Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 215 total)
  • Jess Varnish
  • Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

I don’t think Sutton makes the sole decision on the womens track team, I’m sure it is discussed with others.

Aye, but then he communicates the decision…

Premier Icon nbt
    Free Member

Jess has released a statment

Statement by Jess Varnish.My contract was not renewed by British Cycling after the 2016 World Championships. I…

Posted by Jess Varnish on Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Premier Icon Speeder

reggiegasket – Member
    Not a good thing to do Jess, I suggest.

What else is she to do? It’s the only form of redress she has. they’re th eonly game in town. She’s just been made redundant from a whole carreer not a job and I’m not surprised she’s lashing out.

BC’s pure concentration on the pointy end to the exclusion of all others is really screwing up the sport.

Premier Icon DaRC_L

To extrapolate & paraphrase

should someone who is sexist be making decisions about women

welcome to the real world 🙄 I think it goes on quite a lot

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

I don’t think i know anyone who has worked with both Wiggins and Cooke, so it wouldn’t really be a worthwhile comparison to make.

Some people who know them say they’re difficult to work with when their minds are focussed on racing. My only surprise is that anyone would be surprised.

welcome to the real world I think it goes on quite a lot

Which is why I support women like Nicole Cooke who speak out about it.

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Free Member

From the whole of this debacle, I’m pretty tempted to not renew my BC membership when it lapses. Any alternatives? I only use it for the legal cover these days anyway. The CRC discount is a bonus, but one I’ve only used once in my years of membership.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

She’s just been made redundant from a whole career not a job and I’m not surprised she’s lashing out.

It’s unsurprising, I’ll give you that.

But there are two elements to this. One is whether Varnish is good enough. And second is how to handle the situation if she is judged by BC not to be.

Varnish seems to me to be focusing on the second part, rather than the first.

Is she really saying she is good enough? Her statement doesn’t appear to use any obvious evidence that she is.

Sexism or no sexism… by focusing on the process of terminating her contract and the things said (or not said) she deflects the discussion away from the bigger issue of whether BC were correct to terminate her contract.

In other words, this has become how it was done, not why it was done. Such is news these days…

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Free Member

She has said she’s good enough if you read the FB statement. She mentions her lap times for her position as justification.

She also says BC refused to discuss her data and she was not put on review at any point. So she’s probably pretty surprised at why this has happened too.

Free Member

Presumably the criteria for deciding if she is good enough is more than just Varnish thinking she is 8)

Is there an actual objective measure? I thought the qualification points fell short…? Is there more to it than that?

Premier Icon Clover

You have to race to gain points to qualify. BC have made some odd choices about entering races – and not just on the road / track.

Premier Icon Speeder

I’m not up on track stuff – is there anyone in the team that’s better at her events?

bottom line is we should always try and gain qualification by using the best team at every opportunity and fill the quota with the fastest riders in the country each of whom whould be either funded or have the option to self fund if considered “less good”. To do anything else is ridiculous.

This only aiming for gold is bull. Just look at the mess they’ve made of BMX and that letter that’s just appeared on the front page.

Clock’s ticking BC – get your house in order.

Premier Icon rusty90
    Free Member

BC have made some odd choices about entering races – and not just on the road / track.

Indeed Pro XC Racer Jenny Copnall Speaks Out At British Cycling

So we reached 2007 and a home World Championships at Fort William. BC did not select any senior women for the race, while selecting various male riders based on both domestic and international results. One rider had not even raced outside the UK that year. I was told that I had been selected to ride the relay on the Thursday. When I discovered that the UCI had a rule stating that all riders in the relay must also be racing in their own races (in other words, you could not bring a relay-specific squad), I thought BC would relent. Instead Dave Brailsford, then Head of Performance alongside Shane Sutton, emailed me back to answer this query. Yes, he said, that was indeed the rule and BC would enter me into the World Championship Senior Women’s race. However, they would withdraw me from the race after the relay on the grounds of being unwell or injured. I found this unbelievable. Not only did BC not want any women to race at their home World Championships, they were prepared to break UCI rules to prevent that from happening.

Unbelievable

Premier Icon gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Curious Yellow wrote:

From the whole of this debacle, I’m pretty tempted to not renew my BC membership when it lapses. Any alternatives? I only use it for the legal cover these days anyway. The CRC discount is a bonus, but one I’ve only used once in my years of membership.

