Jeez! I'm speechless

Home Forum Chat Forum Jeez! I'm speechless

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 128 total)
  • Jeez! I'm speechless
  • peterfile

I saw that a few days ago. Pretty scary stuff although I’ve read mixed things about it. Some seem to think that one of the bikers was brake checking the guy and he ended up going into him. Still not sure how that excuses mowing down the rest though. Still, they were smashing up the car while his wife and baby were still in it.

Can’t say that I’m drawn to either side in this.

brakes

wow! that’s pretty scary for all concerned.
    sounds like no motorcyclist was hurt which is very lucky.

organic355

is there a you tube link? liveleak blocked at work.

Premier Icon thetallpaul
    Subscriber

More info (unfortunately from the Daily Fail):
    More info

At first watch it looks like the bikers were being prats and brake checking him.

Where were the police?

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

There’s a link from the video to the (news)paper that shall not be named claiming that somehow there we no other injuries to the bikers, only the driver who got beaten up. I’d suspect there’s more to the story than the clip suggests – but there’s no winners there.

Houns

Some of the comments have picked on cyclists! (Daily fail, what do you expect)

Check out the “further info” link that takes you to the daily fail website. They seem to be on the guy in the Range Rovers side.

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

As has been commented before. The “brake checking” biker – there were no brake lights in the video and his hand was off the brake. He slowed down a little. Never the best option in front of a 2 ton SUV.

It’s merely slightly shocking at first glance until you here that one of the bikers has been paralysed.

LHS

From what i’ve read the bikers started it, and were brandishing weapons at the driver and his wife, then brake checked it and got what was coming to them. If that happened to me i’d run over their bikes too.

I’m with the driver of the Range Rover on this one. Original collision appears to have been caused by the biker slowing down sharply without use of the brakes. Biker either did it deliberately to try and intimidate the car driver or was just a muppet.

Anything that happened afterwards was simply the car driver trying to escape from what I would consider to be a life threatening situation. If I was surrounded by dozens of bikers all wanting a piece I’d be doing everything in my power to escape from it too.

That’s my view and I suspect I’ll get flamed for it.

brakes

but you love a good flaming.

I think it’s a complex one, and not just a case of who started it.

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

The problem is that the video starts part way through the incident and hence we can’t tell exactly how the altercation happened. It’s kinda crazy from both sides.

Been arguing at work about this yesterday.

Boss rides a bike to work and likes track days. He thought I would think the Range rover got what he deserved. Must have been terrifying for his wife and daughter. Was he meant to just sit and take a life changing beating. Its amazing how many were up for a fight when they outnumbered the driver 50-1
    Thought of this when I watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIP-aVfw13w

neninja

I’m a motorcyclist and would side with the RR driver.

At low speed shutting off the throttle slows a bike really fast (if in a low gear) but with no warning brake lights. The rider was acting like a tool and everything after that was a scared person trying to escape a mob.

mrchrispy

apparently the clip is after a hit and run, he’s already knocked a biker off and done a running and this lot gave chase. the bike is trying to slow him down so he’ll stop but the RR driver is having none of it and nudges him. I can see both sides as I wouldnt want to stop with that lot chasing me but then again if I’d hit someone in the first place I’d be straigh out seeing if they are okay….assuming i wasnt driving like a c*ck in the first place. he deserved a good kick in the end

z1ppy

TBH again I think the video come in late and suspect something happened previous to it’s start, which antagonised the bikers. Not saying they were in the right but driving a 2 tonne vehicle at ppl, is definitely not right either.

EDIT: … see…

LHS

One of the motorcyclists who initiated the issue (before video started) has handed himself into the police. Sounds like he was riding erratically and caused the accident. RR driver was fleeing for his life and that of his wife and kids, something we’d all do.

