Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Jay Blades learning to read at 51 – BBC1
  • MoreCashThanDash

About his dyslexia. Fantastic programme, eye opening for someone like me who has always been a book worm. Even knowing people with the condition I’ve never understood what they’ve gone through.

Heart goes out to all those who have to deal with this.

wingnuts

Really heartwarming to see his openness about how hard it is. The strategies he used to cope while he was younger can be seen in almost any group of kids. Brave program and shows why we should read to kids.
    Had a friend who worked in a secure remand centre for under 18s and when they were kicking off she would stop all the macho guys who wanted to go in with riot shields she would go into the communal space, sit on the floor and start to read a story, a kids story. It always worked as they had never had stories as kids.

Poopscoop

Just watched it, very interesting insight into the condition and into Jay’s life.

Couldn’t believe half of prison inmates can’t read/have reading difficulties. Shocking.

tuboflard

Someone more knowledgeable than me might know the exact statistic but the average reading age of the inmate population in the UK is something like 11 years old.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Couldn’t believe half of prison inmates can’t read/have reading difficulties. Shocking.

Probably close actually, but most prisoners can read reasonably well, some are very very good & others virtually illiterate. Those who come to mind are from the travelling community. Funny how they often used to say they couldn’t read but were fine at filling in a canteen sheet & adding it all up without a calculator. 🧐

Drac

It’s fantastic and very reflective of what I suffer. Fortunately I was never as bad as him, but I’ve really struggled the last 6 years or so due to a role change. I actually had my dyslexia assessment last year and work based assessment a few months ago. It’s given me some great pointers to help a bit more.

When I first got my report it knocked me for 6 it felt damning, it wasn’t, so much so it was partly what lead to me having another breakdown. I just wonder what I could have achieved if schools had been more supportive when I was at school and I had better understanding. I have still done Ok but that’s a lot due to my choice of job, finding work arounds and avoiding some situations.

Things I didn’t know was how it effects memory, balance and processing planning. Advantages have is my thought process allows me to deal with chaos and rapid decision easily as I can go through options so quickly. My numerical recall is very high but short term memory for vocal requests is poor, very poor.

Reading has always been tricky as somethings I read too literal or read them in the opposite context of how they are meant. However, I can read something and memorise it very well accept then putting the words into writing, I’ll not recall unfamiliar word.

Vocally I’ll get by but I choose my words careful and my vocabulary is limited, I will pause as I can’t recall a word so will use another with the same meaning or more than one word for the meaning. Similarly to writing, I know what I want to write but I’ll pause on a word and have to use another.

Anyway I’m putting this through without checking what I’ve written so it could come out as complete rubbish.

Drac

Funny how they often used to say they couldn’t read but were fine at filling in a canteen sheet & adding it all up without a calculator. 🧐

Possibly hiding it by remembering what where each box was, if it’s a tick box. While dyscalculia and dyslexia often come together there’s also the polar opposite. I’ve been called Rainman more than a few times as I can calculate stuff in my head within seconds sometimes, I mean large numbers. Other times I go blank.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

An aside Q to anyone who’s dyslexic. Do you understand instructions ok? Directions to somewhere for instance.
    Genuine question.

kayak23

Really good programme.
    Turns out he went to the same uni as me and it must have been around the same time.

Crazy when he met his old tutor and I thought, oh my god, that’s MY old tutor. Except it was Trevor Hussey, and my tutor was Phillip Hussey, his twin brother. 😊
    I forgot they both worked at Bucks Uni.

I assumed he must have studied furniture like me, what with his upholstery background but no.

I can’t understand how he managed to complete a degree without being able to read.
    Pretty amazing.
    Go Jay!

ctk
    Free Member

Makes you realise what **** the spelling/ grammar pedants are.

doris
    Free Member

An aside Q to anyone who’s dyslexic. Do you understand instructions ok? Directions to somewhere for instance.
    Genuine question.

i am not great with written instructions or said ones either but something visual is fine basically i need a picture of how to do something and i learn things by repetition but my reading is alright just slow and tiring so i tend not to bother to much other than to read my kids stories.

things like directions i tend to try to pick out key points of info as i know i wont have taken in all the info and then will wing it, i can read a map though visual thing again and weirdly once i have been somewhere its stored in my memory for the next time.

luckily for me i do a very visual/arty job will give the show a watch on catchup

sharkbait
    Free Member

BBC seem to be putting in a fairly big effort on this sort of program recently and it’s excellent.
    It helps remove barriers.

