Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Jay Blades learning to read at 51 – BBC1
  • Drac

Interesting DB. I was asked about colours, I’ve never tried and asked to try one eye closed. It made no difference for me. What was identified was using a screen. I went to see an ophthalmologist explained there for a dyslexia assessment and use of screens. They did a huge in-depth assessment including scans on my retinas. My eyesight is still spot on and very good for my age. However, they recommend anti reflective glasses. They do seem to her as I look longer and focus on words when reading. Not sure on tying yet though.

binners

Jay Blades is just about to be interviewed by Nihal on Five Live which should be an interesting listen.

IHN

Anyway I’m putting this through without checking what I’ve written so it could come out as complete rubbish.

I’m sure it looks fine on your iPad 😉

footflaps

I’d disagree, I’ve never not failed to understand your posts. In fact I’d say you write exceptionally clearly

+1

Never once thought you had any problems with writing or were dyslexic etc.

Drac

Cheers.

db

@drac my understanding of the colours is it does the same as the eye patch. As each eye sees colours slightly differently using a coloured transparency means the signal from one of your eyes is perceived as stronger than the other and the brain pays more attention to it, stabilizing the words on the page (this is the science as I understand it!)

I was on a trial out of great ormond street (this was 30+ years ago). They tested which eye was dominate and out of 20 times, 10 times it was left and 10 times my right. I then wore a patch over my left eye for a couple of hours a day whilst reading/doing homework etc. After I think it was about a year I was retested and my right eye had become dominate 60/40.

Like the coloured sheets we were told it won’t work for everyone but I know it made a real difference to my learning.

Poopscoop

Video on how the Repair Shop crew help Jay overcome his dyslexia for the show.👍

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-60153687

Drac

That’s great stuff. I recall the idea on coloured paper and lenses coming about.

ctk
    Free Member

Scienceofficer
    Free Member
    Makes you realise what **** the spelling/ grammar pedants are.

No.

But don’t let that get in the way of your binary thinking on the matter.

LOL subtle but I get it

ctk
    Free Member

Are we all agreed Drac is not dyslexic then?

duncancallum

Colour paper or glasses never helped.

One thing I do counting say squares is count down not left to right.

didnthurt

The average reading age of the UK being 9 is pretty worrying, my 9 year old has a reading age of 11 1/2 (according to his teacher), and his favourite read is the Beano.

I’ll check out the programme, sounds enlightening.

stevemakin

knowing and being good friends with Drac for over 20 years now, I always assumed my misunderstanding of him was because of his strong Geordie accent combined with my increasing deafness, who knew it was because of his dyslexia and my stupidity 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Jay Blades learning to read at 51 – BBC1’ is closed to new replies.