Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Jens going for hour record on 18th September
  • wwaswas
    nemesis
    Free Member

Great to see the event getting some attention. Jens doing it will be an excellent kickoff for the bigger names (Cancellara, Wiggo, etc) to have a go.

miketually
    Free Member

Nice to see Jens taking it easy now that he’s retired.

nemesis
    Free Member

He did tweet about enjoying retirement and only having to ride for an hour now instead of five 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀
    Yup, that must be all of a week he’s managed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Doesn’t Jens need a peloton bearing down on him to go quickly?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Doesn’t Jens need a peloton bearing down on him to go quickly?

He usually rides away from them for the first hour or so …. he’ll be fine 🙂

40mpg

He’s coming for a ride round the New Forest 2 days after, I reckon I’ll be able to hear his legs shouting from home!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What on earth would possess a talented and sentient individual to stick an ‘ie’ at the end of his name.
    Is his plan to become a premiership footballer or soomething?

nemesis
    Free Member

I think his plan was to become famous in America pre-retirement so that he could continue to make a decent living. Playing up to his ‘shut up legs’ image and going along with ‘Jensie’ was all part of that. I’d say he’s been rather successful FWIW.

timbur
    Free Member

Oops, I read that as “Jenn’s going for the hour record attempt.” For a second it got me interested! She could own it with a special “look.” I still remember being put in my place back in the day with a Jenn look.

Shut up Burden 👿

YoGrant
    Free Member

Exactly why I clicked in the thread Tim :0)

timbur
    Free Member

Evening Grant. You should know more than me. Those nights in The Cock. Happy days.
    [waves] Hi Jenn :O)

YoGrant
    Free Member

Waving your cock?

timbur
    Free Member

Behave.
    [tut and huff]

YoGrant
    Free Member

Thread closed ;0)

unklehomered
    Free Member

You’ve got it wrong, the world is going to make an attempt on the One Hour Jens Voigt record…

http://www.jensvoigtfacts.com/

dirtyrider
    Free Member

live on Eurosport, 5:30pm a week today

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

That sounds amazing but, as someone who’s never had a go on a fancy road bike and certainly not a proper aero frame at a velodrome, how tough is it? Is 50kmph (ish) an easily attainable speed for most of us but much more impressive to keep up for 60 minutes?

For any of you velodromists, could you ride at 50 for, say, 10 minutes easily enough?

scaredypants

you’re onto them mcph – it’s all one big con

I’ve seen a film of Eddy Merckx doing it and he stopped to sign autographs half way through

Macavity
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That sounds amazing but, as someone who’s never had a go on a fancy road bike and certainly not a proper aero frame at a velodrome, how tough is it? Is 50kmph (ish) an easily attainable speed for most of us but much more impressive to keep up for 60 minutes?

For any of you velodromists, could you ride at 50 for, say, 10 minutes easily enough?

An average person on an average road bike (i.e the sunday club run) is about 25kmph. A really good 10 mile TT is 20min, 48kmph. So it’s 3 really good 10mile TT’s, back to back. Or to put it another way, on a flat road it’s about as fast as I can sprint before falling off and wondering if I’m about to die of a heart attack, for an hour.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I heard he was holding 420 watts for the whole hour. If anyone has used a power meter/watt bike will know what that feels like. A different league holding it for the whole hour

MSP

Nice little interview here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p027s265

As well as being a legend, he is also just one of the most likeable men in sport.

robowns
    Free Member

I don’t really know much about Jens, but after watching that interview up there I already love him.

mrblobby
    Free Member

An impressive effort but one that will be quite easily beaten when some of the bigger names get around to giving it a go. Sure I heard that Wiggins was holding about 470 watts for most of his worlds ITT win, I think he averaged a shade over 60kph.

The pro’s are just phenomenal though. Saw this article about some of Kwiatkowski’s power figures from the worlds that puts it in perspective. 310W NP for 250km. I’m an ok club level rider and my 25 mile TT power is not much more than that!

Speshpaul

Having watched Jens hour and the way he held/increased his lap times and the way he looked at the end….. I think he’ll have another crack when someone breaks his record.
    We just have a bit of a stand off now as no one wants to set a record and have it broken a week later.

I’d like to see at race Wiggo Vs Martin Vs Sparticas 3 venues, live tv all starting at the same time.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I doubt he would as any of those 3 would properly destroy his record. Still a great way to end a career though.

nedrapier

I read “The Hour” by Michael Hutchinson last week. Very good indeed; interesting and funny. Well recommended.

Second hand off amazon for a penny plus postage.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure he’s also a lot more aero and will shatter it. In my mind the correct record for this is still Boardman’s ’93 52.27km, as I’m sure there was no aero advantage to his Corima compared to Jens’ Trek and otherwise he met pretty much the same regulations (those who went faster in a standard tri-bar position probably weren’t clean). I’d certainly expect it to get pushed over 53km.

Well apart from Jens having retired, he’s already stated that he expects one of these to take it off him shortly (not sure he was expecting Matthias), and as mentioned above, they’ll go a lot further than him. On the contrary, unlike ’93 when Boardman was already lined up for an attempt when Obree announced his, I suspect it will be easier for whichever of those goes first, as with the hour there is only success or failure and a sufficiently high mark might put off others attempting it. Having said that, if it’s something he decides to commit to as he did with the World TT this year then Wiggo is the clear favourite – not only is he probably the fastest of the 3 in a TT when he trains just for that (has Spartacus even aimed at those recently?), he’s also got a lot more track experience.

Will be interesting to see what Brändle does, but I doubt he’ll get much further than Jens.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, not a name I expected to challenge!

aracer
    Free Member

Well I’m surprised how much further he went, though still short of Boardman ’93

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/30/matthias-brandle-hour-record

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Jens going for hour record on 18th September’ is closed to new replies.