Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 330 total)
  • Jeremy Clarkson continues to be a moron
  • mintimperial

Hey itsme, quite apart from anything else: good work for pissing off Jeremy Clarkson, keep it up. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – surely some cop would be interested in taking a pop at him…

butcher

I normally don’t mind Clarkson’s rants and take them as good humour. But I’m suddenly feeling a strong dislike for the man after seeing this. Totally out of order.

jamj1974

RichPenny – Member
    Entering into a debate with Clarkson is akin to entering a marrow into your anus; both senseless and painful.
    POSTED 1 DAY AGO #

Probably true and funny as hell!

bearnecessities – Member
    both senseless and painful
    Oxymoron of the year?
    POSTED 1 DAY AGO #

Quite possibly…!

jamj1974

David Taylforth. Can we have a little less of the aggression? It’s a bit pointless – as are the assumptions on the size of other peoples genitalia.

dancingjames
    Free Member

I reported his tweet to the police a few days ago, and others on lfgss.com have done the same.

Additionally it has been passed on to the news team at road.cc

If handled well this could be an interesting news story.

BikePawl
    Free Member

I think a fitting punishment for Clarkson for this behaviour, would be to do Bikeability 1,2 and 3 training with schoolchildren and have it broadcast on Topgear.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The bloke thrives on publicity, he’ll attempt to spin this. It would be like wrestling with a pig: you gets covered in shite and the pig enjoys the attention.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ha, I said it would be an STWer.

itsme – I fully understand why you feel you need to keep your head down, but its a shame cyclists have to feel that way.

Might be worth dropping the London Cycling Campaign a line if you feel the need for an advocate while retaining your anonymity.

wallop

I wonder what The Times makes of this. The behaviour of Clarkson – one of their ‘journos’ – doesn’t sit very well with their safer cycling campaign….

misinformer
    Free Member

I wonder if over on piston heads there’s a thread running “cycling can do no wronger” is being a moron

I read all 4 pages and whilst I admit I very rarely ride on the road just can’t see why we all can’t get along as opposed to nibbling at each groups ankles

RustySpanner

He seems quite keen to portray himself in the best light over this one.

Jeremy Clarkson ?@JeremyClarkson 10 Jan

Ti be clear, the cyclist I tweeted about earlier rode constantly right in the middle of the lane and hurled abuse at anyone who overtook.

So the ‘anyone’ would just be him.
    And the middle of the lane was the most approriate place for the cyclist to be.

What an idiot.

As a friend of Boris and DC, I suppose he thinks he’s untouchable when it comes to bullying other road users.

Shame really – CCTV of the incident would make interesting viewing.
    Can you obtain CCTV with a foi request?

mdavids
    Free Member

I wonder if over on piston heads there’s a thread running

If not there soon will be and you can predict with depressing accuracy how it will pan out. There’s usually one weekly, started with the sole aim of giving morons a soapbox to have a general rant at cyclists. The level of stupidity is often mind boggling, especially assuming that these people probably consider themselves accomplished drivers.

Actually this incident with JC is a perfect case in point. Why try and overtake a vulnerable road user at a pinch point, can these people not plan more than 20 yards down the road? It would be nice if it was used as an example of how not to drive in an urban environment around cyclists, sadly I think we all know it wont be.

imnotverygood

I read all 4 pages and whilst I admit I very rarely ride on the road just can’t see why we all can’t get along as opposed to nibbling at each groups ankles

Ride on the road a bit more and you might get a better idea.

RustySpanner

mdavids – Member
    Why try and overtake a vulnerable road user at a pinch point, can these people not plan more than 20 yards down the road?

It’s pretty simple really – they don’t care:
    About our safety or the consequences of their actions.

As long as they can get away with it they will.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I wonder this this will go viral. If it does “hello mum”

mdavids
    Free Member

It’s pretty simple really – they don’t care:
    About our safety or the consequences of their actions.

As long as they can get away with it they will.

In some cases I agree however the majority of the time this has happened to me it seems to be a simple case of just not thinking ahead, rather than deliberate. Or maybe I’m being naive in trying to give people the benefit of the doubt, I prefer stupidity to sociopathy.

RustySpanner

mdavids – Member
    In some cases I agree however the majority of the time this has happened to me it seems to be a simple case of just not thinking ahead, rather than deliberate.

Hmmm.

I think I’m a bit more cynical than you. 😀

Problem is, every driver has been made aware of the importance of thinking ahead – it’s drilled into everyone when learning and constantly emphasised in the Highway Code.

Not doing so is a deliberate choice.
    Everyone knows how to drive properly and conscientiously.
    We know what might happen if we don’t.

Choosing to drive carelessly or dangerously isn’t just ‘a case of not thinking ahead’.

pjt201
    Free Member

In some cases I agree however the majority of the time this has happened to me it seems to be a simple case of just not thinking ahead, rather than deliberate. Or maybe I’m being naive in trying to give people the benefit of the doubt, I prefer stupidity to sociopathy.

I think you’re right, but the big issue with roads at the moment (imo of course!) is that it is socially acceptable and defensible in court to be stupid and drive with out proper care/attention. You just need to look at the way driving offences are dealt with to understand this. The fact that people’s bans are shortened because they’re of good character or show remorse is one example – why should this make a difference to whether they were or were not paying proper attention to the road?

mdavids
    Free Member

This type of incident is an ideal opportunity for someone well liked and respected like Chris Boardman to say to the general public

“look, this is why cyclists get arsey and feel the need to carry head cams, this is what JC should have done and this is how you should drive around cyclists. There’s no point overtaking there as you’re not getting anywhere faster and you’re puttng someones life in danger”

All we want is for drivers to give us time and space, rather than force a pointless and potentially dangerous overtake.