I’d be interested in answers to this, I’ve just decided not to renew my membership next month either.

Premier Icon Speeder

Who is BC accountable to? Domestic of course – the UCI are equally as ******* so no use on that front.

Premier Icon chakaping

she deflects the discussion away from the bigger issue of whether BC were correct to terminate her contract.

The alleged institutional sexism is the bigger issue here though.

Premier Icon cp

Yeah, I’ve pretty much decided not to renew next month.

Premier Icon simondbarnes

Definitely not renewing my license again. If there was a cancel membership button on their website I would have done it already.

Premier Icon OmarLittle
    Free Member

Is there an actual objective measure? I thought the qualification points fell short…? Is there more to it than that?

Those on the podium programme are there because of their potential for Olympic medals. If they dont qualify for the Olympics it is hard to justify that funding for another cycle – unless they were progressing significantly and looked like they were on a path to medals at a future games – which i’m not sure would apply to Jess Varnish, she seems to have stagnated a bit.

I dont think anyone has ever gone from podium to the level below (senior academy) you either progress up the ladder or you are out. Harsh but just the way it is. The riders are not funded because they are the best the UK has to offer but because they either are or have the potential to be the best in the world.

I’m not up on track stuff – is there anyone in the team that’s better at her events?

bottom line is we should always try and gain qualification by using the best team at every opportunity and fill the quota with the fastest riders in the country each of whom whould be either funded or have the option to self fund if considered “less good”. To do anything else is ridiculous.

At the moment no, but in 4 years probably

The team has had issues for a while partly due to Becky James being injured who is their top sprinter but they’ve struggled more than that. Katy Marchant has transitioned from Hepthathlon and made good progress and looks a good prospect for the future, Victoria Williamson had a really bad crash at a 6 day race over the winter, Shanaze Reade seems to be targetting Tokyo in 2020. Jess Varnish was (and is still) the best ‘man 1’ out of that group, but that team isn’t good enough.

The mens team sprint actually had similar issues in the lead up to the London games – they were misfiring and went through a lot of options and riders ended up losing their funding too – they eventually managed to get Philip Hindes in from Germany and things clicked. The pool of sprint talent for UK women is not great at the moment, there are some juniors who will hopefully make the step up in the next couple of years but there is no-one in the senior academy (the level below podium). The lack of females there (there are 4 men at that level) might seem like the result of sexism favouring male athletes but the truth is the riders are just not good enough.

Totally agree with you on fielding the best team to get the points required for qualification, there are plenty of other opportunities to bring in new blood but first you’ve got to be at the games to have a chance of winning a medal!

Premier Icon dragon
    Free Member

i’m not sure would apply to Jess Varnish, she seems to have stagnated a bit.

+1

We spend a lot of money on funding sport in this country so rightly the people paying the bills expect results.

Premier Icon PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We spend a lot of money on funding sport in this country so rightly the people paying the bills expect results.

We do?

Premier Icon Spin
    Free Member

Why are some people discussing money and results?

They’re utterly irrelevant.

Premier Icon stwhannah

I guess for legal cover the rebranded ctc is an option? As for supporting racing, I gave the Racing Chance Foundation the money I would have spent on a BC race licence. Road focused, but they’ve done more for women’s cycling in a year as BC have done in its lifetime.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

The plot thickens.

Premier Icon jamj1974

Which is why I support women like Nicole Cooke who speak out about

Bang on Ransos!

Premier Icon Blackhound

I am not well enough informed on the current performance levels of the track squads including Jess to comment on her ability to get a medal in Rio. So maybe Jess has stagnated and the belief is she will not improve in the next four years in Tokyo and lottery funding is best spent elsewhere. I understand that and that difficult decisions have to be made

What I find a bit odd is that her contract is up now. I would have expected it to cover the Olympic cycle and finish on say, 1st September not just a few months before Rio.

Premier Icon nickc

is she really saying she is good enough? Her statement doesn’t appear to use any obvious evidence that she is.

During the 2 year Olympic qualifying process, I gained more qualifying points than any other British female sprint rider. I was consistently performing in the top 5 in the World for Lap 1 times in the Team Sprint, and I have also qualified Olympic places in the individual Sprint and Keirin. Since 2012 I have won medals at the World & European Championships and Commonwealth Games.

erm…

Premier Icon gavstorie
    Free Member

British “skinny wheels and lycra” Cycling… Anything else and they aren’t interested..

