Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Jeremy Clarkson, cycling in London….
  • D0NK

has he got ducktape across his mouth aswell? can’t really make out. Piece will obviously be a pisstake just wondering whether clarkson or cyclists will be the butt of the joke. Coz jokes like

a road sweeper going past may and hammond and missing the chance to take a sharp left turn,

aren’t really that funny when you consider how often it occurs and how dangerous it actually is.

I think people really do not see that Clarkson has a persona that exists to sell copy

that line gets trotted out all the time, sounding a little tired. He certainly likes to live up to his “persona” and it sells (so does the DM), but the more we hear about him the more it sounds like either it was the real him all along or he’s becoming the parody he created.

He can be a funny bloke right enough but I think he seriously believes some of the stuff he’s joking about.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not saying i have never done it Cpt [ though denial of the obvious is a STW trait as well 😉 ] and I tend to fight fire with fire [ which is not always wise either to be fair]. However, I was , perhaps rather optimistically, expecting an answer as to what the posters got from doing this. Unfortunately I got 5ths type reply

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Junkyard. Have a look at what he does for “Help For Heroes”. The lack of crowing about this only makes him go up in my estimation.

A great deal of the Top Gear access to the Military is due to this work. Think back on all the the episodes the military are involved. It is not because it appeals to the simple minded Squaddie.

kimbers

meh, the mans obviously a dick his stupid twitter spat has proved that hes actually as bigotted in real life as his ‘TV persona’
    made all the more depressing by the popularity of the way past its sell by date show, but as pointed out above it does appeal to the simple minded*

this looks like a half arsed effort buy the beeb to try and counter act some of the negative publicity, that as shown in the pic will just result of more pisstaking of cyclists, i suppose we’ll just have to take it on the chin, or infact not watch it!

* yeah I know im a condescending-tofu-loving-bbc-guardian-farage-hating-lefty,

prezet
    Free Member

Honestly can’t believe these idiots are still on the TV. I guess it’s the mentality of the majority of the population that keep them on there.

It’s not even that Clarkson is anti-cycling – they’re just not funny or entertaining. It’s badly scripted, predicable dribble.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s badly scripted, predicable [sic] dribble.

And yet it gets some of the highest global viewing figures of pretty much anything on the tellybox.

Feel free to script something better!

nealglover
    Free Member

that as shown in the pic will just result of more pisstaking of cyclists,

You seem to be able to see a lot more in that photo than I can 😕

Or you are seeing/making up what you want to see possibly ?

prezet
    Free Member

Feel free to script something better!

Better things to do. But if that kind of cr*p floats your boat then go for it.

kimbers

just because its popular globaly does not mean it is good or has indeed have any redeeming qualities….

I give you….

http://www.channel24.co.za/Music/News/Study-reveals-that-One-Direction-is-the-best-in-the-world-20140130

Among their impressive feats in 2013, One Direction – which comprises Niall, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles – clocked up almost 200 million views of the Best Song Ever video on YouTube, and their album ‘Midnight Memories’ topped the Billboard 100, making them the first group to debut at number one in the US with their first three albums.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We should all watch documentaries on organic, free trade, vegan basket weaving instead.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, Kimbers,

I guess it’s the mentality of the majority of the population that keep them on there

, then…

No accounting for taste, is there?

kimbers

I know 5th , thank goodness for BBC4!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I know 5th , thank goodness for BBC4!

😆 BBC 4 HD!

Hang on… am I allowed to watch it in HD or is that too decadent?

D0NK

Malaria and the common cold are quite popular across the world aswell flashy 😉

prezet
    Free Member

One Direction and Top Gear fans probably share a lot in common…

nikk
    Free Member

Yeh, because you are either with us, or your against us, isn’t it?

I used to find Top Gear entertaining. But as the show wore on, and everything became more of a staid caricature of itself, I turned off.

I don’t mind non-PC stuff. I like non-PC stuff in fact. But it has to be done with some intelligence behind it to not come off as ignorant. Too many time, they have just made some lowest-common-denominator comment without any intelligent thought behind it. It’s like watching a clique of schoolboys.

This kinda sums it up for me;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc[/video]

willard

From the look of him, he needs to spend more time cycling and less time in a car.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Is Top Gear the new STW ‘WendyBall’ ? Seems like the cool thing to do here is have a right go at TG and anyone who enjoys watching it.

For the record I enjoy it, but am very aware of that its fairly base humour, but it’s entertaining with fast shiny cars. So I like it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Seems like the cool thing to do here is have a right go at TG and anyone who enjoys watching it.

Its not like the supporters are having a dig at anyone who disagrees with them now is it- its the usual STW polarised debate

GrahamS

This kinda sums it up for me

And this one sums up the Daily Mail:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dqNTTdYKY[/video]

cookeaa

You lot didn’t see this coming? Really?

Clarkson Anti-cyclist Twitter and paper rants last week, and then shock horror Filming a “Cycling Piece” this week… come on folks, join the dots.

