can do some research on the company related to the role you’re interviewing for, do it but at the very least, have a reasonable idea of who they are, what they do, competitors etc.

Above all be confident, don’t get flustered and be yourself.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Spread your legs wide apart and put your hands behind your head. You will appear relaxed and at ease with yourself. This will work really will if there’s a lady on the panel.

+ feet on their desk
    + don’t forget to be wearing your best cycling shorts

Read up first, know enough about the job and the company to be able to ask questions when the inevtable “is there anything you’d like to ask us?” crops up. Impresses me when I get asked questions by an interviewee, even more so when they have something to do with the job. Happens rarely though

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh yes, either don’t put interests on the CV (bit late that advice I know) but if you have, make sure you can talk about them. I always ask people who do and some of the answers have eliminated people from the running because they clearly just wrote stuff to pad out their CV.

I also won’t recommend suggesting you’d like to shag the receptionist like one genius I interviewed when I asked him what appealed to him about company X.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Turn your phone off

Pieface

Figures / numbers are good. Think about the changes YOU made / what you brought to the shooting match rather than what you’ve done.

Try to get a portfolio of achievements you’ve had against stock interview questions / competencies (e.g. customer focus, acting on initiative, communication) as well as any listed in the person competencies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

e-mail me and i will send you some info

Mounty_73

e-mail me and i will send you some info

You have email, thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Job interview etiquette’ is closed to new replies.