• This topic has 58 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • #Jennride – Winter Cotswold edition
  • Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

4th December – 75k of the finest of the valleys for you XC/Gravel pushers to ride, remember and raise some cash for St Gemmas Hospice and Macmillan.

As well as knowing Jenn I lost my best friend to lung cancer this summer, held his hand while he passed and saw again how great the hospice and Macmiilan go about their support.

Start will be Wild Carrot, Chavenage House, Tetbury (where I do my cx races with hank from GCN) with a stop along the way in the form of host venue mobile coffee van. Expect some good views, climbs, mud and some more climbs. I also have a shorter flatter route for those that might fancy it. Back to for the bar/cafe and a warm fire plus, I will rustle up some raffle or ride prizes from my sponsors. Glamping/shepards huts available if you wish to stay over enquire with Wild Carrot at Chavenage.

I will set up a just giving page shortly for donations and where to drop your details so I can send out the GPX. Donate to ride.

I’ll update here and via my insta @lovecrossedcx

Hope to see you there. x

Premier Icon peteimpreza

see you there!

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Hoping to make it, may be working that weekend in which case it’ll be coffee at the Carrot! Trails are sloptastic at the moment, especially around Barton End and down to the Weighbridge, hope they’re featuring Tang 👍👍

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

👌🏻

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Thanks so much for keeping it going Qwerty when I couldn’t & nudging to roll one out this year. x

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Enjoyed the previous one I did a few years ago so tentatively in for this, especially if there is a shorter route option.

Premier Icon martinb
    Free Member

I’d hope to make it, I’m in the Cotswolds

Thanks

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Definitely a shorter route included that will peel off the longer one. Winter lines & will suit xc/gravel with treads.

Premier Icon jeffl

Ah bugger. Already have family plans, so won’t be able to make it. Had great fun doing the #jennride a few years back now. Will throw some virtual cash in the pot.

Premier Icon eskay

I may be up for this

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

Would love to come, but I’ve a work commitment on the 4th….

Premier Icon GeForceJunky

Sweet, I should be there. Dare we ask how many meters of valleys?

Premier Icon si77

I’m up for it. Just the motivation I need to get the hardtail ready for some winter rides.

Premier Icon peteimpreza

“Dare we ask how many meters of valleys?”

You can always ask.

I rode to and from the start/finish of the last one and recorded 85km and 1940m of elevation gain.

Expect something similar on the full route as the course designer is the same chap. our vey own Mr QWERTY.

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

I’ve done the route for this year & the long one is going to be north of 1k climbing and being the five valleys served in short & sharp portions. I’ve had some requests for a short route too, so there will be something if you just fancy 2-3hrs out and under 500m.
    Bike workshop will be open before & jet wash for after.

Premier Icon peteimpreza

My apologies Tang……

only 1k , you are being soft on us……………..:)

Premier Icon welshfarmer

Will have to drag the gravel bike or the hard tail out of the shed. Could be the excuse I need to get a bit fitter.

Premier Icon jon_n
    Free Member

Very interested in the shorter route, will also try and convince some friends to join as well 🙂

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Knee recovery pending, I’d like to finally join this year after years of saying I will!

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Should have the just giving up this week and I’ve ridden the long route this week. Filthy. Shorter route I’m working on to also pass the pit stop plan. Have a great weekend.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

🤞 i might even have a new ride to christen by then 🤞

Premier Icon peteimpreza

promises promises ………..

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Nice!

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Filthy

The going is truly unpleasant, that S Cotswold mix of sticky Fullers earth and wet leaves that clogs everything. Strangely love the winter here tho…

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mHLU22]Jennride[/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr" alt="ride" />

Headed out to ride the long route today and it was filthy, which I like. Billed as mtb/grv friendly I decided to ride both bikes in one and neither came out on top. There is a 45k ish definitely suited to GRV on offer too and a party pace 20k that will be lead for those wanting to dip their toe.

All the details here
    Ride sign up/info

Premier Icon peteimpreza

Hi Tang, I signed up a while back.

How long before I get a response?

