Viewing 40 posts - 18,121 through 18,160 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • DrJ

what bit in the cited sources is untrue? The bit that Corbyn was in the pay of Press TV

Corbyn’s work for the Iranian government and Press TV

I didn’t say he was “in the pay of Iran”

and then:

we can tell that you’re neither familiar with the facts nor bothering to read what’s written

Boring.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’ve heard he banged some black chic.

Betamax (Corbs always a stickler) sex tape soon to be released on xhamster.

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

“Boring”

Eh. I suppose we can add to that list that you also don’t know how quotation marks work, DrJ. There’s a big difference between the regime and the country.

If you ever get interested in such boring questions like “how do you reconcile Corbyn taking thousands of pounds from a fascist theocracy with Labour values?”, do pop back and let us know.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Some say he breaths through his ears and on Wednesdays he eats nettle soup with bumblebee jambalaya.

zippykona

I’m assuming there are leave labour supporters. What is their opinion of jc?

kimbers

I smell a general election in the air

Let the monstering commence….

dissonance

Let the monstering commence

On the plus side it might give singletracks Labour* moderates some new lines to try.

*by Labour I mean wanting Labour to do their personal bidding without necessarily bothering to join the party.

Northwind

Interesting how these stories lead with the fact that she’s jewish and ignore that she’s one of those linked to the threat of a breakaway party…

No denying that she’s been a target of terrible antisemitism in the past but seriously, “I don’t want to be in this party” is a pretty good reason for the party to want to kick her out. She is not their boss, she is their rep.

I wouldn’t want her representing me, put it that way, and how do you go into a general election with a member that might take your votes then run off with them?

andrewreay

How does LB’s ‘disloyalty’ compare with Corbyn’s own incredibly weak voting discipline?

Someone with his background and voting record just cannot command, let alone demand, loyalty.

Also, McDonnell castigating the hate campaign against the alleged anti-semite Jackie Walker, but just hours earlier encourage 8.5 months pregnant LB to declare her loyalty to avoid abuse is astounding.

The hypocrisy beggars belief.

Northwind

andrewreay

How does LB’s ‘disloyalty’ compare with Corbyn’s own incredibly weak voting discipline?

When did Corbyn ever threaten to form a breakaway party? She’s not being told to “declare her loyalty to avoid abuse”, there’s a long way between “loyalty” and “literally leaving the party and forming another rival one”. Nor is a no confidence vote “abuse”, that’s 2 different matters (abuse shouldn’t be tolerated but the vote is just democracy)

And it’s not Corbyn that’s doing it, so what does his voting record have to do with it? It’s her local party. You know, the people who choose who their candidate should be.

dissonance

Someone with his background and voting record just cannot command, let alone demand, loyalty.

Leaving aside the fact you managed to skip over the fact it was her local party and had sod all to do with Corbyn rather than just regurgitating the old Corbyn undisciplined votes have you actually bothered to look at the cases where he did rebel. Heaven forbid someone vote for holding an inquiry into a dubious war.

andrewreay

I think you’ll find he found more than the topic of Iraq to vote against. Take a look and the number of times he rebelled and the sheer variety of topics. There weren’t more than 500 separate parliamentary votes on the Iraq war.

Fine for him to follow his conscience, rather different for everyone else now he’s in charge.

For comparison, Tom Watson’s record (first) followed by Jeremy Corbyn’s (Sourece: The Public Whip)

Tom Watson
    From To Party Rebellions
    9 Jun 2017 Lab 1 vote out of 202, 0.5%
    8 May 2015 3 May 2017 Lab 1 vote out of 228, 0.4%
    6 May 2010 30 Mar 2015 Lab 8 votes out of 610, 1.3%
    5 May 2005 12 Apr 2010 Lab 5 votes out of 952, 0.5%
    7 Jun 2001 11 Apr 2005 Lab 6 votes out of 961, 0.6%

Jeremy Corbyn
    From To Party Rebellions
    9 Jun 2017 Lab 1 vote out of 241, 0.4%
    8 May 2015 3 May 2017 Lab 2 votes out of 258, 0.8%
    6 May 2010 30 Mar 2015 Lab 46 votes out of 909, 5.1%
    5 May 2005 12 Apr 2010 Lab 238 votes out of 949, 25.1%
    7 Jun 2001 11 Apr 2005 Lab 172 votes out of 729, 23.6%
    1 May 1997 14 May 2001 Lab 77 votes out of 889, 8.7%

Northwind

andrewreay

Fine for him to follow his conscience, rather different for everyone else now he’s in charge.

Once again with feeling- voting with your conscience is defensible (and you’ll notice he’s taken no action whatsoever against people who’ve voted against him).

Insisting you have the right to local party loyalty and complaining about a no-confidence vote, while talking about abandoning your party- their party- and forming a breakaway rival party, is quite different.

