Job hunting

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Job hunting
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

As a contractor I used to take it in my stride – never got settled in one place and always on top of new stuff, everything was recent. Now I’ve been in the same place for over four years my brain’s stagnated and I’m actually feeling nervous about having to go through the routine again… I’m worried that I’ll glaze over in interviews like I do here at work and end up daydreaming about biking.

jojoA1

Wow, I thought I was the only person who worried about that! I feel so de-skilled and stagnant, I can’t even consider doing different work.

However, I reckon if I got the motivation to apply for other jobs, the adrenaline would ensure I paid attention.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’ve actually gained some good niche skills here, it’s my core skills that have flagged. Got some cramming to do, as the Americans say.

zaskar

My Dad is 59 in the same boat-wants to work-retrain/pcs/new fields.

Just enjoy the new adaptation and learning.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It’s not the new skills, it’s the forgetting the ones that my career is based on.

molgrip – I have an interview tomorrow and am desperately trying to remember what it is I do and what my key skills are. It is only 4 days since my last job FFS.

Please can someone remind me of my core skills and why I am the ideal candidate for Technical Pre-Sales consultant for a software company?

The only thing I can think of is ‘It is what I do and I am danm good at it.’

Spongebob

Why is everything so damn pressurised these days?

Getting an interview is the biggest hurdle – you are 90% of the way there, but the daft trendy business language some people use is really quite irritating. I think they like to feel up to date and want to impress everyone how clever they are – even if nobody knows what the hell they are on about! Too many bullshit management skills development courses etc!

If your CV isn’t awash with the latest buzz words and references to specific technical systems,architectures, S/W etc, they don’t seem to give you the time of day.

What should count in any permanent role is the nature of the person they are employing, their attitude, their intelligence, adaptability, their social skills. And of course the relevance of their experience. It would seem these agents just want a perfect skills match – I think they use word matching software a lot of the time. It takes a knowledgeble person to understand the wide variety of skills out there. I’m sure a lot of the stuff I know is completely alien to them. It would take a departmental manager to identify whether a candidate was a good match or not, but HR often do the screening. How many good people get passed up because of them?

My problem is that I spent too long faffing about with mainframe computers (more than 20 years) and am very much out of date. I’m struggling to find good matches. When I do, the agents that I speak to invent additional criteria, sometimes saying i’m too technical/not technical enough, or I simply never get to speak to them at all. I have lost count of the number of ignored applications.

It’s soul destroying!

Good luck with your interview, my advice is not to get wound up about core skills and other nonsense, but to relax and be yourself. Technical pre-sales guys have the less common ability of great social skills as well as having an good understanding of technology. If you have done this job well and for years, you should sail through the interview and they will bite your arm off (unless there are ten others with the same skills).

I look forward to hearing if you are successful.

Yeah, I should be okay. Just got a call from the boss who had to make me redundent and he is a mate of the bloke interviewing me tomorrow and has put in a good word* for me apparently. He has also given me the inside line on what they are looking for in terms of business/technical balance.

*Contrary to popular opinion TWUNT is not the good word for me that he used šŸ˜‰

RooleyMoor

WCA –

Your really good at presenting software solutions to end clients.

You have a full understanding of the software sales lifecycle.

You excel at requirements gathering and being able to position your companies solutions to the needs of the customer.

Excellent problem solving skills and teamwork.

does that sound about right?

Spongebob

Maybe RooleyMoor should apply!

RooleyMoor

no ta… i’m happy at the moment.. šŸ™„

That’s pretty much my script

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Spongey – I am a contractor, not a permie, and skills are everything. So I have to remember all about the stuff that’s on my CV that I used two years ago in case they grill me. Sometimes you get a grilling, sometimes you don’t. I also have to remember how to handle myself and project that cool in-command vibe that gets you hired. I also need to brush up my hypno-stare a la Arnold Rimmer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Job hunting’ is closed to new replies.