Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Job app help, brain goo
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Right supporting statement for an online job app (website content admin, team tech support type role), manager would be my current managers manager i.e. They know me well, and workplace environment is informal-ish but in the council. There’s an emplyoment section that has loads of good stuff in it, but I have relevant volunteer/none work bits to add. I’ve got the statement sorted all I’m staring at unable to see words anymore is intro + conclusion.

Intro

In addition to the history given in the employment section, in particular at —, the following experience and strengths further demonstrate… arrgghh [why this job should clearly be mine, look I can tick every box going, hire me.]

trying not to over use the word experience, which is hard, it has no real synonym…

Conclusion

Thinking just the age old…

I look forward to discussing the role and how my experiences[arrgghhh] I can make a valauable contribution to [-] web presence …

Sorry I am being crap, but I HATE this, I really do. Can’t bare it. I have a hugely over sensitive cringe-metre. Just looking at the words above is making me curl up inside… If anyone has a good way of just saying the stuff above without the cringemeter going too far over say 13/10 I’d be ever so greatful…

Of course given the online form format, its not a covering letter, its a supporting statement for providing additional info, does it even need an intro + conclusion sign off?

Did I mention I hate this?

wordnumb
    Free Member

trying not to over use the word experience, which is hard, it has no real synonym…

Background in…
    Prior involvement with…
    Familiarity…
    Proven track record in using…
    Knowledge gained through training simulations and in the field.

hels
    Free Member

You have to pretend that they don’t know you at all. Big HR depts use a scoring process to sift applicants, with points for each of the Essential and Desirable qualities on the job app.

Make sure you have demonstrated how you have experience in ALL of them. The supporting statement is the bit where you get to mop up anything else.

It’s a job application, not a work of literature, don’t worry too much about using the same phrases, make those stone hearted HR jobbies suffer for their sins !

hels
    Free Member

And don’t forget to be sucky. Talk about how you would love the opportunity to work for such a great and well lead team, it will really add to you life and you have a great contribution etc (they have buckets in HR for vomming) and if it does get through to the final sift by the employing manager this kind of sycophancy can’t hurt.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got a bit of a grip again now, thanks both for the input. I have every bit they need ticked, and I have felt ‘encouraged’ to go for it by Manager, but it needs to a strong ap as I’m going to have to be a pain on pay if I get it as the bottom of the scale isn’t enough to live on :roll:, so it needs to be shiney to the HR lot in case we get to that stage. :mrgreen:

mightymule
    Free Member

” I am able to tolerate the company of people whom I hold in utter contempt without resorting to violence”

Always put that bit in 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

That would be a lie…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Job app help, brain goo’ is closed to new replies.