Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Jebus, I actually made a wheel straight again!
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

well, 99.5% and still circular, quite proud of that achievement! 😆

So how does the tension thing work, do I need to worry about that? Or is it a case of it ran for years fine, spokes feel taught enough, happy days?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yep happy days… An awful lot of stuff you read is bollocks. I build all my own wheels using zip ties… Bodged stand and a guitar tuner. Get them reasonably straight and reasonably evenly tensioned and go enjoy a ride 🙂

Unless you have carbon rims… Then worth doing properly ish.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool. got it now, just went out bashed it off a few curbs and violently bunnyhopped it a few times, which knocked it a touch out of whack, guess just a case of retruing, stress testing, retruing etc till it’s solid and stays true.

Cool, well chuffed with myself! (well will be after it stays straight!)

Might need to buy a spoke key now! 😆 bit of zip tie and a straight blade screw driver is fine, long as the the tyre and rim tape off the wheel!

Cheers. I shall continue tinkering!

dovebiker

Good stuff – in terms of tension, you want all spokes on one side to be evenly-tensioned. If you have trued the wheel simply by tightening the nipples, then you might want to re check tension and slacken off overly tight spokes. Sometimes with buckled wheels it’s better to slacken off all the spokes and see if the distortion is due to a bent rim or uneven tension – often the untensioned rim is straight and you can re-tension it evenly. I’ve also used a drain cover to assist in the straightening of a bent rim, or used my hands and feet to press it flat!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Jebus, I actually made a wheel straight again!’ is closed to new replies.