• This topic has 30 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by AntM.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Jeans for riding in – top tips please
  • DustyLilac
    Free Member

Need to find some jeans for evening playtime up the woods (mosquitos and gnats love me). I’d like to be able to wear my Kyle Strait knees under them and am tall and skinny.

I realise the best option is a visit to TK Maxx armed with the afore-mentioned stinky pads, but has anybody already reached a denim nirvana?

jedi

for xc??

woffle
    Free Member

alpkit colab jeans? (Not sure if you can still get them).

sofatester
    Free Member

Denim? Riding bikes? 😆

steel4real
    Free Member

Not yet – let me know how you get on. I tried the TKMaxx thing myself but found I needed a loose fit and waist size about 4 inches too big to accomadate pads and gave up !

However I did get a pair of Carhartt’s for normal wear in a style I actually liked for £16 so a sort of result !? (No good for riding in)

MountainMutant
    Free Member

ask your sister

tommid
    Free Member

Don’t ride in jeans. Spend the cash on insect repellent instead.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Not really, just for a couple of hours on the local singletrack and jumpy stuff.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Don’t ride in jeans. Spend the cash on insect repellent instead.

Spend all weekend covered in the stuff, allergic to mozzie bites (nice weeping blisters the size of a half-sucked Strepsil, much swelling, pain and sleep loss). Just want to be able to get in from work, get changed and go ride.

sofatester
    Free Member

Don’t we all…

jedi

i ride bmx in jeans with pads under.
    tried loads in tk max before i got loose fit jeans that suited

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Any baggy jeans will fit over the pads.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

alpkit colab have been released now but they are a straight leg fit and will be too narrow.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

dungarees?

joemarshall
    Free Member

I like british army lightweight combats – although I wear them with pads over rather than under. They are good and long for tall people (plus waist adjuster if you are extra skinny), dirt cheap (£5 a pair), not too hot, and quite resilient if you do go crashing with them on.

Joe

GW
    Free Member

do you really need the knee pads for the riding you’re doing? I hate any armour for that sort of thing I just find it hot, restrictive and a PITA. if you def need it, have you thought about 3/4 jeans?

smiffy

zaskar
    Free Member

What you need is Lycra! :mrgreen:

Go for some back baggie shorts with denim? CRC/wiggle/google?

lcj

Ronhills are where it’s at for the 09 season.

Rickos
    Free Member

A mate of mine uses Levis Twisted. He gets his DH pads under them and I think the twisted seam helps to keep them relatively unbaggy so they don’t get caught but wide enough at the knee for pads. They don’t do ’em anymore so you’ll need to look on eBay.

jam-bo

another vote for twisted levis. i ride in mine quite a lot.

they do still make them but they start at about £90 so ebay is a better option…

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I wear Kyle straits under Alpkit jeans no problem (I’ve got quite chunky legs and the original size M alpkit colab jeans). It gets a bit sweaty but not too bad. The bottoms are quite wide though so if you ride with a triple expect to get them caught.

jedi

i wear fuse pads btw

Martinez
    Free Member

speedos all the way mate… no chafing!

paul78
    Free Member

Alpkit Jeanius jeans.. available at Alpkit.com…

i just sized up for a looser fit although they will be bringing out a more relaxed cut soon..

Waterproof fabric and super comfy

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The waterproofing doesn’t last long. When I first had mine the water beaded off. Now the water just soaks into them. They do dry a bit quicker than normal jeans though.

And they are articulated at the knee (for most people – they seem to be above the knee for me!)

TN
    Free Member

The Jeanius jeans are fantastic, but the new version is not as baggy as the colab version.
    I am not sure how good/cool/comfortable they’ll be for riding though – they somehow feel quite ‘sticky’ when you get a bit warm. Good and roomy for climbing but if you run warm when you’re riding – and especialy with the kyles on – you’re gonna melt.

Better bet – in my opinion – just buy some cheap baggies from somewhere then you won’t be gutted if you come off and wreck a pair of £55 jeans…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The sound of flappy jeans being eaten by a chainring….Heard that sound many times!

shoefiti
    Free Member

second the army combat idea, when i started riding back in the day i used to where a pair of those ‘urban camo’ ones, as they are easy to ride in if they get wet too, and they are a lighter fabric than green ones, i think they were polyester maybe?

Thinking back i probably looked a bit of a dick!

easygroove
    Free Member

pads are for jaylords

AntM
    Free Member

speedos all the way mate… no chafing!

go for a mankini, even better! 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Jeans for riding in – top tips please’ is closed to new replies.