Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Jeebus!! SITS entry prices is it getting a bit to expensive?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Done countless SITS but just seen the entry prices £226 for a team of four so £56.50 per person average of 8 laps £7 per lap now Catton Park is not the most exciting area and they do the best they can but I,m going to give it a miss this year :?.
    Obviously they supply water/showers/toilets/campsite have to clear up, pay themselves not to sure how they could cut costs.Not knocking Patrick Adams and his team as we need people like them but money is tight in this household

Junkyard
    Free Member

get faster then the price per lap drops 😉

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I fancied it this year as a solo but not at £72.10

postierich
    Free Member

Pay per lap I like that idea!!!

Mantastic
    Free Member

Should a 19st man go solo on a Pugsley?

druidh
    Free Member

Is there a Fatbike category?

fisherboy
    Free Member

Yes. thought i’d have a look at the web site to see whats what until i saw the prices, heck that made my eyes blink.

druidh
    Free Member

How much is Mountain Mayhem?

cookeaa

Seems pretty reasonable compared with some other forms of racing IMO.
    Easy to pay £60-70 for a weekend of DH racing

snowpaul
    Free Member

I think events are not everyones cup of tea – I used to do some but I stopped a few years ago mostly due to A)costs B)I struggle to find riding a field exciting to ride around C) I would rather do a weekend away riding in the lakes / powys / west country with mates

up to the individual but I wont be rushing back to compete for penultimate place….

paul

topangarider
    Free Member

Compared to a local Triathlon at £36 for 1hr 15mins – its a bargain!

Was about this amount last year wasn’t it?

sofatester
    Free Member

As said above, if you think that’s expensive be glad you’re not into Triathlon.

Google Ironman UK and look at the entry fees 😯

I would rather do a weekend away riding in the lakes / powys / west country with mates

+1

njee20
    Free Member

Triathlon is extortionate, but logistically tougher I reckon (not knocking what Pat does either), particularly for IM events. I think it’s a shame Pat doesn’t give trophies. For second mixed team we got some socks, a book and some little LED lights. Nice, but I’d far rather have a nice trophy.

t-p26
    Free Member

I think you`ll find all events are increasing their charges…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think you`ll find all events are increasing their charges…

don’t think so

For second mixed team we got some socks, a book and some little LED lights. Nice, but I’d far rather have a nice trophy

I suggest you shop around if you are interested in trophies, some events seem to manage both them and prizes

the flip side is that you are taking food off Pat’s table 😉

Napalm
    Free Member

‘Pay per Lap’ is a good idea and this category (the Onederdog) at the Brighton BigDog does very well. And especially so in good weather.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Good grief, £72.10 for a solo entry???? And the T-shirt is £12 extra. That’s SITS taken out of my training/goals plan for this year.

njee20
    Free Member

I suggest you shop around if you are interested in trophies, some events seem to manage both them and prizes

Most do, but Pat never has for any of his events. I think it’s a shame. I don’t need socks, or some £20 blinky LEDs!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Oddly Solo entry for the TR24 running race by the same organisers at the same location the weekend before is £73 quid.
    However you do get a free Technical T shirt included 🙂

Teams of 8 are £235 quid, so £29 quid each , but with an average of say 4 laps per runner then that’s £7 a lap, so pretty much the same cost per a lap.

will
    Free Member

Whilst I agree it isn’t cheap, when you think you get a weekend away, camping, entertainment and an event all for £56, I think that’s good. Especially as you can bring as Many friends & family along for free!

Jason
    Free Member

Pat does give out trophies at Mayhem. Not that I have ever won one, but the wife has earned a few.

We normally view a 24hr race as a camping weekend for the family, with a race attached, in that respect the value is ok. In comparison a normal Sunday xc race is generally around £20, so £56 for a weekend with camping etc seems reasonable.

njee20
    Free Member

We normally view a 24hr race as a camping weekend for the family, with a race attached, in that respect the value is ok. In comparison a normal Sunday xc race is generally around £20, so £56 for a weekend with camping etc seems reasonable.

I’d agree with that!

LS
    Free Member

Pat never has for any of his events.

There are trophies at MM.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mr Toast had to stop me from wearing my Mountain Mayhem medal to work! 😆

paul78
    Free Member

I guess these events cost to put on.. insurances, facilities etc but that still doesn’t make £72 an event any more affordable for a Solo rider…

Solo guys don’t reap the benefit of a social weekend away with the family so you can’t justify it to yourself in that manner.

