Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • job interview
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So I get an interview for a great graduate position at a place where I’ve done a lot of voluntary work hoping to get a job, with very little warning (urgent post). They have requested I bring my passport or birth certificate along as a mandatory requirement. I got the answering phone message last night and the interviews on monday…..HR are also shut.

Anyway my passport was stolen and god knows where my birth certificate is.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AM-7Ts-3wmY[/video]

I reckon border control was invented just to give these bureaucrats a job to do.

Wookster

It’s to do with your right to work in the UK a lot of places do it. Have you got a driving licence national Insurance card you can bring? Then explain re the lost passport and that you d a new one on order which you can sort today on line I think?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it’s an HR formality but if there are a lot of applicants it will be a quick way to cull the numbers.

Anyway my passport was stolen and god knows where my birth certificate is.

Ask your mum.

I misplaced my driving license & passport while all my stuff was being packed to ship to Oz – I was hiring a car the next morning. It’s amazing how hard you look when properly motivated.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would not say you have lost both your passport and birth certificate at a job interview as it says I am the kind of person who loses important documents

I would say they are kept at your parents and you have not had time to get them yet or some such similar lie that does not make it look like you lose stuff

As For HR its a win win fo the Daily Mail

they either are bureaucrats goner mad or they employ illegal immigrants either way middle england can moan

unknown
    Free Member

If you’re the right candidate for the job you’ll get it. Failing to bring documents isn’t a selection criteria for professional jobs, as above it’s so you can prove your right to work in the UK. Lots of places don’t accept driving licences, but if that’s all you can take you should have both parts (card and paper). And look into a replacement birth certificate, it should be quicker than a passport.

Drac

Mention you no longer have passport and have misplaced your Birth Certificate but will sort a replacement ASAP and provide them with it ASAP. Better than lying in an interview.

br
    Free Member

I’ve taken my passport to the last few interviews (as requested), no one has actually asked to see it yet…

They also ask for you to bring ALL education certificates – I’ve no idea where mine are as its +30 years since I left education and I’ve never in the past needed them.

cheez0
    Free Member

if the stealer of your passport turns up for an interview too, he will get the job, as he will be really organised and have got a replacement birth certificate also.

plus, when you spin your bullshit about your docs being at your parents house, you will be seen as the out an out fraudster you are and they will be on to immigration.

good luck with that!

ampthill

Its a hoop for immigration not a criteria

be strong and be honest

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have seen places ditch people for not providing documents when asked. If you need to slim down a list anything goes

unknown
    Free Member

I’d be stunned if they discounted a candidate who they already know, and who they’ve gone to the trouble of calling, if he didn’t have his docs to hand. Most of the time I only ask after an offer has been made, the reason people ask to see them at interview is to save time asking later.

jekkyl

Could say never travelled abroad so no passport.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Have you ever been concerned about identity theft? Probably not if you don’t know where your passport and birth certificate are.
    I presume you reported your passport as stolen and have already applied for a replacement along with a copy of your birth certificate.
    If not you need to start acting like a responsible adult and deal with important issues. As a prospective employer I would be very concerned about your attitude to security documents.
    Good luck with the interview.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘job interview’ is closed to new replies.