The Beeb get Clarkson to whip up interest in Top gear by spreading his Clarkson persona across various other media, hence some will no doubt tune in to Views on cycling reinforced, while others will tune in to give them a something to focus their indignation on… Everyone’s a sucker.
    Either way Clarkson gets paid, and the viewing figures will stay buoyant enough to get yet another series commissioned…

TBH I didn’t watch any of the last TG series: Broadcast, on iPlayer or Dave, I just happened to have better things to do and I’ve seen most of their jokes already, I don’t dislike the show, I do own a car as well as several bikes and have been known to enjoy driving on occasion, but it just didn’t quite coincide with my free time…

Clarkson is just a bloke behaving like a Dick to get himself noticed, and sell some papers and air time, and it works for him, he’s made a career out of it, a bit like Ricky Gervais only 1/16th as funny, but I don’t think Clarkson is quite the totally Evil Bastard some of you really want him to be…

GrahamS

I don’t think Clarkson is quite the totally Evil Bastard some of you really want him to be…

Completely agree – sadly though a lot of morons take his comedy persona seriously, or at the very least they know it is a joke, yet it still influences their view.

kimbers

sadly the simple minded(not my words) clarkson fanboys seem likely to take his ‘made up persona’ jokes seriously and therefore treat cyclists with disrespect on the roads

cynic-al
    Free Member

Great Stewart Lee clip.

Duggan

I read the guardian and have never wore a pair of sandals or eaten tofu

D0NK

Is Top Gear the new STW ‘WendyBall’ ?

nah as per Nikk I used to watch it and as he said it got very same-y after a while.

Football on the other hand has always been shit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thems fighting words 😉

retro83
    Free Member

nikk – Member

This kinda sums it up for me;

He’d be a lot less annoying if he didn’t repeat the same joke over and over again.
    Stewart Lee would be a lot less annoying if he didn’t repeat the same joke over and over again.
    <lower voice tone>
    The comedian Stewart Lee would be a lot less annoying if he didn’t repeat the same joke over and over again.
    <lays on floor>
    The comedian Stewart Lee would be a lot less annoying if he didn’t repeat the same joke over and over again. Stewart Lee. Comedian.
    <gets up turns to camera and shouts>
    The comedian Stewart Lee would be a lot less annoying if he didn’t repeat the same joke over and over again. FOR TEN MINUTES.

brakes
    Free Member

this will come to no good.
    it will do nothing for the good of cyclists or motorists – he is only serving himself and his own elitist beliefs – I’m not sure if he even has an agenda.

the biggest problem is that I still find myself drawn to Top Gear… even if I do fast forward most of it.

EDIT: and Stewart Lee is nothing without Richard Herring and some animated crows.

5thElefant
    Free Member

he is only serving himself and his own elitist beliefs

His what? 😯 😆

I’m not sure if he even has an agenda.

Phew. Glad you cleared that up!

brakes
    Free Member

you’re very protective of him, are you his mum?

cookeaa

Of course we’re all part of the machine that helps Clarkson Win either way…

If he gets us lefty, handwringers types in a froth over some stupid, Oafish and intentionally offensive comment or article, it gets all those comments on the bottom of the piece, FB and Twitter users get wound up and start arguing amongst themselves, maybe he even has to do a pretend apology… all the time the amount of coverage of Jeremy Clarkson clocks up (and mentions of an upcoming series of top gear).

This all of course scores him points with the fans, and reminds them to tune in to watch the man-child piss about in a car they can’t afford, tell them how shite it is and then spout a few more keywords so he can chime with their collective world view (again)…

Of course if he didn’t play the part, the world would long ago have forgotten him and Top Gear, its a cycle of dependence, Offensive, Jokey, waffle = free publicity = good ratings = another series of Top Gear, and spin off crap (The other two suckle at his metaphorical “Teat” too) and so the cycle continues…

Of course none of it would work if we just paid him NO attention, I mean properly; No comments on the tail of his Web articles, not a single Tweet or FB comments, no outraged emails to the Beeb or multi-page forum threads on how awful he is (The Ironing!), Don’t watch his programs, just ignore the bugger, a couple of years of pretending you’d no idea or interest in Jeremy Clarkson, and he’d be gone from the public eye, easy

GrahamS

Yeah.. but I quite like him though…

annebr
    Free Member

<smug>I won’t be watching it, I’ll be out enjoying myself.

I’m sure someone will be able to let us all know what happens in this hillarious episode.

butcher

I quite like Clarkson. Even when I’m angry at him, like now, I still can’t help but laugh at some of the phraseology he uses. He’s so obviously taking the piss.

His recent episode on Twitter has changed my opinion of him though. He’ll now be mentally filed under the same category as Chris Moyles and Jonathon Ross.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m sure someone will be able to let us all know what happens in this hillarious episode.

What happens in this episode is, TopGear earns the BBC many many more millions of pounds, to add to the many many millions they have been earning the BBC for years and years.

Allowing the BBC to make some stuff you probably do like.

So stop bloody moaning 😉

D0NK

The Beeb get Clarkson to whip up interest in Top gear by spreading his Clarkson persona across various other media, hence some will no doubt tune in to Views on cycling reinforced, while others will tune in to give them a something to focus their indignation on… Everyone’s a sucker.

missed this first read through. With all due respect, cobblers. From the info given it seems Clarkson lost the plot with a cyclist, who happened to be an STWer, and wrote a genuine hate tweet, “social media storm” ensued. He’s cashing in on it now for sure but I don’t believe for one minute that this was planned from the start…
    …other than his general “let’s be a prick about anything/anyone that’s a likely target for a top gear fan demographic” MO.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

and wrote a genuine hate tweet, “social media storm” ensued.

His tweet wasn’t really all that bad compared to a lot of others, though it did get a lot of exposure. Tbh, he’s was right in once resect, and that is that ‘point making cyclists’ do make motorists angry. Obviously they shouldn’t but they do.

D0NK

he’s was right in once resect, and that is that ‘point making cyclists’ do make motorists angry.

the words point and making were redundant there and that’s most of the problem.

GrahamS

And they also implied that any cyclist taking the lane was “point making” which enough motorists believe already thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Jeremy Clarkson, cycling in London….’ is closed to new replies.