Job conundrum

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Job conundrum
  • Rockhopper

Currently I’m self unemployed.

I have an interview on Tuesday for a job within my industry that I’m fairly confident I’ll get.

I have another interview for a job outside my industry on the following Monday. I desperately want this job but the employer has a bit of reputation for sometimes taking months to come to a decision, or it could be days – who knows! Pay is far better and they advertise externally quite regularly if there are no internal applicants.

I really want to get out of my current industry but I need the money so if I get offered the job do i take it or turn it down hoping i get the other one? Or do i take it, then still go to the second interview then if i get offered that job I leave the first one, possibly after only a few weeks?

So, what would STW do?

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Are candidates in demand in your sector? If so and you do get an offer from the first one, tell them that you have a meeting on Monday that you’d like to attend and so will give feedback on their offer after that. In the second meeting, assuming it’s going well and they like, explain you have an offer from elsewhere and you’d really appreciate quick feedback.

If not, then this. It’s not ideal but you have to look after yourself.

Or do i take it, then still go to the second interview then if i get offered that job I leave the first one, possibly after only a few weeks?

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Take first job, go for second job interview, take it if offered.

Rockhopper

Thats my feeling – its the safest option! You are bang on, I have to think of myself at the moment!

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Yeah it’s a bit of a crappy thing to do to the first employer but the situation you’re in you have to be a bit selfish really

Rockhopper

I know, that’s the reason for my hesitation really.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

If the job you want more is in a different industry and you get it, you’re not going to be burning bridges, are you?

Different story if you were staying in the same area, possibly working with/opposite them in the future, but even then, taking then turning it down would be a pain, but hardly rare or completely unexpected. People looking for jobs often have more than one thing on the go.

as per Lunge, really.

Rockhopper

Yes by taking the second job I would be finished in my “real” job! I’m an architectural technologist who has missed out on Revit so jobs seem to be very few and far between. The other job is with Network Rail where in a year or so’s time I could be earning twice as much as I could ever expect in architecture, even the starting pay would exceed my last jobs wage.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

A bird in the hand is worth two in Kate Bush, or something.

If you walk out of the first one after a week, yes it’s shitty, but they’ll have a convenient list of other candidates to choose from. I doubt it’s far from a rare occurrence either as job seekers generally don’t apply for one job, they apply for several. And besides, most companies wouldn’t think twice about binning off an employee if it were in their best interests.

Rockhopper

That is so true!

croe

Or do i take it, then still go to the second interview then if i get offered that job I leave the first one, possibly after only a few weeks?

Yes, do this. Might seem shitty but always keep in mind that the employer would drop you without a second thought if it benefited them.

CountZero

If you walk out of the first one after a week, yes it’s shitty, but they’ll have a convenient list of other candidates to choose from. I doubt it’s far from a rare occurrence either as job seekers generally don’t apply for one job, they apply for several.

Work has been advertising for staff to join my team for some time, last year a girl came for an interview, she was highly suited to the job, was offered it but then declined and took one somewhere else.
    Follow your instincts as others have said.

Rockhopper

Had my interview with the architectural people this morning and they’ve just rung to offer me the job which I’ve accepted.
    Its with the local authority so crap pay but excellent conditions, 29 days leave plus bank holidays, plus flexi leave so you can earn an extra two days leave a month etc etc (and work from home as well which is really appealing). Only six miles from home to cycle in as well

Interview with Network Rail on Monday so lets see what happens! Potentially lots more money but its shift work with no flexibility.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

quality of life for first one sounds good.
    Might be crap atmosphere or not, easy commute plus flexi would win it for me TBH.

Rockhopper

Yes, I’m inclined to agree.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Network Rail is public sector lite anyway actual conditions may not be too from local authority.

Rockhopper

There is no doubt that its shift work though – weekends and bank holidays included in your normal hours, the only extra £ is for sundays. Shifts are 2pm till 10pm, 10pm till 6am and 6am till 2pm. No shift swapping though as they insist on at least 12 hours rest between shifts.

samperry25

Having worked 8 hour shifts and 12 hour shifts I certainly would suggest that you look closely at the shift patter before accepting. I used to do 7 on and 2 off which was awful. Luckily we do 12 hour shifts now and I feel much better or it.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Depends where you are in your career too – if it’s an opportunity to get experience in another industry, you have to weigh up the costs of getting that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.