Viewing 40 posts - 20,561 through 20,600 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • dazh

Today showing that the left is still **** and will be for some time.

It will be as long as their ‘own side’ care more about appeasing the racists on the right wing than defending members and politicians who have given decades of their life to the party. It’s amazing that people in the labour party and the wider labour ‘movement’, including those in the media who are supposedly sympathetic to the centre-left, have allowed the right wing to brand them as racists whilst allowing the racism on the right to be completely ignored.

You know, the racism which allows a western government’s army to murder kids with almost no criticism. The racism which allows bombs to be dropped indiscriminately on communities as punishment for the actions of extremists. The racism which allows a whole country to be effectively imprisoned behind a wall and left to poverty and destitution. I hear very little about that racism, and it seems the current labour leadership has decided to ignore it and enable it at the altar of political expediency.

I’m done with them (was a while ago tbh). They do not represent the interest of working people or the cause of social justice and fairness. They represent only their own tawdry ambition. I hope to god they get nowhere near power.

footflaps

Booting grandad out of the party so publically, and with some considerable justification, will no doubt be a huge vote-winner.

Yep, huge win for the Labour Party as a political party, can see this helping them a lot on their way back from electoral desert.

binners

I hope to god they get nowhere near power.

To be fair Daz, permanent Tory rule does seem to be the default position that those on the left feel happiest with.

I’ll tell you who won’t be happy that grandad has been booted out by Starmer…

The Tory party

He was all their birthdays and Christmases come at once.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SamB
    Free Member

To be fair Daz, permanent Tory rule does seem to be the default position that those on the left feel happiest with.

More nonsense. A left-leaning Labour party would have won in 2017 if it weren’t for the internal efforts of the PLP and the right – who would rather have the Tories in power than the left. As a result, you now have Boris & Brexit. Good job!

DrJ

is it the elders of Zion?

Close – it’s the government – Tories, if I remember rightly, and in this case headed by a lawyer whose firm does considerable work for …. you guessed it, the government!

binners

A left-leaning Labour party would have won in 2017 if it weren’t for the internal efforts of the PLP and the right

Another delusion the left likes to comfort itself with. More tinfoil-helmetted conspiracy theories. Winning the argument? Yeah, right. They lost because they were unelectable. Even against someone as hapless as Theresa May. This country would never elect somebody like Corbyn as PM. Over the following 2 years, they became even less electable as they trooped off into electoral oblivion. Corbynism failed by any metric. And the fault for that lies squarely at the door of one Mr J Corbyn.

Its brilliant to see the back of him as it just makes the labour party more electable

I just hope that his fellow cult members follow through on what they’ve been threatening for years and get their messiah to form another party. It’ll be amusing watching them all lose their deposits at a general election

IHN

Just as long as the Red Team win, who cares what they stand for, right?

I’d argue it’s marginally better than “it’s not fair we didn’t win, look what we stood for”

kerley
    Free Member

Corbyn was useless at dealing with anything when he was leader which very much includes this issue. It has now come back to bite him. He must have known, deep down, that he just wasn’t very good at being a leader mustn’t he? Johnson seems to have the same issue though.

IHN

Johnson seems to have the same issue though.

I heard it beautifully described as “Boris Johnson, the man who’s taken to being Prime Minister like a badger takes to the fast lane of the M1” 🙂

binners

He must have known, deep down, that he just wasn’t very good at being a leader mustn’t he?

I think you’re massively underestimating his self-regard.

Anyone with a shred of humility would have gone after losing one election, seeing it correctly as a nation passing judgment on them.

Not Jezza.

He fulfilled his destiny in delivering the most thumping electoral defeat for 85 years

johnx2
    Free Member

A left-leaning Labour party would have won in 2017

…”would have” is doing some very heavy lifting in that sentence. We still failed to attract enough of the progressive vote even with a lib dem post-coalition total collapse.

SamB
    Free Member

Another delusion the left likes to comfort itself with. More tinfoil-helmetted conspiracy theories. Winning the argument? Yeah, right. They lost because they were unelectable.

So you’re saying the left do want to get into power? In direct contradiction of your earlier position?

IHN

So you’re saying the left do want to get into power?

I’ve no doubt they do. They just fail to make the connection that, for that to happen, what they want policy and leadership wise has to coincide with what enough of the electorate want. The problem, as the left see it, is that it’s not them that’s wrong, it’s the voters.

binners

The problem, as the left see it, is that it’s not them that’s wrong, it’s the voters.

