Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Japanese nuclear: tough decision, right choice
  • project
    Free Member

Strange as today ukplc are giving Rols Royce a ptrivate company a billion quid to develop nuclear reactors at Derby ,

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’m now not sure whether you’re arguing for nuclear or not TJ?

higgo
    Free Member

a significant area of Japan is now uninhabitable for the foreseeable future – half a million people displaced

500,000 displaced?
    Got a source for that or is it made up numbers?

http://tohokugeo.jp/disaster/articles/e-contents28.pdf

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Got a source for that or is it made up numbers?

Where we’re going, we don’t need sources…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Even the sceptics agree that some deaths are inevitable

In terms of the health impact, the radiation is negligible,” he says. “The radiation will cause very few, close to no deaths.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hmanchester – Member

I’m now not sure whether you’re arguing for nuclear or not TJ?

mere;y pointing out that even the sceptics in the scientific community agree that there will be deaths from radaition as a result so your initial quote is wrong. Not many and hard to prove direct casuality but tehre will be some without a doubt.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

hard to prove direct casuality but tehre will be some without a doubt.

martymac

im sort of on the fence about it tbh, but im in no doubt we COULD manage without it, we just dont WANT to.
    in much the same way, many people express a desire to be green, and they demonstrate this by taking wine bottles to be recycled in the back of the X5*
    *other gas guzzlers are available
    what people say/think they want, is often quite different to what their lifestyle shows they actually want.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I award a STW Oscar to Z11 for those gifs? Inspired!

Junkyard
    Free Member

as there will [deaths of workers] in every industry that will make electricity.

martymac

+1 flashy
    the one where hes knocking on the door almost made me snort on my (diet) coke.

zokes
    Free Member

Brilliant! The best newkiller fred in ages 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

TJ: if, for example, as a nurse you had the choice to treat those under your care with a drug which would immeasurably improve their quality of life, but which would slightly increase their risk of cancer [or other life-threatening illness]. Presumably you would chose to let them carry on suffering, rather than take the slight chance of giving them cancer?

Mike_D
    Free Member

It has been calculated that if every TV / video / digibox in the UK was turned off rather than left on standby the output of one nuclear power plant would be saved

I reckon Sizewell B could manage 40 modern tellies on standby per UK household. Doesn’t add anything to the debate, but I was bored 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a significant area of Japan is now uninhabitable for the foreseeable future – half a million people displaced- and the dose of radiation some folk have received will lead to cancers with no doubt at all – and millions have received low level doses that it is arguable will give ride to cancers

How big is significant??
    This shows it overlayed on Birmingham

As for the millions receiving the low level dose, we all do every day due to Naturally Occurring Radiation.

As for Causing cancer check out this handy guide

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TJ, are you having a “TJ makes up the FACTS” evening?

Take that TV/digibox comment.

My TV uses 1W on standby, it’s fair to assume the digibox and sky box, and every other box does as well, so even if I left 3 of them on that’s 3W (probably less).

Assuming 50% of the country turns theirs off already, so that leaves 15million houses, or 45million watts.

Heysham 2 produces 1250million watts, or to put it another way, heysham 2 produces enough electricity to keep EVERY TV, video and digibox in EUROPE on standby (including the 50% of houses I initially assumed already switched off!).

zokes
    Free Member

mikewsmith – that looks like the most convincing argument yet for building new nuclear – particulary in Birmingham’s city centre!

Sandwich

My prediction. Locked and closed in 5. Possibly some bans too.

zokes
    Free Member

Why, sandwich? I’m always amazed that people join in a thread simply to call for its closure. This one’s actually quite light hearted for a change 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member

My prediction. Locked and closed in 5. Possibly some bans too.

zokes – Member

Why, sandwich? I’m always amazed that people join in a thread simply to call for its closure. This one’s actually quite light hearted for a change
    Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Sandwich

Just an observation, in keeping with the Z11 gifs above.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its worth noting

The tsunami killed 15,853 people and injured another 6,000. More than 3,000 people are still missing.

to get the reported deaths and potential here into persepedctive

Re figures I am not sure what TJ mean by a significant area [ percentage TJ]or where he gets 500,000 from
    The BBC reportes 80,000 were displaced and some 16,000 had returned 03/12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17562418

loum
    Free Member

I’m always amazed at how many folks are sucked in by the Nuclear Industry’s marketing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

loum – Member
    I’m always amazed at how many folks are sucked in by the Nuclear Industry’s marketing.

