Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Jigsaw and Router for basic cabinets
  • kayak23

Mirka Abranet discs are great for improved dust extraction.

I’ve got a Mirka Deros which I love, but Peter Millard reviews a copy.

piemonster

Good lord, dust extraction, that does improve the experience really quite a lot.

That’s proven to be a good addition.

piemonster

I’m going with the Metabo SXE 450

It does actually have quite a lot of work to do so figure it’s worth spending a bit more.

dyna-ti

What exactly is it you’re intending on sanding ?. I only ask because we didnt explore the belt sander option.

piemonster

Worktop/desk, some parts of doors (with a detail sander), cabinets, and depending on how heavy it is, some skirting boards.

Possibly some smallish sections of wood floorboards, but if anything serious needs doing there I’ll be off to HSS.

piemonster

I “think” for the amount of material I’m expecting to take off. A belt sander might be too aggressive. A lot of this will be refinishing.

mattyfez

Rather than starting a new thread, I need a drill and possibly a jigsaw, and a router would be a nice to have..
    I found this modular kit but cant seem to find it for sale anywhere – anyone reccomend something simmilar?
    Just for light home DIY use, nothing too heavy:
    https://www.blackanddecker.com/product/bdcdmt1206kitc/matrixtm-20v-max-6-tool-cordless-combo-kit-storage-case?tid=585826

Thanks

dyna-ti

@Piemonster

They are good for heavy stock removal, with something like a 40/60/880 grit belt. But you can get belts at a finer grit, im using 150mm (Makita 9911)  If you’re sanding hardwood like oak, its a handy bit of kit

@Matty

Seems to be on sale in the US, as all the listings I can find are quoted in $$$. So maybe not available here. Price seems to equate to £200.

For a modular system, I reckon your best bet would be Ryobi. And they’ve got a hell of a range of tools.

Ryobi starter kit – £199

https://uk.ryobitools.eu/diy-power-tools/combo-kits/r18ck3d/r18ck3d-2c20s/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5duJ1afS9wIVGertCh2MLgBvEAQYAyABEgJWrfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

mattyfez

@dyna-ti

Thanks..hmm might look at second hand stuff, but that poses issues as might get duff batteries and I don’t want to buy anything thats been nicked out of someones van!

piemonster

@mattyfez

Is there a tool club near you?

I have this just down the road…https://www.theecologycentre.org/tool-library

piemonster

Jigsaw blades, do good ones make much of a difference?

I basically have no room for a bandsaw. So end up using a jigsaw for certain jobs and tidying it up afterwards.

E.g. I made some Gallows shelf brackets copying a shelf put up by the previous home owner, where the top of the wall facing part comes through a notch in the shelf, this raised part has a screw for mounting to the wall. This requires a notch cutting i to the shelf.

The blades I have are some dirt cheap B&Q jobs found in the shipping container tool emporium, the Jigsaw is an old but seemingly decent “borrowed” Bosch Professional thing. Am i going to see much of an improvement in cut quality with decent blades?

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.