• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Jeez – where to begin with buying tyres!?
  • Kit
    Free Member

I can't get my head around all the different tyres available. And then everyone has a different opinion about a particular tyre based on where they ride, their style, etc…

I'm after a new set of tyres but don't want to leave my comfort zone of Nevegals or High Rollers, but I really want something much faster rolling…

Problem is that the fast rolling stuff also appears to be lethal when wet/muddy, and I'm a fit and forget type with tyres so I don't change depending on the weather!

So I'm after a grippy, fast, 2.2ish tyre that doesn't rip or pinch flat… Help!

(and sorry for yet another tyre thread…)

GaryLake
    Free Member

And 3… 2.. 1…

😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Although Maxxis Ardents might be worth a look…

pixelmix
    Free Member

So I'm after a grippy, fast, 2.2ish tyre that doesn't rip or pinch flat… Help!

One set of tubeless (nobby nics maybe?) and just let some air out when it looks slippy?

joolsburger
    Free Member

People seem to be keen on Rubber Queens and Nobby Nics as fast rollers that are grippy.

I use the hated Mountain Kings and have no issues at all with them. Mates use Fire XC's and love them.

My tyres cost a tenner each I quite like that but apparently my local Surrey trails aren't demanding..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ardent front and Larson TT rear 🙂

takisawa2

SB8's.

IamSam
    Free Member

Spesh Purgatory 2bliss 2.2, they do have fairly thin side walls but you should get a good year out of them? well I do

hope that helps

WorsthorneWarrior
    Free Member

I Just bought a pair of Scott Stroke 2.35's for my hardtail cos they were on BOGOF at my LBS & i am fairly impressed so far. They run more like a 2.2 TBH.

Got a 2.25 Ardent Rear & 2.35 Nevegal Stick-E Front on the full susser

tinsy
    Free Member

Yep its a nightmare and I cant help…

But FWIW, I run

Hardtail XC stuff.
    Maxxis Swampthings in the winter in a nice modest 2.1
    Conti Speedkings cos they was cheap at On One also 2.1 fine for XC stuff and more than happy with the grip per buck scale, also very light and fast.
    SB8's for when its bone dry, the odd XC race n stuff.. 2.1 but they are vast in size.

Full suss AM type bike
    Just bought a High roller single ply 60a for the back and a Minion super tacky for the front, after reading about 3 million threads on here that seemed a pretty well respected combo.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the trick is to have grip up front and fast out back.

Kit
    Free Member

Gonna try the Ardents, 2.25". Have got a 2.1" Nevegal Stick-E for the front if things don't work out 🙂 Good to get some ideas from folk, so much appreciated!

brassneck

Nevegals are pretty much as good as you get for all rounders, but I think you need two sets of tyres in the UK that you actually use, and 400 pairs in a pile in the shed you will never use again.

FWIW, I'm running the cheap on-one Michelin deal as summer tyres, seem fast, grippy and a good volume to them. At the first sign of rain I'll be back to Bonty Mud X. Both run tubeless with rim strips, the ability to go to low pressure extends the usefulness of the summer treads.

nickc

but I really want something much faster rolling…

and I'm a fit and forget type with tyres so I don't change depending on the weather!

Based on this, you've two choices, stick with your current tyre choice, accept the fact it's not the fastest in the world, but offers plenty of re-assuring grip, and learn to pedal a bit harder, or change tyres to suit the conditions, a task which although seems labourous, in reality only takes a few minutes.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I like changing tyres depending on the weather as I can escape to the shed and fettle.

I have run firepro xc, highrollers both nice, conti m/king on front and r/queen on rear bouncy and loads of protection.

for summer, now going to try a Nobby Nic up front and a maxis medusa that is slightly worn to give me grip if a bit of moisture but will run like a slick 😆

and if that combo is no good as some one has said before I have a ton of spare tyres in the shed so can mix and match

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I love my Nevegals too, for grip, and I also love the SB8, for speed. So on the back I shall be trying this next 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I used to be very "fit and forget", but I remember gingerflash remarking that the people who said they couldn't see the point of changing tyres all the time were also the people who said "how the hell did you manage to clean that?!". That was just before the first Hit The North, which was incredibly muddy. I was terribly smug, because for the first time ever I'd got proper mud tyres, which were ace.

I have a Conti Speed King on the back at present (Nevegal on the front). Very, very quick in a straight line, mildly terrifying in corners. 🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

It's not only about the weather but also the trail type your running them on.

GW
    Free Member

Kit – just stick to what you're used to but stop using the soft compound versions and they'll roll way faster.

I honestly don't know why anyone other than a DH racer would ever run softer than a 60a (infact 70a would be better for XC)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Jeez – where to begin with buying tyres!?’ is closed to new replies.