Premier Icon eskay

Work Christmas meal now booked for 3rd so unfortunately I’m out! Hope it goes well.

Premier Icon jon_n
    Free Member

I signed up before the justgiving page was live and didn’t get a response.

Made a donation and signed up again yesterday quoting the justgiving reference and got a confirmation back first thing this morning.

Premier Icon peteimpreza

Got my confirmation this morning, about 36 hours after registering

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

Is there a pay on the day option, or pre register only? 🤔 🚴 ☕

Premier Icon peteimpreza

pre-register only and you don’t pay , just make a donation via the link on the event page

Premier Icon peteimpreza

Not many sign ups so far by the looks of the donation page. Only £160 raised so far that’s max 16 riders if they all only donated the minimum of £10

However, at least 4 people have donated £20 so not a big response so far.

Come on peeps we can do better than this !!

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Had lots of ‘see what the weather is doing’…
    No one will be turned away on the day if not pre entered.
    Got a nice stash of bits for the table of love raffle.

Premier Icon peteimpreza

Thanks for the update Tang.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

So, next Saturday then, can we have dry and cold with minimal headwind pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease 🙏

Premier Icon peteimpreza

not happening bro’

Pint in the Ship after?

Premier Icon jon_n
    Free Member

Forecast is showing ~15mph headwinds with a chance of rain..

Is there a “what tyres for Cotswold clag” thread anywhere?

Premier Icon rak
    Free Member

It’s not worth cleaning my bike before Saturday is it…

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Rides done and a few route changes. Its going to be a filthy ride, but don’t worry we have plenty of sticks in the 5 Valleys. Bear in mind this is a winter ride so I am leaving out sensitive single track as that’s the way we roll.

I have added a 45km Gravel route too, just in case. All the details/gpx heading out tomorrow to those signed up and we will have QR codes for the day if you turn up wanting to ride.
    Raffle ‘table of love is looking very nice thanks to our industry friends, bring cash! Hosts have very excellent coffee and beers on offer plus eats too.

https://www.wildcarrot.co.uk/jenn-ride

Here’s the rides on offer:

75km – 1709m – XC/Gravel plus (read tyres with good grip and/or girth recommended)

Taking in some of the escarpment the route heads to Stroud via some vista and villages and a pump track. You should arrive in Stroud mid Farmers Market so plenty of tasty food options before rolling out along the Slad valley where at km 35 The Wild Carrot van will be waiting with hot drinks, water and snacks before dropping into Sheepscombe and out the other side heading south via much mud and a few good hills. Crossing the mainline to London its back onto the lanes and a slice of the Macmillan way towards Chavenage. This ride also passes many pubs in case you were wondering.

45km – 1022m – XC/Gravel plus (grip and girth)

This route rides out to Stroud on the same lines as the 75 but at Stroud Farmers Market peels off via Waitrose and a fly along the beautiful canal path past Stroud Brewery only to be met with the savage Knapp lane before a meander down Gatcombe to Avening and across the estate back to Chavenage House.

45km No2 – 643m – Gravel Specific (actually ok on a MTB)

We have put this one in just in case Gravel is your thing and perhaps the bike is running narrow, slicker tyres. It’s one of our classic training rides that has some climbs early on but also a nice stretch of the Fosse way where the mud is forgotten for a short time. We have left out the pass through Westonbirt Arboretum as it is so muddy right now, but don’t worry there will be plenty elsewhere. Our favourite stone pew at the Devils Churchyard is on this ride along with some lovely quiet lanes.

17km – 373m – The short one – XC/Gravel with grip

This wee loop is packed with some nice features. Time strapped or maybe just starting out on your off-road adventures, this might be for you. We do have a guide on hand for this one if the group requires.

Premier Icon jon_n
    Free Member

Awesome – thanks for organising this!

I went out round Tetbury yesterday, on the claggiest stretch (out the back of Trouble House) it was about 500m forward motion per stop and de-mud the bike, sticks would snap when put into action.

I’m actually considering bringing a paint scraper or similar for de-mud duties!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.