Jay is another person who I’ve now changed my opinion of – which makes me look at myself differently. 😬

Drac

Do you understand instructions ok? Directions to somewhere for instance.

For directions yes not problem at all and I only need to go somewhere once and I won’t forget. Unless the building layout or countryside changes too much as that’s what I use, Before sat nav become reliable I use to just read the map before the journey and set off.

Instructions on how to use something, no but show me once and I’m good to go.

Others will be different as it varies so much. I’ve found out it’s not a singular category as such, it a condition of how you process stuff.

convert

I’ll look this out. Thanks.

Genuine question.

If I was going to take directions over the phone from you I’d draw a map as you spoke.

Back in the day I used to do the odd reliability ride or short audax. On the start line they would give you the route as a printed bit of paper with numbered written instructions without an actual map. This was before smartphones were a thing. The number of times I’d completely lose my shit and give up and ride home after half a dozen instructions when I’d missed an instruction or misread so was completely off course.

Jay Blades – has to be up there in the top ten coolest names of all time. It just trips of the tongue so nicely.

kayak23

I always quite like his signature one coloured leg on his pieces.

He’s got his own style dressing-wise too. Pretty cool bloke 😊

Sandwich

No we struggle with our own curse (usually being on the spectrum somewhere and needing things to be accurate).
    As I get older I’m more accepting of others faults (except the judgemental they’re all ****) 🙂

blokeuptheroad

Vocally I’ll get by but I choose my words careful and my vocabulary is limited, I will pause as I can’t recall a word so will use another with the same meaning or more than one word for the meaning. Similarly to writing, I know what I want to write but I’ll pause on a word and have to use another.

Anyway I’m putting this through without checking what I’ve written so it could come out as complete rubbish.

Whatever coping strategies you use are working pretty well then! There’s no hint of a limited vocabulary or lack of fluency in anything I’ve seen you write. Quite the opposite in fact.

I’ve not seen the programme but will take a look.

Drac

There’s no hint of a limited vocabulary or lack of fluency in anything I’ve seen you write. Quite the opposite in fact

Thank you. I did pass my degree and gained a high distinction with it, so as I say I’ve done Ok. Traits you may notice is I can give short direct answers a lot, to avoid making mistakes. Other times when I’m tired, stressed or in a hurry it’ll come through. Missed words or word that phonetically sound similar or just close to.

avdave2

Serious question – if you are dyslexic is it going to help you if grammar rules are stuck to or if it’s a free for all. Or does it make no difference at all.

nickc

but the average reading age of the inmate population in the UK is something like 11 years old.

Well, that’s better than the UK population at large then, as that’s generally thought to be about 9

nickc

if you are dyslexic is it going to help you if grammar rules are stuck to

Like not ending sentences with a preposition? (joke, not pedantry)

Drac

Serious question – if you are dyslexic is it going to help you if grammar rules are stuck to or if it’s a free for all. Or does it make no difference at all.

Do you mean for me writing or reading. Writing my grammar is poor, I really struggle to understand some basics. Except apostrophes those I get and irritates me when people get them wrong.

Reading, if the grammar I’m reading from is Ok I have a better chance of not getting things out of context but still totally miss it at times. As I say some things I read to literal.

Acronyms for example, I have to be very familiar with them otherwise I just see the word. I know it’s not the word but I can struggle to get past that.

Like not ending sentences with a preposition? (joke, not pedantry)

Yeah exactly like that, I had to read the post several times and was still unsure.

nickc

Writing my grammar is poor

I’d disagree, I’ve never not failed to understand your posts. In fact I’d say you write exceptionally clearly

Houns

Hmm a lot of what you’re saying Drac rings true with me.

Drac

I’d disagree, I’ve never not failed to understand your posts. In fact I’d say you write exceptionally clearly

Wow! Stuff like this really builds my confidence up, thank you.

