Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Jaw pain – will I die?
  • nicko74

I’ve had this awful pain in the corner of my jaw for the past 3 days – where the jawbone attaches to the skull – every time I try to chew. Feels muscular, not from the teeth.

Wtf is it, will I die, and if not, how long til it passes?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A: Yes you will die, at least your physical form in it’s present state will one day cease to be. It is part of the process of life. Religion or spiritual philosophy may help lessen the dread of such an eventuality.

As for your jaw, it’s probably temporomandibular (jaw) joint disorder (TMJ). I have a bite guard for sleeping that I no longer have to use. Mine passed with care and treatment, but do address it before it becomes acute or chronic.

I’m not a doctor or dentist, guru or minister, so have it checked out by a medical professional. You may be grinding your teeth in your sleep. You may have unresolved pains or psychological issues that are causing you stress.

paul4stones

Probably sprained it. Rest, soft diet, anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen if you can), alternate hot and cold over the joint for a few days. Treat it like a sprain basically otherwise you’ll die.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

you may be grinding your teeth in your sleep. You may have unresolved pains or psychological issues that are causing you stress.

This was my initial thought – I had this once and it was after a particularly stressful breakup (I did the dumping, I didn’t like myself). Soon righted itself.

konagirl
    Free Member

I get the same sometimes when I chew too far over to one side. It hurts on the opposite side when I try to chew or tighten my bite. If I open my jaw up as wide as I can (if it hurts, push your jaw outwards and slightly away from the pain), the jaw usually clicks back and the pain goes.

EDIT: I also get the burning pain like muscle spasms but that tends to occur when I have been stressed (probably grating my teeth without realising it) or when I have been leaning my chin on my hand all day.

jaymoid

As above – sounds like TMJ. I had this a couple of months back, there’s some exercises you can do (check youtube), not had it since, didn’t die.

Sui
    Free Member

don’t rule out MUMPS – I had it when I was about 26 – it was EFFING HORRIBLE…. 😥

RustySpanner

I get this.

If you waggle your jaw from side to side, you can make some excellent cracking noises.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Jaw pain – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.