Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Jihadi jacks parents
  • MSP

This isn’t a thread about Jihadi Jack himself, but about his parents.

Sounds like they have been through several wringers the past few years, were put between a rock and a hard place, maybe made some bad decisions with good intentions. but the prosecution just feels like kicking and easy victim while they are down. I am not sure what purpose prosecuting them has served, but the most probable outcome would appear to be to make it a lot less likely for the families of the radicalised to co-operate with the authorities in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/21/messages-showed-strain-on-jack-letts-parents-isis

regenesis
    Free Member

Pay out tens of thousands of taxpayers money for £270’ish.
    Idiocy.

tomhoward

Yeah, the person in charge of the operation basically saying ‘it doesn’t matter what he told you or what you thought, you should have known he was gonna use the money for bad stuff.’ seems a bit harsh, especially over £322.

Admittedly the police told them not to, but must’ve been an awful position to be in.

I’ll not go into my feelings for the lad…

sarawak
    Free Member

They seem to be stuck up pompous parents who know their rights. They believe that as it is their son trying to behead the innocent then different rules apply. Clearly they have no sense of social responsibility and seem to have encouraged Jack to do what he wants, when he wants. The fact that they were told to steer clear of supporting him is a minor matter in their eyes. He might be breaking the law, but in their household he can do what he wants, when he wants.

He too seems to have no remorse and thinks that he should just be allowed to return home and carry on as before. Sod the wife and child he’s got over there – they are just a minor inconvenience now they are no longer needed.

He’s a spoiled brat but his parents will never ever believe that he has done any wrong. They got off lightly with a suspended sentence.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Interesting story, thanks to the OP for sharing.

I’ve got a ton of sympathy for the parents, I’ve even got a small amount of sympathy for the son, he sounds like he has a screw loose. (I still hope he won’t be returning to the UK any time soon.) I’m pretty sure I’d have done the same myself, yeah you might be contributing to the killing of innocents but you might just be providing a ticket home for your lad, most parents would take that bet.

In spite of all that I think prosecuting was the right call. They had several sophisticated attempts at getting money to him and it’s a high profile warning to other parents. (Allbeit one they won’t heed.) I think suspending the sentence was probably the right decision IMHO.

tomhoward

Have you all seen the BBC interviews with the parents/son? Sheds a lot of light.

tails
    Free Member

Just read about him briefly on Wikipedia, he has duel Canadian and British citizenship. He should be stripped of his British citizenship like they tried with Bagum. Guess it’s different rules for white people.

imnotverygood

Err… he has been stripped of his British citizenship.

outofbreath
    Free Member

He should be stripped of his British citizenship

You might be in luck:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/21/jihadi-jack-faces-stripped-british-citizenship-admits-enemy/

johnnystorm

While half of all British weapons sales go to Saudi Arabia so they can level Yemen I’m struggling with the moral reasons, if not the outright legal ones behind this case.

Edukator
    Free Member

Blair starts a religious war on false pretexts and still hasn’t been prosecuted. These people get prosecuted for trying to get their son out of a war. I know who I’d happily have dinner with. I’m sure that in their shoes I’d sleep much easier in jail than at home having attempted nothing.

People (and prosecutors) forget the western enthusiasm for the uprising in Syria. In the early years the rebels were portrayed as the good guys – Jack was already out there in 2014, before the west got involved as it became apparent that ISIS had hijacked the uprising and turned it into a jihad.

I’m sympathetic to the repatriation of fighters in the Kurdish camps, even if it means providing prison cells for them for however long it takes (if ever) to make them safe for release. A country should take responsibilty for its citizens, good and bad. Why should the Kurds have to deal with them?

greenskin
    Free Member

@Edukator Why should the Kurds have to deal with them?

Because they know exactly how the Kurds will ‘deal’ with them…

tomhoward

He should be stripped of his British citizenship like they tried with Bagum. Guess it’s different rules for white people.

BBC were saying the government said ‘we washed our hands of him the moment he joined IS’ but don’t let that get in your way…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Jihadi jacks parents’ is closed to new replies.