Yeah Houns there does some correlation between autism and dyslexia, probably to do with thought patterns. I’m not sure how true it is though but as I’ve looked into both more over the years they do seem to come together a lot. Assessments are very expensive but access to work may allow you to get one though work. It was a big effort for me to get one, I was unbelievable one of the first. However, there’s a big change now for us to support staff so are getting more assessed.

MoreCashThanDash

Crazy when he met his old tutor and I thought, oh my god, that’s MY old tutor. Except it was Trevor Hussey, and my tutor was Phillip Hussey, his twin brother. 😊
    I forgot they both worked at Bucks Uni.

Apparently Trevor Hussey was MrsMCs tutor, before it was Bucks Uni. She has her own issues – cerebral palsy and we suspect some mild form of dyslexia – and she said he was the most lovely caring and supportive guy. Her uni friends WhatsApp group went nuts last night.

Jay is another person who I’ve now changed my opinion of – which makes me look at myself differently. 😬

I knew a bit of his background, but yeah, good reminder to avoid rash judgement. Not just celebs, but in real life.

Reading to/with kids when they are young is crucial. Really hard with busy lives, and they learn to hide their problems really young. From friends experience, you may be the ones who spot the problem before the school, and early help makes a huge difference, not just with reading but the knock on mebtal health and life choices they have.

MoreCashThanDash

And another plus 1 on not having a clue Drac was affected – he writes some really good and detailed stuff perfectly, as far as I can tell👍

avdave2

Do you mean for me writing or reading.

I was thinking of reading rather than writing. I imagined that the closer writing stuck to  conventions then the easier it would be to understand.  And my writing tends to be thinking out loud, I don’t really ever think of anyone actually reading it let alone trying to understand what I’m saying. I’m probably even worse when I start talking 🙂

poly
    Free Member

Someone more knowledgeable than me might know the exact statistic but the average reading age of the inmate population in the UK is something like 11 years old.

Averages don’t really tell you the whole picture of a population. Is that one nice bell curve with the majority of people around that level and a small number much better or much worse or is it two very distinct populations – those who can read really well and those who can barely read at all.

If I remember correctly the rates of reading problems in pupils permanently excluded from schools is really high (something like 75%). It’s probably little surprise that a significant number of people permanently excluded from schools go on to become more likely to go to prison. A civilised society, determined to reduce offending and keep people out of prison, would be asking why those particular pupils aren’t engaging with education and why they find it harder than others to read – and then devising strategies to help them and spot other children with similar issues earlier.

Probably close actually, but most prisoners can read reasonably well, some are very very good & others are virtually illiterate. Those who come to mind are from the travelling community. Funny how they often used to say they couldn’t read but were fine at filling in a canteen sheet & adding it all up without a calculator. 🧐

I’m not sure an ability to work out a simple form and add up numbers is really representative of being able to read. I reckon you could give me the “canteen form” in virtually any European language (not Greek!) and I could muddle through. Thats based on very rusty O-level standard french, and probably about 60 words of german. Write me a letter in any of those languages (probably even French – unless the letter happens to be giving me directions to the swimming pool, asking my hobbies etc!) and there’s no hope of me understanding even the general gist of what’s being said.

In our middle class STW bubble its easy to think that “Jay’s” of this world are unusual. I’d suggest that the unusual thing is not that he’s made it to 51 without being able to read, its far more unusual that he’s made it to what most people would judge to be successful. Probably even more unusual to do something about it that late in life, and rarer still to talk publically. But ask anyone who has worked in housing office, registry office, job centre etc – and they’ll see people every day who either ask them to read out the form (“I don’t have my glasses!”) or who bring a child with them to help them with something that for the rest of us would be trivial in life.

Drac

And another plus 1 on not having a clue Drac was affected – he writes some really good and detailed stuff perfectly, as far as I can telL

I’m either very good at hiding it or come a long way, it’s actually both. Cheers guys

I was thinking of reading rather than writing. I imagined that the closer writing stuck to conventions then the easier it would be to understand.

Generally yes but honestly no far from it.

zilog6128

I did initially agree with this

No we struggle with our own curse (usually being on the spectrum somewhere and needing things to be accurate).

but then this response then makes that poster look like the **** 😀

I guess we are all different

Didn’t know about his dyslexia but I’d always thought Blades came across very well. Seems like a good bloke even if he overplays the cockney shtick. 😀 Shame the Repair Shop is shite now so I don’t bother to watch it any more!

theotherjonv

There’s no hint of a limited vocabulary or lack of fluency in anything I’ve seen you write.