The more self supported free events that crop up the better for solo guys.

Chainline
    Free Member

Same here regards family. We all go, we all camp, so thats 4 people with a large pitch and all facilities plus a race, viewed in that way its good value..for me anyway.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yep I agree with what paul78 said. I can see the attraction for riders in teams…they pay less per head and they get to enjoy the facilities. For solo riders, it’s a whole lot of money to spend purely on a 24-hr ride. Certainly not something I can justify to myself as a solo endeavour. Bring the solo price down to around £50 & I reckon I’d go for it. As things stand, at least it solves my question about when to attempt a 24-hr ITT on a certain public route this summer!

paul78
    Free Member

Only problem with solo riders from an event organisers view .. and this is how cost has been justified to me in the past … is that a course has a rider limit effectively and a solo rider takes up the space that could be occupied by a paying team of 4 ..

Should teams subsidise the other categories ?? huge can of worms there ..

More ITT’s are needed .. throw up the gps routes and a meeting date and time 🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

I find off road sportives are a bit of a hoot. Same sort of race atmosphere, much less rampant testosterone (elbows on corners, yellow at you to move over etc), feed stations and a lower cost. OK so it is only one lap but it tends to be a big one!

pedalhead
    Free Member

More ITT’s are needed .. throw up the gps routes and a meeting date and time

SDWD and WC2C. There’s two to be getting on with 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When I saw the entry price for this years MM I was a bit gob smacked, but I don’t think Pat is a millionaire yet, and I think I still enjoy the weekend end for it to cost me £60.

To be honest I’d prefer the price to come down and not get a bag of ‘freebies’, although I guess the argument would be the sponsors pay for the freebies.

Does make sense though to bring as many family/friends/passers by as possible with you though to make it vfm.

njee20
    Free Member

There are trophies at MM.

I didn’t realise that – a friend commented that he never does them. I’ve never managed higher than 4th anyway, must have missed out!

The question is then… why is Mayhem virtually the same price. I know SiTS is more ‘low key’ and grass roots and all that jazz, but it’s a shame that’s not reflected in the price. There’s the space to build a slightly longer course so you can have more riders.

simonb512
    Free Member

topangarider – Member
    Compared to a local Triathlon at £36 for 1hr 15mins – its a bargain!

Was about this amount last year wasn’t it?

Hear hear.
    The Tris Im doing the next couple of years are between £100 and £350 per event. Ok thats for 8-12hrs per event and you get medal/t-shirt but still.

When I used to do SITS et al. I think it was about late £60’s to enter solo, and that was 2006/2008ish?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye, but Triathlons are soooo middle class. Don’t you have to be a doctor or surgeon to enter them?

hilldodger
    Free Member

It’s only the price of a set of tyres – seems alright to me, it’s not like mtb-ing is a poor person’s sport 😉

simonb512
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Aye, but Triathlons are soooo middle class. Don’t you have to be a doctor or surgeon to enter them?

I’m managing and earn less than national average. Ok I have made sacrifices etc and club discounts are a godsend but still it’s not that bad, the local ones are usually £30/40 and you get the mandatory bottle and tshirt when you finish.

I’m just doing half/full distance Tri’s at the moment hence the costs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Don’t you have to be a doctor or surgeon to enter them?”

My wifes a surgeon and think its far too much money to pay for riding around a field 😯

From what I can remember back in the day when I were a lad, you paid £170 ish for a team entry to Red Bull 24hr (and got a free crate of RedBull!!)

I think the first SITS was about £155??

naffrider
    Free Member

Is what it is.

As long as the organisers or anyone else involved aren’t making obseen amounts of money (which I’m certain they aren’t) then its a justified cost.

Simple really =]

I’m entering MM this year just for the record =]

Stu_N

10 years ago I remember it being about 40 quid a head for a team of 4. If Pat has held it to 55 a head ten years later without Red Bull sponsorship that’s pretty good going.

topangarider
    Free Member

Yup – we’ll be entering again. Do wish there was a little more in the way of entertainment in the evenings/ on the course like 24/12.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Jeebus!! SITS entry prices is it getting a bit to expensive?’ is closed to new replies.