Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Jennings. Surely the best brewery in the UK
  • Pook

closely followed by Badger

postierich
    Free Member

I,m slowly get weaned on most of these drinks
    http://www.hawksheadbrewery.co.uk/prod_list.asp?catid=26

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re no Hop back, Stonehenge, Dark Star, Plain Ales, Downtown or Mikkeller though, are they?

(Last one is a bit of a trick, as he doesn’t have a brixks and mortar brewery. The tequila or red wine barrel aged black is astonishing, though! Seek out the Monks Elixir Cranberry at all costs!)

djglover
    Free Member

Jennings are a bit bland really, I think there are better breweries around.

Badgers are worse, not a fan.

grim168
    Free Member

Tent up then off to sun inn pooley bridge for a pint of sneck lifter 😀

liquid
    Free Member

Cranberry? In beer? NO!

Pook

Bland? BLAND????? That’s subtlety you philistine!!!!!

tomlevell

Sam Smiths FTW

You’ve got less chance of people agreeing on a brewery than a bike brand.

Pook

Sam Smiths for the cheapest pint in york.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Liquid, try it before you dismiss it. Simply astonishing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Harviston FTW

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Best brewery for standard beer here in west yorkshire os Timothy Taylors I reckon. But there are loads of interesting breweries knocking about. Sammy Smiths is ok, but a lot of their pubs let the ale turn to vinegar before serving the stuff. Agree that Jennings is bland, except for Snecklifter, of course. Beer is good, thats the moral of the story.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

TJ, Harviestoun is good ale, but since they were bought out by Caledonian they taste the same. Still decent though. Now Brewdog are an ace Scottish brewery. Got a new pub in Edinburgh I believe.

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Agree with Brewdog, fantastic beers, bit strong for sessioning though.

Wye Valley make some fantastic beers, everyone a gem, especially Dorothy Goodbody’s Wholesome Stout… Until recently my favourite stout. That was however before I tasted Hardknott’s Dark Matter, so dark that light doesn’t pass through…

d45yth
    Free Member

I live in the same town as the Jennings brewery…I went for a weekend away in Yorkshire and was gutted the local pub was a Jennings one!
    The Coniston brewery ales are much better in my opinion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not fond of brewdog. Bitter and twisted is my fave beer

nomakoman
    Free Member

Batemans…no contest!

Mugboo

If your lucky enough to live in Yorkshire or Lancashire then Pictish is where it’s at.

If your also lucky enough to live in Bradford (things you never thought you would say!) then Saltaire Brewery is worth a trip on the last Friday of the month 🙂

Jennings – just average at best 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

So many to choose from!

Badger do some wonderful Summer beers in Golden Champion and Golden Glory. However some of the Theakstones brews are hard to beat.

Obviously I’m not going to be as “niche for niche sake” as some…

djglover
    Free Member

Bitter and twisted is akin to a hop soup with a dash of vodka added. Not pleasant ime. Each to their own though.

Haze

Wasn’t that impressed with the Brewdog stuff I tried either, decent enough but nothing special.

I’d sooner have a Hobson’s Town Crier.

jp-t853

I used to work for Jennings so I may be biased but I really love a Cumberland Ale or Cocker Hoop. Superb

hh45
    Free Member

Badger really is not very good at all and I come from Dorset. IMO The Black Sheep Brewery in Masham is the best. If you had desert island beers then their Black sheep would be the one.

Nick

there is just such a choice right now, so many beers to choose, so little time.

as a session bitter Salopian’s Shropshire Gold takes some beating

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Shropshire Gold is a very good beer!

If you can find it though, the best session ale is Hobson’s Twisted Spire, only 3.6% but loads of flavour.

Too much choice at the moment. Jennings wouldn’t be in desert island beers though. Not bad, but nowt special…

john_drummer
    Free Member

Saltaire Brewery is of course not in Saltaire. It’s in Shipley. But aside from that, their Cascade Pale Ale is very nice.

Leeds Brewery Pale Ale is also very nice.

Copper Dragon (Skipton) do a nice “Golden Pippin” which is nothing to do with apples.

And the other Masham brewery’s Old Peculier is amazing at the brewery tap itself

marvincooper

Sneck Lifter….. love it, wish it was easier to get down here. Oh to live in the Lakes….. one day maybe.

Sharps Doom Bar also gets my vote.

Maybe I like both of these cos I first had them on holiday in great pubs 🙂

Nick

I was in a pub an hour a go, that had shropshire gold and doom bar, I had four pints of shropshire gold, and I really like doom bar.

grum
    Free Member

Coniston Bluebird FTW.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Out of my way out of my way….

Right.

There can be no such thing as ‘the best brewery in the UK’, as they’re all making lovely healthy nutritious beer, what is good for you and that. So, we need many many breweries making lots and lots of lovely beer.

One brewery simply cannot produce enough beer to go round, so we need loads of them to quench our thirst for this wonderful energy drink.

What a preposterous statement to suggest one brewery is better than any other. Ridiculous, and indeed, blasphemous.

Two which are worthy of an Onerable Menshun, in my onion, are these:

All breweries need our support. Drink British.

I really like doom bar.

It is possible I may well have had a few pints of that lovely beer tonight…

montylikesbeer

Copper Dragon”Golden Pippin” is a little cracker

But for me Moorhouses “Pride of Pendle” hmmmmmmmmm

john_drummer
    Free Member

I like the Witches Brew too

montylikesbeer

Witches Brew though superb makes your back legs give way, but from the bottom up !!

MrSmith
    Free Member

there is no ‘best brewery’ this country is blessed with many great ones.

marble, meantime and thornbridge are my current favorites (amongst others) this changes week by week.

totalshell

make room.. Far Yarkshire’s Finest… Timothy Taylor a brace of Landlord followed up by half a dozen Golden Best will make our lass more attractive than 8 gallon of Nivea ever could

druidh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANARINMQzc[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The nicest Saltaire (Shipley) brew is Triple Chocoholic. And yes, the 2 quid a pint Friday is ace!

Pook

Doom Bar. Lovely stuff. It’s no Eden Ale of course, but I think it just has the edge on Tribute as far as south western ales go….. but then what about Butcombe?

Pook

MrSmith…. Lord Marples is a fine drop from Thornbridge

wheelie

Bowman Swift One. Try it at the Hampshire Bowman.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Jennings. Surely the best brewery in the UK’ is closed to new replies.