Or, to put it a different way- you can’t rationally defend someone for threatening to break away from their party, and at the same time criticise her party for wanting to break away from her. She’s said she doesn’t know if she wants to represent them any more but they’re supposed to back her to the hilt? And that’s where Corybn’s voting record becomes relevant- he, the known rebel, still had the support of his local party members and his constituency. She can’t say the same.

rone

I smell a general election in the air

Let the monstering commence….

Giggle. Too right. What are they scared of?

Dangerous hero – backfired on twitter that one. Apparently he can’t tell the difference between Heinz baked beans and Tesco home brand. Now I would mark him down for that as Crosse and Blackwell are the best.

andrewreay

And that’s where Corybn’s voting record becomes relevant- he, the known rebel, still had the support of his local party members and his constituency. She can’t say the same.

Well, there was no vote so we don’t know what the constituency thinks on her role. We do know the views of one old boy who tabled the vote. He’d gone on record as saying LB should be: “exposed for the disruptive Zionist she is”. I’d like to hope that this isn’t a widely held view in Wavertree.

We do know how the constituency voted in the referendum, and LB is supporting her constituents in this respect.

Northwind

andrewreay

Well, there was no vote so we don’t know what the constituency thinks on her role

Well, no- we know they voted for her as a representative of the Labour party, now she’s threatening to leave the party.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Or, to put it a different way- you can’t rationally defend someone for threatening to break away from their party, and at the same time criticise her party for wanting to break away from her.

*If* the reason the party want to break away from her is that they consider her a “disruptive Zionist” [1] *then* I think it would be reasonable to defend her for wanting to break away from the party and also criticise the party for wanting her out.

[1] https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/luciana-berger-called-disruptive-zionist-by-labour-member-proposing-no-confidence-motion-in-her-1.479721

dissonance

Take a look and the number of times he rebelled and the sheer variety of topics.

I have. For the mix of subjects any idea whether they were free votes or not? Rather important for your claim.
    Also have you seen the sheer number relating to specific subjects eg ID cards and the Iraq war (plus the aftermath eg whether to have an inquiry and if so how)?
    Also, which of these did he go against his local constituency party?

Fine for him to follow his conscience, rather different for everyone else now he’s in charge

Can you name the people he has kicked out of the party? You do realise it was the local party who did it not him? Indeed he was on the record as saying it was wrong.

andrewreay

Free vote easily resolved by comparing with Tom Watson’s rate. Hence the inclusion of his data as a comparator above. Check Paul Flynn if you want another.

JC has consistently said nothing. Instead, John McDonnell goes on the airwaves demanding a statement of loyalty from LB when she’s about to give birth.

Nice.

dissonance

Free vote easily resolved by comparing with Tom Watson’s rate

No it really isnt. Try again.

JC has consistently said nothing.

No. Try again.

kimbers

I have plenty of issue swith corbyn but the headlines that have come out of this book so far seem not to be of any relevance

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-dangerous-hero-mail-on-sunday-unfit-for-office-tom-bower-labour-brexit-expose-a8772416.html?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

His first wife is apparently quoted as saying, “Throughout the four years of our marriage, he never read a single book”

If this is true, he should be off to the Tower quicksmart.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I have plenty of issue swith corbyn but the headlines that have come out of this book so far seem not to be of any relevance

Agree, unlike this from the article you cite:

There are sound reasons to doubt Corbyn’s suitability for this historical moment. One can criticise his absenteeism from the fight to limit or avoid the horrors of Brexit (and I have), and the refusal to stamp down on anti-semitism that allowed a distasteful minor problem to mushroom into a serious threat to his credibility.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-dangerous-hero-mail-on-sunday-unfit-for-office-tom-bower-labour-brexit-expose-a8772416.html?

andrewreay

Free vote easily resolved by comparing with Tom Watson’s rate

No it really isnt. Try again.

Since 1997 about 150 free votes (all readings). Source Free vote summary Sept 2018

Corbyn voting against party whip >500.

Tom Watson 21.

At best, you could say Corbyn has ‘only’ voted against his party whip about 350 times. And Tom Watson would be less than 21.

So with ID cards and Iraq (say 10 votes in total), JC had found 340 other issues worthy of disloyalty to his own party. 😀😀😀

But there is good news now that I see the shenanigans in Wavertree are going to be investigated. Just rather typical that the announcement comes from Tom Watson and not JC.

Stealth edit for shout/about and worthy/worthy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So with ID cards and Iraq (say 10 votes in total), JC had found 340 other issues worrhy of disloyalty to his own party.

See at this point we all get to be a bit conflicted, on one hand we demand out MP’s represent us at a constituency level and then we think they should do exactly what their leader wants. We would have a much different type of government if rebelling was the norm and voting for what you believe in was considered what we do. We can turf you out after 5 years if you went on to not represent us.

But right now we are in a position where JC is too polarising, there are too many who will not vote for him for any number of reasons, most of them absolute bollocks and spin from the likes of the Mail, he is an easy target and unfortunately unable to really defend himself. He may have started moving the labour party in a direction the members want but he isn’t going to deliver it. They need somebody who can articulate and get a message across without the baggage. To make that happen he needs to have the self awareness to step down and nominate a successor to his followers.

locum76
    Free Member

Vote for policies. Vote Green.