Absolutely nail on head

Corbyn is the living embodiment of this. Because he exists in such a state of pious righteousness, he can’t even conceive of the idea that he is wrong about anything. Therefore no compromise will be brokered about anything because anyone who doesn’t wholeheartedly agree with him is not only wrong but morally inferior.

He’s still doing it today. Simply refusing to accept the fact that he is in the wrong, despite all the evidence. And all his followers are doing the same because they’re always right about absolutely everything.

Like I said, the Tory’s won’t be happy to see loads of outraged Corbynite ‘lefties’ venting their righteousness at the present moderate labour leadership, as that doesn’t suit their agenda at all.

PrinceJohn

I’ve no doubt they do. They just fail to make the connection that, for that to happen, what they want policy and leadership wise has to coincide with what enough of the electorate want. The problem, as the left see it, is that it’s not them that’s wrong, it’s the voters.

My parents who have consistently voted for the Tories over the years, but would now vote for Starmer is what this is about.

We have the most far right government we have had for years. Being radically different isn’t goin got cut it, to get power back, the left need to move slightly to the right, not further left – otherwise they are too far from the status quo.

dissonance

Being radically different isn’t goin got cut it, to get power back, the left need to move slightly to the right, not further left – otherwise they are too far from the status quo.

The flaw there is that by moving right then the status quo becomes further and further right. There is a good reason why we have the most right wing government for years. Its because the baseline has been steadily moved rightwards.

dazh

My parents who have consistently voted for the Tories over the years, but would now vote for Starmer is what this is about.

And you can’t see why people on the left who wish for a fairer and more equal world would have a problem with a government which appeals to lifelong tory voters?

martinhutch

I personally think a fairer and more equal world should be imposed by force, rather than relying on democracy.

kerley
    Free Member

The key word there is wish…

johnx2
    Free Member

The flaw there is that by moving right then the status quo becomes further and further right. There is a good reason why we have the most right wing government for years. Its because the baseline has been steadily moved rightwards.

Are you saying that it’s because at the last election Labour had moved significantly to the right that we’ve now got the most right wing government? Or the one before?

binners

You have to deal with the world as it is, not with how you’d like it to be.

Until you grasp that simple fact, you’re never going to get into power

We’ve just had idealogical purity tested to destruction, and look where it’s got us

An 80 seat Tory majority

That’s Corbyns legacy

It really is time for him to shuffle off to the allotment once and for all. He’s done enough damage

dissonance

Or the one before?

For the last 20 years or so with a shift somewhat backwards in the last 10. Which is why we have slightly left wing positions described as hard left whereas hard right positions are claimed to be normal.
    The chase the right rightwards will end up with us being the USA.

binners

The chase the right rightwards will end up with us being the USA.

Did you miss something? We effectively become an outlying state of the US on January the first, next year. Something else that grandad needs to shoulder a heft dose of responsibility for, due to his two month sabbatical during May and June 2016, but won’t

dazh

You have to deal with the world as it is, not with how you’d like it to be.

Well then there’s no point in democracy or politics and we should revert to one party government by technocrats. That’s essentially what we’ve done in any case. We’re so bloody stupid we’ve allowed the people who look down on us and don’t give a shit about us to dictate to us how the world should be, and how we should accept our place in it. As I’ve said many times, we get what we deserve.

It really is time for him to shuffle off to the allotment once and for all.

He already had. If you don’t think this is political then you’re naive. He’s done nothing more than devote his life to the party and its causes. Try to imagine what it must feel like for a lifelong campaigner against racism to be labelled as the very thing he has spent his life fighting, and then having to watch the people he thought were on his side ganging up against him with those calling him a racist. It’s beyond cruel, and its completely indefensible.

timbog160

Good riddance – it’s a shame it is only a suspension but hopefully will be made permanent soon. I have supported and voted for the Labour Party for all of my life, but I have never ever seen it in a more hopeless position than it was under Corbyn and his cronies.

binners

He’s done nothing more than devote his life to the party and its causes.

This morning’s report says otherwise. It states clearly, with plenty of evidence that he tolerated an atmosphere where antisemitism was rife. You may not want to believe that, but there it is. Deal with it. Have a listen to Luciana Berger and what she was subjected to, while the leader’s office did nothing.