MTB and BMX would be better to ditch them and set something else up instead.

Free Member

erm…

yes but is that the criteria used to determine Rio selection?
    It sounds good, of course, but if the criteria is something else, some other measure, then it doesn’t matter how good it sounds.

Premier Icon nickc

Since 2012 I have won medals at the World & European Championships and Commonwealth Games.

In the last 4 years she’s medalled (sorry) at all these events. Under any selection process that’s a winning athlete, no?

but if the criteria is something else, some other measure

It would appear that all she needed was a smaller arse… 🙄

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

From the whole of this debacle, I’m pretty tempted to not renew my BC membership when it lapses. Any alternatives?

CTC or Cycling UK as they are now known.

Premier Icon twistedpencil

Be interested to see how independent and open it is…

Premier Icon OmarLittle
    Free Member

In the last 4 years she’s medalled (sorry) at all these events. Under any selection process that’s a winning athlete, no?

It’s a little misleading and sounds more impressive than it is.

The stand out results in the last couple of years are in events where the field was weak. Eg, Commonwealth games – a small field with a huge variation in ability then more recently the Hong Kong round of the world cup. The top nations sent their B teams because they had already qualified for the Olympics (which is of course what GB should have been doing and where her criticism has a lot of merit – although the team did have ample opportunity to right things before it came to a head in London, however they were just not good enough when it mattered.)

That has been the big problem – in the big events where the opposition is of the standard expected at the Olympics then the results have been pretty poor. Both in team sprint and individual events – struggling to make quarter finals and so on. The BC track squad is the most well funded and resourced team about so those sorts of performances have not been acceptable. When the team sprint team didnt make the Olympics then her role in the squad was redundant. It is harsh but that is the nature of elite sport particularly when nearly all of the funding is based on medal return.

Premier Icon gwaelod
    Free Member

Sutton suspended says BBC

Premier Icon Speeder

It’s not really about Sutton though is it? It obviously goes much deeper than that.

Lets hope that review has some decent insight and teeth.

Premier Icon pondo

Aye.

Sutton suspended, says the BBC

Only met him once and he seemed an utterly straight-up guy. Let’s hope there’s a investigation to sort things one way or another.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Hmmm, it’s going to be trial by media and lots of “he said, she said” in the news… I am not sure what sort of conclusions people are looking for, that Sutton is a bit of a bigot? Maybe, or should the organisations culture be examined a bit more closely to consider how such behaviour has (apparently) gone unchallenged…

Quite apart from Varnish’s experience I have to admit that I’m a bit uncomfortable with the implications for women’s (and other minority groups) cycling. People tend not to thrive in an environment where they don’t feel valued or encouraged, it’s a bit chicken and egg, knock someone enough and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, certain “incremental gains” happen in an athletes head…
    I accept that is all a bit speculative though TBH…

Beyond all of this is BC still the organisation the majority of its membership still want it to be?
    It was touched on earlier, it’s becoming seen as an Olympic medal machine. That’s not all it is but there is a big focus on competition, and Olympic success is visible and does drive cycling in general and BC’s profile to a far greater extent than it did at the turn of the century…

Premier Icon eshershore
    Free Member

From the BBC article:

In the Mail report, Darren Kenny, one of Britain’s most decorated para-cyclists, claims he heard members of the British disability team referred to in highly derogatory terms by Sutton.

“The attitude towards them was abysmal,” said Kenny. “We were tolerated at best. The term used to refer to us was generally ‘gimps’, with another word in front of that.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

There is a fine line between success and failure, I would never what Brad, Chris et all have to say about both Shane and the culture ..

Premier Icon lunge

I fear my comments that it was Jess with sour grapes may well prove to be entirely inaccurate here, my bad.

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out, there is no doubt that BC is a brutal and cutthroat environment, that is what you need to get the success it has done. In the wider world, seen out of context, that may not come across very well at all. However, that is no excuse for bullying and for what looks like some pretty nasty discrimination too, the question is how deep in the organisation it runs.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 215 total)

The topic ‘Jess Varnish’ is closed to new replies.