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m always amazed how many people run round with their fingers in there ears about nuclear. No No No No No never No it’s all bad!!

Despite the fact that their tin foil hats will protect them 🙂

AlexSimon

I’m not going to get into the main debate 🙂

But TINAS – Your standby figures are very low.
    Some items consume as much as 25W in standby. My Sky+ HD box uses 19W for example. You can see how that can very quickly escalate the figures.

There are already rules in place to prevent new equipment consuming this much, but that wont change the fact that there are 10 million Sky subscribers and that very few people switch off a Sky+ box in case a recording might be set.

That’s just one example. This was big news a bit ago, so there are plenty of sources of info. This is jut the first that came up on google:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2057727/How-does-cost-leave-household-appliances-standby.html

retro83
    Free Member

As annoying as those watts wasted on inefficient set top boxes and televisions are, they are going to pale into insignificance once leccy cars become mainstream.
    Not to mention that as gas prices rise more people will presumably be using electric cookers & heating.

AlexSimon

Electric cars are a multi-page thread of their own surely 🙂
    Electric things are in theory, better than gas-based things, as they have the potential to be renewably powered. But right here, right now, that certainly isn’t the case.
    The political will to make renewables a priority hasn’t yet materialised.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not to mention that as gas prices rise more people will presumably be using electric cookers & heating.

The problem is that the fossil fuel and electricity prices are linked as the majority of electricity is made form coal and gas. As a result we don’t generaly see much of a reduction in electricity costs as renewables or ‘new’ technology (nuclear) comes online as ultimately they only get built when the fuel proices rise, it’ll be years before fossil fuel prices are high enough to make wind power seem cheep. Nuclear is slightly different as it’s constantly in develoment, so building a new plant today costs a lot more than it did 50 years ago becasue they’re more powerfull, more compact and safer, all of which is good, but all pushes the price up. There isn’t (except hydro, but we haven’t got big enough rivers/dams for that in this country, and people get upset if you flood seagull nests) a cheep way of making lecy, otherwise it would be 100% that.

glenh
    Free Member

Did you know that a large coal fired power station releases several kilograms of uranium directly into the air every year (along with vast quantities of other pollutants that cause increased deaths)?

zokes
    Free Member

Did you know that a large coal fired power station releases several kilograms of uranium directly into the air every year (along with vast quantities of other pollutants that cause increased deaths)?

Oh, he does – he’s had this pointed out to him on just about every nuclear thread. He just chooses to ignore that fact. If it were called ‘nuclear coal’, instead of just coal, he’d be up in arms about it like a shot though 😆

Perhaps we could have a nuclear-powered wave generator – the energy generated by by TJ’s own internal conflict would solve the energy crisis in a flash

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Perhaps we could have a nuclear-powered wave generator – the energy generated by by TJ’s own internal conflict would solve the energy crisis in a flash

A bit like a laser boucning arround in his cranium, untill it reaches a certain point then breaks free?

Any Scotish postal workers free to start shining lasers arround to kick start the process? Can Kaesee recomend one?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I think he’d have a complete mental breakdown if he saw the figures for neodymium mining and pollution fatalities… let alone the fact that rare earth reserves are usually found in with large amounts of radioactive Thorium

zokes
    Free Member

Z-11 – that one wins!

alex222
    Free Member

Because coal/oil/any commodity is ethically sourced right?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

More STW-Oscar worthy giffage from Z11 there! Sueprb!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Cheers Flash & Zokes

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Japanese nuclear: tough decision, right choice’ is closed to new replies.