RustySpanner

Wouldn’t it be even better if Clarkson himself put his hands up and offered to do this?

If his TV persona is just an act, as the vast majority on here seem to believe, then I’m sure he’d be more than happy to apologise to our fellow forum user and explain that he made a mistake.

Non-cycling drivers couldn’t care less what Chris Boardman says to them.
    They’d hang on Clarkson’s every word though.

imnotverygood

^ that would wreck the brand.

mdavids
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be even better if Clarkson himself put his hands up and offered to do this?

Definately. Highly unlikely unfortunately, he doesn’t seem the type to accept criticism of his driving.

marthall
    Free Member

mdavids – Member
    This type of incident is an ideal opportunity for someone well liked and respected like Chris Boardman to say to the general public

Boardman defended some indefensible cycling near me in Cheshire recently not the best person…

imnotverygood

Boardman defended some indefensible cycling near me in Cheshire recently not the best person…

What was that then?

misinformer
    Free Member

Non-cycling drivers couldn’t care less what Chris Boardman says to them.

Most of my cycling buddies think CB did a prologue and once tried to compete in a TDF ,all these poster board cyclists are about as far removed from tales of commuting strife as could be possible. Though I’m sure someone will pipe up that sir Bradley got run over once upon a time and therefore he’s the same as the helmet warrior squad.

So how their opinion would be relevant is a bit abstract. I dare say the cycling he does these days is more about cashing cheques than any real advocate.However in the same way I don’t know JC personally I don’t know CB personally either so it’s better to just consign myself to the fact I’m an opinionated arsehole

cynic-al
    Free Member

misinformer – Member
    So how their opinion would be relevant is a bit abstract. I dare say the cycling he does these days is more about cashing cheques than any real advocate.

CB has appeared on morning TV with well thought out pro cycling arguments.

misinformer
    Free Member

Probably got paid to put his,if they even were his? pro cycling views he probably tried to get Halfords ads in the commercial breaks,<—– childish comment but wouldn’t put it past the PR set

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course he did.

misinformer
    Free Member

Well if you know the way breakfast TV works why don’t you tell us how the media is so impartial

There was a right shit storm when the daft bint who tweeted running a guy off the road appeared on morning TV ,The cycling world found out she was getting a fee too 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

There’s a difference, misinformer (appropriate username). Daft bint was only interested in making some money, whereas CB is actually interested in cycling safety. Maybe they did pay him – I imagine it’s fairly standard practice to do so – but I’m fairly sure he would happily do such stuff for free (it’s not like he needs the money from those sources). I don’t know him directly, but my sister knows his family and from what I’ve heard I reckon you’re being very unfair on him.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

In some cases I agree however the majority of the time this has happened to me it seems to be a simple case of just not thinking ahead, rather than deliberate.

So a simple case of bad driving. Which could easily turn into a collision (and I know people for whom it has). It should be treated as careless/dangerous driving.

misinformer
    Free Member

There’s a difference, misinformer (appropriate username). Daft bint was only interested in making some money, whereas CB is actually interested in cycling safety. Maybe they did pay him – I imagine it’s fairly standard practice to do so – but I’m fairly sure he would happily do such stuff for free (it’s not like he needs the money from those sources). I don’t know him directly, but my sister knows his family and from what I’ve heard I reckon you’re being very unfair on him.

Exactly , you don’t know him, I’m not being unfair on anyone though of course your entitled to your opinion, which realistically like mine and anyone else not in a position to actually change or make any real impact on cycling policy or law in the country means sweet F all.

lazybike
    Free Member

Aggressive driving meets defensive cycling, its a regular occurance. I don’t see why JC felt the need to misrepresent the encounter, other than being a dick about it…

butcher

Chris Boardman is an excellent spokesperson for cycle safety. In fact I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone do it better.

misinformer
    Free Member

You might want to follow Carlton Reid then?

mdavids
    Free Member

So a simple case of bad driving. Which could easily turn into a collision (and I know people for whom it has). It should be treated as careless/dangerous driving.

I totally agree. We could certainly do with a few more high profile convictions for crap driving to sharpen up peoples skills and attitudes.

My point was only that I’d rather attribute bad driving to stupidity than a desire to maim and kill, its an attitude that allows me to leave the house. My opinion of the general public is generally quite low anyway without thinking everyone wants to see me dead when I’m on my bike (although I certainly ride with that in mind)

butcher

You might want to follow Carlton Reid then?

I find Carlton Reid to be more your stereotypically biased cycle campaigner. A little preachy, maybe. I don’t mind him, he raises great points, but he does it very, loudly. A bit in your face. Some people would take it as being aggressive. Or of an opposing side. I find Boardman to be much more balanced and rational, in a way that the general non-cycling public can warm to. He’s friendly and just always comes across as very sensible, and you find yourself nodding your head all the way.

Cougar

Just caught up on this.

I’d be astonished if JC was prosecuted based on the strength of the evidence. “Sorry officer, but I got out of my car to take the picture whilst waiting at the crossing.”

scotroutes

Yeah – you’d need a witness.

Oh – hang on…..

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Jeremy Clarkson continues to be a moron’ is closed to new replies.