DrJ

But right now we are in a position where JC is too polarising, there are too many who will not vote for him for any number of reasons, most of them absolute bollocks and spin from the likes of the Mail, he is an easy target and unfortunately unable to really defend himself.

And yet when someone DOES defend himself against the mainstream media, we deride him as the “Twitter President”. Tough situation!

dissonance

So with ID cards and Iraq (say 10 votes in total),

Rather more than that. Given your choice of 10 its pretty clear you arent interested in looking at the record in any sensible way. So I will leave you to it.

They need somebody who can articulate and get a message across without the baggage. To make that happen he needs to have the self awareness to step down and nominate a successor to his followers.

Three main problems with this. Firstly Labour was badly hollowed out under new labour so finding a suitable replacement is likely to take time. They need to bring in a new crop of MPs and then have them develop for a while.
    Second I am not sure anyone has absolutely no baggage and the hard right press will just throw shit until some sticks and, sadly, the useful idiots will act as their agents.
    Corbyn does have rather a lot of baggage but just look at what they managed to do with Ed Miliband.
    Third there is the problem of getting the message across. Outside of election time it is a tad difficult.

kerley
    Free Member

He may have started moving the labour party in a direction the members want but he isn’t going to deliver it. They need somebody who can articulate and get a message across without the baggage. To make that happen he needs to have the self awareness to step down and nominate a successor to his followers.

Agree. He should know that he needs to go. Use the same methods as before in run up to election but have someone who is better with media (actually thinks about the impact of how they act/what they say and how it could be twisted) and has less baggage (I think it would be hard to find anyone who didn’t have less baggage)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Voting on policy is very compelling but in reality the small parties can promise the moon on a stick safe in the knowledge that they’ll never have to deliver. So if you vote based purely on policy you’ll always end up voting for a minority part with no chance of power. If they do gain power somehow, they can’t deliver their unicorns (see Liberals and tuition fees).

finding a suitable replacement is likely to take time. They need to bring in a new crop of MPs and then have them develop for a while.

Agree. Labour have a real succession problem. Corbyn/Abbot/McDonnell were the last of their wing of the party. It’s entirely possible they just isn’t anyone with a similar outlook to take over. That’s going to keep Corbyn/Abbot/McDonnell in their jobs for a fair while yet. Maybe the Battle for Labour hasn’t been lost for good. A more moderate candidate might win simply because Momentum can’t find anyone suitable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the useful idiots will act as their agents.
    Corbyn does have rather a lot of baggage but just look at what they managed to do with Ed Miliband.

Yes, picking the wrong Milliband there again….

outofbreath
    Free Member

just look at what they managed to do with Ed Miliband.

Err, nothing. They had nothing on EM. You know a candidate is blameless when the best the media can did up is a chance comment his dad made 7 decades before.

In contrast Corbyn is the gift that keeps giving.

He should know that he needs to go.

True, and I’m sure he’d be the first to agree with you. But to be replaced by who? This is the problem Momuntum and Corbyn have and if it had an easy solution Corbyn/Abbot/MacDonnel would have been able to bow out long ago. Instead they’re stuck.

DrJ

In contrast Corbyn is the gift that keeps giving.

He “keeps on giving” in the context of a certain agenda. For example, when it’s taken for granted that all ragheads are terrorists it’s hard to present a sensible view on Iraq, Syria, Palestine as being anything other than sympathy for murderers. Which is how we ended up with Blair.

kayla1
    Free Member

This, times a bazillion, and the Liberals never gained power so they were never able to implement their policies in full. Propping up the tories in coalition doesn’t count.

v8ninety

If we had PR, then I’d totally agree. But we don’t, we have this stupid bipartisan system with the current incumbent party being demonstrably both incompetent and evil, to varying degrees. So I’ll always go with the least worst option. And whilst I do have my doubts about Corbyn’s potential effectiveness as a leader of the country, I did take the time to read the last Labour manifesto and a lot of that chimed as reasonable and achievable.

binners

Anyone else spot this beaut yesterday? A full page advert in the Observer? But this is definitely not a cult, and the iconography isn’t remotely Stalinist at all…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eWvLpU]WTAF?!![/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

And to answer the obvious next question, Avaaz is apparently ‘the campaigning community bringing people-powered politics to decision making worldwide’

martinhutch

And to answer the obvious next question, Avaaz is apparently ‘the campaigning community bringing people-powered politics to decision making worldwide’

Funded by one person: George Soros!

dazh

The only thing I saw in the news about Corbyn yesterday was the fact that he’d been punched in the face by a rightwing protester half his age. Seems a bit weird though why an anti-brexit nutter would punch someone who is both a racist and a hard brexiteer. Strange times.

binners

Not heard about that but reading up he wasn’t punched but someone ‘placed an egg on his head’.

Jezza should have gone full Prescott 😃

Viewing 40 posts - 18,121 through 18,160 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.