Daily Mail

On Tuesday, Cruz, 28, from Passaic, New Jersey, was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving and endangering the welfare of a child.

brakes

I think you could flee a bit more carefully though…

hammyuk

The video starts just as it all happens.
    The rider “brake tests” the RR and gets clipped, going down.
    The bikers all then crowd him, slash his tyres, etc.
    Rightly so – he nails it, up over some of the bikes, crushing one of them who actually wasn’t the “brake tester”.
    Thats when the “chase” starts.
    To level this – I ride – have done for 35yrs, have 3 bikes yet am with the RR driver – the riders were complete c**ts for their actions and how they dealt with it all.
    Gang mentality took over. The reports and CTV footage from prior to all this show the group hartrassing other drivers, using drainage channels, hard shoulders, cutting inside, etc – so sooner or later an “incident” was going to occur. I’m just surprised it wasn’t them taking each other out how they were riding

5thElefant

The overwhelming consensus (as in everyone) on advrider.com (one of the biggest m/c forums in the US) was that the biker gang are scum and it’s a shame the driver wasn’t carrying a firearm.

jools182

I’m with the driver I’m afraid

The bikers were acting like dicks

khani

It’s a good advert for Range Rovers when the zombie apocalypse happens though..
    And I’m with the driver on this one as well, with 50-1 odds and the family on board I wouldn’t stop either,

mrchrispy

ah, I didn’t get the full story from the bike guy at work, didn’t know about the previous biker shenanigans
    I stand corrected.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

I had a similar, but much milder, incident a few years ago coming down the M40. Got caught in a lot of m/c traffic coming out of a GP meeting.

The M40 was quite busy anyway, but a number of bikers were obviously quite hyped after the GP, and were cutting through the traffic at speed. I was signalling left to come off for the A34, and just as I was moving into the left lane a bike shot up the inside. I hung in the middle of 2 lanes then moved in behind him, just as he dropped a gear, decelerating rapidly with no brake light. Because I’d had to move in quite close behind him (as he’d undertaken me during my lane change) I braked hard but had to go level up the inside of him.

He then started gesticulating at me, slowed up and kicked my front wing. Other bikers saw him doing this, assumed I’d given him grief, and surrounded the car. Needless to say I was pretty unnerved, and my wife and 2 daughters were terrified. At the lights, I hung well back until they’d all had enough and buggered off.

So, bikers please be aware how much quicker you can decelerate on a gear change than a car, without showing a brake light. And I always give bikes a very wide berth, and move to let them filter through so they can get well away from me in traffic now.

If the above story is true, I can see why the car driver did what he did, even if I don’t condone knocking people over.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I woulda sprouted wings a flewed away.

(About as relevant as what everyone else who wasn’t there is saying)

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

It’s horrible for the guy that got paralysed, especially if he really was just trying to help the other biker but if I had an angry mob of bikers around me already damaging the car (and no doubt making verbal threats) I would have felt genuinely at risk (esp. with family) and floored it out of there

Dickyboy

Been on a few ride outs myself bitd & quite often you’d get car drivers forcing their way into the group of riders just because they couldn’t wait for a few minutes as you passed a junction, also been on rideouts where some riders acted like total knobs, so I’m with DezB on this one

ninfan

Liveleak had a load of other video’s by the biker that he apparently pulled which shows the standard of riding of the ‘biker gang’ in a fairly dangerous and intimidating light

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

I think if I was crowded and forced to stop by that bunch, I’d might well feel that my families lives might be in enough danger to do that

p8ddy

So…if the driver felt intimided – Rather than continue to drive through the guys, why not gently brake and let them go on their way?

It’s a bit like saying What’s the best strategy for dealing with a horde of zombies if you have a sword. Do you A. Run toward them and try an scythe them all down in order to escape?, or B. Run in the opposite direction?

The bikers are idiots. No doubt on that front. But when faced with idiots, BEFORE a problem arises is the time to get the hell out of dodge. His claim of driving over them because he was in fear of his life doesn’t add up when you consider he saw them, and continued.

The bikers are idiots. Deeply, deeply stupid. But nowhere near as stupid, reckless or dangerous as the RR driver.

IMO it should be a case of charges all round. The bike was behaving dangerously and seemingly wanted to be dunted, but it should never have got to that.

Both sides idiots. Both sides needing serious behaviour modification and driving charges.

hora

Sorry if you did that here?

Riders being a dick. You clip one you stop. Ask to call the Police etc. You drive at and over someone you are in trouble.

The driver went way beyond what he should have done.

Panicked? Heaven forbids he owns a firearm.

Markie

Rather than continue to drive through the guys, why not gently brake and let them go on their way?

Because they were attacking his vehicle after he stopped following the initial bump.

The driver went way beyond what he should have done.

How so? He stopped following the initial contact and his car was then attacked. My assumption would be that he (reasonable) feared for his and family’s safety and did his best to get away from the trouble.

hora

So you would drive over people?

