Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Job Application Advice – how do I put a positive spin on a Settlement Agreement?
  • beamers

Morning All

A couple of months ago my previous employment came to an end when I was offered a Settlement Agreement to end my contract. The job was sending me round the bend and I was probably a couple of weeks away from handing in my notice anyway.

Any recruiting / HR gurus on here with any advice on how I should complete the box on job applications which asks why my previous employment came to an end? Settlement Agreements (according to ACAS) are defined as follows:

Settlement agreements are normally used to bring an employment relationship to an end in a mutually agreed way. They are often used in situations where an employer and employee feel that their employment relationship is no longer working and a ‘clean break’ is the best way forward. In these situations both parties can agree the basis for bringing the employment to an end.

Ta in advance.

Saccades
    Free Member

You were on a fixed term contract for a project that you either finished early or it was terminated.

For both sides it was easier to for a settlement agreement to break contract rather than you sitting around going mental doing nothing for X number of months.

lerk
    Free Member

I thought the first rule of Settlement Agreement Club, was that you didn’t mention Settlement Agreement Club???

Redundancy is the usual codeword isn’t it?

dannybgoode

Mutual agreement to part ways. All amicable and nothing to see here? That’s how I’d handle it. You weren’t fired and due tot he confidentiality clauses no doubt contained within the agreement they can’t spill the beans on you.

If, as part of the settlement agreement, redundancy is mentioned as a way out and you have a redundancy letter then use that.

I would be very surprised if the agreement does not contain some pro-forma reference that they have agreed to supply when asked and this will be bland but not incriminating…

kcal

Would have thought “left by mutual consent” would cover it.

If subject to compromise agreement then by definition – usually – terms are confidential.

matt_outandabout

As above, beneficial to end a fix term contract early for last employer – and you agreed to financial terms.

beamers

Cheers all – thanks for the help.

mrhoppy

Demonstrates negotiation skills too.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had a settlement agreement when I left my last job and it was never discussed when I moved to my new one. It’s part of the process of moving, not the reason for it – and it was the latter that recruiters etc. were interested in.

ourmaninthenorth

“role changed, which gave a great opportunity for a new challenge”

cynic-al
    Free Member

You resigned. It’s that simple…and true.

BigJohn

The project that I was engaged for came to an end.

badnewz
    Free Member

As above, also do not bring it up in any interviews unless they do. Just make sure you have a response.

br
    Free Member

I thought the first rule of Settlement Agreement Club, was that you didn’t mention Settlement Agreement Club???

Redundancy is the usual codeword isn’t it?

+1

closetroadie
    Free Member

As above, beneficial to end a fix term contract early for last employer – and you agreed to financial terms

+1

thecaptain
    Free Member

Redundancy has a specific meaning which (unless the term was actually used) probably doesn’t fit the situation. I’d steer clear of saying anything that is actually untrue….you can just say you resigned.

nickdavies

As above don’t mention redundancy. Any company worth its salt should enquire as to any settlement agreement, if one has been used then you would normally be privileged to certain information etc that may be of benefit to them, or cause them problems if the agreement gets broken.

Just tell them you left for mutual reasons and make sure you make them aware of anything that may be of issue in the agreement. These things can cost big money so it’s only fair to disclose really.

beamers

Thanks again everyone. Merry Christmas.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Job Application Advice – how do I put a positive spin on a Settlement Agreement?’ is closed to new replies.