+1 to this, to butter you up further. Yes, occasionally a spelling mistake might creep in but so what – the purpose of language is to communicate, and there’s no problem of understanding in virtually all cases even if there is a spelling error. There, I’ve said my peace on that subject.

Whereas those that insist on using long words, even if they’re correct, begin to exclude people from understanding  – no-one wants to need a dictionary to be able to follow an argument on here, and it doesn’t make you look clever if your posts get skipped because they’re not able to be understood (example there – I wrote indecipherable first, which isn’t a particularly advanced word, but then changed it to something plainer)

Drac

Oh yes there is that too but I just laugh at those that do that.

db

I loved it. I’m a little younger than him and it really made me realise how lucky I have been.

My school called me slow and “remedial” – my mum argued they were talking rubbish. She fought for me to be assessed and in the end my parents paid for a private assessment as the local education authority would not.

Then she fought for me to get help. And the local education authority would not. My parents then took me out of school on Thursdays and paid for a private tutor. This for sure changed my path and the program made me realise how lucky I’ve been to be born into a middle class family who could afford not just the money but the time to fight for me.

So much rang true in the program. You do find ways of coping. For difficult words I learnt phrases like “Dogs On Elephants Stomachs” = does and “Goats on Elephants Stomachs” = goes. Now does and goes may not seem like difficult words but trust me when I recall the tears and anger I went through to learn them.

One of my big things was telling the time. My brain just could not cope with an analogue clock face. Digital watch set to 24hr clock and I cope.

What really helped my reading was wearing an eyepatch! (This was before the research into coloured transparencies.) Dyslexics tend not to have a dominate eye. Thus the words jumping about on the page is actually our brains arguing about the correct signal to take. I was in a trial where I got to wear an eyepatch whist learning to read for a hour or 2 a day. This sent only one clear signal to my brain and the words stop moving. In the end wearing the eyepatch trained my brain to accept the single from one eye over the other and I now have a dominate eye.

Sorry for the long post, just was really impressed with the program and touched a nerve with me in a way I didn’t expect.

kayak23

Really interesting @db 👍

nickjb
    Free Member

Shame the Repair Shop is shite now so I don’t bother to watch it any more!

I though it had got overly sentimental with less emphasis on the repairs but lasts nights was good. Still a bit short on the nuts and bolts for me but I accept I am not the target viewer.

avdave2

but then this response then makes <em class=”bbcode-em”>that poster look like the **** 😀

Exactly my first thoughts, the poster needs to do quite a lot of realising. Then I thought well maybe they have their own thing they struggle with so I decided not to post what you did. Of course that’s not to say I’m judging you for posting it, you may have your own issues. 🙂

Serious point is that it really is very hard sometimes to actually really understand what people are trying to communicate if you only ever see the words they have written and know nothing about them. Hence in part why the internet is so angry.

duncancallum

I’m dyslexic, oddly my readings fine and always at school was pointed out that I couldn’t be as my reading age was far higher than my age.

My spelling awful. punctuation like pin the tail on the donkey.

Can’t copy stuff down. Which was a big issue in uni which is one of the reasons I dropped out.

Can’t fill forms in at all!

Hand writing is now only acceptable after years as a kid with a private tutor.

However I’ve a good memory for plans schematics etc. I can speed read and hold the data. I look at spatial awareness differently.

Though I’m clumsy at times too… so possibly dyspraxic though that might be me looking for an excuse

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

As someone who’s naturally bad at spelling, I also despise grammar pedants. They have the most mean-minded sensibility; any conversation with these people is just a competition in which they have to ‘win’ by pointing out petty spelling mistakes if necessary.

I also struggled with grammar quite a bit until a few years ago, which is ironic given that I attended a Grammar School! I’m still far from perfect but I made a big grammatical effort when I wrote my dissertation. Writing well is a thing of beauty and I enjoyed trying to get the text ‘just so’.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No.

But don’t let that get in the way of your binary thinking on the matter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Jay Blades learning to read at 51 – BBC1’ is closed to new replies.