The delusion and denial in Corbyn’s supporters is an incredible thing to witness. It’s like you inhabit some alternative universe where pesky things like facts aren’t allowed to intrude on the sanctity of St Jeremy

It really is a weird cult.

nicko74

And you can’t see why people on the left who wish for a fairer and more equal world would have a problem with a government which appeals to lifelong tory voters?

Question: how do you think democracy works?

Those voters aren’t going anywhere; they can’t be shouted into oblivion – they will still exist at the next election, and the one after that, and the party that gets to form a government is the one that appeals to them.

El-bent
    Free Member

Well he said voted tory for years, not lifelong tory voters, looks the same, not the same. You’re never going to get too many lifelong tory voters to vote for the other side, so you need to get the swingers onside, which Corbyn wasn’t going to do.

Again our voting system has caused this, and by the end of the next four years its going to be harder with nations potentially leaving the union, and whatever gerrymandering the tories are going to do with boundaries.

To be honest, I’m not sure the antisemitism thing was a huge vote loser, but instead the red wall voted for the oven ready brexit deal which is still sitting in the frozen section of the local supermarket, fools…

But it was something that was being used as ammunition against Labour, and the action today is more about creating a larger gap between Labour and the Tories.

piemonster

Well then there’s no point in democracy or politics

utter toss. Just because you’re not getting the result you want doesn’t mean there’s no point.

piemonster

To be honest, I’m not sure the antisemitism thing was a huge vote loser, but instead the red wall voted for the oven ready brexit deal which is still sitting in the frozen section of the local supermarket, fools…

I think you’ll find the freezer is switched off and the contents riddled with Salmonella

piemonster

Those voters aren’t going anywhere; they can’t be shouted into oblivion – they will still exist at the next election, and the one after that, and the party that gets to form a government is the one that appeals to them.

Good luck getting that reality acknowledged

DrJ

Have a listen to Luciana Berger

You mean the director of Labour Friends of Israel? the organisation who excused the killing of Palestinian civilians … ??

DrJ

But it was something that was being used as ammunition against Labour, and the action today is more about creating a larger gap between Labour and the Tories.

Well it kept binners entertained for a while.

mrchrispy

screw him, after he enabled Brexit I couldnt give a toss how he feels

fin25
    Free Member

I think it’s probably time the Labour party spent less time worrying about Israel and more time worrying about problems it has a cat in hell’s chance of solving.

DrJ

I think it’s probably time the Labour party spent less time worrying about Israel and more time worrying about problems it has a cat in hell’s chance of solving.

You’re right – just a bunch of letterboxes. Who cares if they get killed?

nickc

Try to imagine what it must feel like for a lifelong campaigner against racism to be labelled as the very thing he has spent his life fighting

Well, anybody else would probably reflect on the report and over their tenure as a leader and look to see what they perhaps could’ve done better, as let’s be honest, none of us are perfect, and we can always improve on our blindspots.

Because he exists in such a state of pious righteousness, he can’t even conceive of the idea that he is wrong about anything

But you do somewhat prove Binner’s point for him. St Corbyn cannot be wrong, so therefore the “system” is set up to make him fail… You have to admit, it’s more than a bit delusional.

andylc
    Free Member

In Corbyn’s early days as Labour leader I supported him and hoped he would be a positive force for change.
    I can’t claim to have researched him enough to be fully informed, but he had multiple opportunities to stamp down much harder on the anti-semitism issue and completely failed to do so. Anything other than an abject apology at this point is pretty unbelievable, and suspension / expulsion seems pretty much the right response.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Not really, they weren’t all Brexit voters

The real issue was Corbyn and his baggage and the manifesto and all the spending promises they heaped on top of it. Nobody believed it was realistic, outriders such Richard Burgon then completed the image of a fantasy party

binners

You’re right – just a bunch of letterboxes. Who cares if they get killed?

Aaaah… that old chestnut. Anyone who doesn’t think Corbyn is wonderful is clearly endorsing the killing of Palestinian children?

I just wished that during his leadership he appeared to care as much about what was going on in Bolton as what was happening in Bolivia

Case in point: while Andy Burnham was trying to get a deal for Manchester in the middle of a global pandemic, with an enormous recession looming where the poorest will be hit hardest, Jezza has finger on the nations pulse, as always 🙄

Clown!

Viewing 40 posts - 20,561 through 20,600 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.