A big black RangeRover. Hardly the vehicle of a mild mannered type.

I guess motorcyclists are viewed as second class road users so snipe away

Markie

So you would drive over people?

What wouldn’t you do to protect yourself and your family from a mob?

Hardly the vehicle of a mild mannered type who would panic.

Whether driven by panic or calculation, I think that in doing his best to escape the gang he took the right course of action.

hora

Sorry you’ve just knocked someone off their bike. Your first reaction is to get out. What did we miss before the clip started?

Road rage?

Markie

Sorry you’ve just knocked someone off their bike. Your first reaction is to get out. What did we miss before the clip started?

I think what matters more is what we missed after the bump but before camera biker turns back – the video’s reporter says his tyres were slashed at that point. Someone has a knife and is slashing your tyres? Get away, however you can.

The biker then cuts in front of the Range Rover and, still staring at the driver, suddenly slows down. It isn’t captured on the video, but the motorcycle and SUV bumped, police said.

The motorcyclists, 20 to 30 in all, then stop on the highway, blocking the SUV’s path. Some dismount and approach the vehicle. Police said some of the bikers then began damaging the Range Rover.

Thats what happens if you use your body to block a car while 20 of your biker gang mates start trying to smash thier way in and brutalize the occupants.

What ever the cause, that’s what happens. Obvious outcome really, shame they caught up with him again.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

There’s clearly something else happening before the video starts, and you can’t see what’s going on when the car gets surrounded…

What’s this slashed tyres chat though? You can see the car’s tyres on the left are fine, and it’s on an even keel, and driving normally so that seems to be made up…

hora

Have you tried slashing modern tyres? Good luck trying

Markie

What’s this slashed tyres chat though? You can see the car’s tyres on the left are fine, and it’s on an even keel, and driving normally so that seems to be made up…

Mentioned by a reporter in the linked video, which is all I have heard about the incident.

Have you tried slashing modern tyres? Good luck trying

I think even having someone attempt it would be enough to make me want to move on!

mrlebowski

A big black RangeRover. Hardly the vehicle of a mild mannered type.

&

I guess motorcyclists are viewed as second class road users so snipe away

The make of car is irrelevant & you know it. As is assuming that the driver perceives motorcyclists as 2nd class citizens.

Stick to the facts. The fundamental one being we dont honestly know what preceded what we’ve been shown.

p8ddy

Markie…

Because they were attacking his vehicle after he stopped following the initial bump.

I was meaning before the initial bump. Afterward is locking the stable door after the horse has bolted. Instead the driver chooses a ridiculously optimistic/stupid/aggressive course of action. Too close to a gang of bikes? Get the hell out of dodge. It reminds me of car drivers during the Glasgow/Edinburgh cycle ride – some drivers get caught, be patient and at the first chance take an alternate route. Others choose to stick to their route, undertaking increasingly stupid/tight overtaking manoeuvres. It holds them up and irritates/endangers everyone.

How so? He stopped following the initial contact and his car was then attacked. My assumption would be that he (reasonable) feared for his and family’s safety and did his best to get away from the trouble.

What part of “already failed to get away from angry bikers” was he struggling to comprehend? A minor bump happened and he couldn’t escape. And you reckon the best thing to do is to rile more of them by driving over more of them? Can’t you see how stupid, pointless and utterly likely to escalate the situation that course of action was? It’s like poking a wasps nest with a stick to try and detract them.

The safe course of action would have been PRE-accident to recognise morons and steer well clear. After that? Following the initial collision, get on the blower to the cops, stop, get out and eat lots of humble pie. Regardless of who’s fault it was. His actions risked lots of lives, including the lives of his family.

And for the Daily Fail comment about the bikers being lucky he didn’t have a gun? If be had, it would have been simpler to shoot himself with it, because after he’d finished shooting 10 or so bikers, the rest would have killed him. And justifiably claimed self defence.

Two sides, both hugely at fault. The driver caused an insane escalation of hostilities however.

LHS

There is all sorts of footage leading up to the accident of them running red lights, weaving between traffic and riding on pavements. Couple that with attacking a car with knives with a child in…. No sympathy whatsoever. RR driver 100% in the right IMPO.

hora
Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Jeez! I'm speechless’ is closed to new replies.