Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • James Cracknell – Wear a Helmet Video.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu4QzAIayTU[/video]

Thought I’d share that with you.

druidh
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    I CALL TROLL!!!!

popartpoem
    Free Member

Strong message!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

Good stuff. Even TJ wears a helmet in real life you know!

highclimber
    Free Member

I think its a good message but did he have to do it in Bear Ghyrll’s voice?

maxray
    Free Member

Not sure what he was like before.. Just watching him doing the Yukon arctic race on discovery.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigjim – Member

Good stuff. Even TJ wears a helmet in real life you know! when appropriate.

However you actually need to look into this a little closer. Cracknell got a diffuse axonal injury – the type of injury associated with rotation of the brain which is the type of injury where any evidence for helemets reducing it is poor and there is some evidence helmets exacerbate diffuse axon injury

diffuse axonal injury

bicycle helmets and diffuse axon injury
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~theyan/cycling/Accident%20Analysis%20Prevention%202.pdf

druidh
    Free Member

I thought it was a contrecoup injury – the front of his brain basically crashed into the inside of his skull when he hit the road. That being the case, his helmet probably did make a huge difference by diffusing some of the energy of the impact as it broke.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If it was a contrecoup injury then you would be right to say the helmet probably reduced the severity.

I thought it was a diffuse axonal injury but only rather duff reference to it available that I can find

martinxyz
    Free Member

Rounddddddd 8.

druidh
    Free Member

The video referred to in the OP supports my version 😉

druidh
    Free Member

martinxyz – Member
    Rounddddddd 8.

Knock out to me in the closing stages of the 7th I reckon….

falkirk-mark

nah he’s on the ropes

druidh
    Free Member

1….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

concussion possibly.

Dammed annoying that I looked at this before and found good references, now cant find any. Must be mistaken Humpf

druidh
    Free Member

2…

druidh
    Free Member

http://www.tbilaw.com/blog/tag/james-cracknell

Cracknell was hit from behind and reportedly fractured his skull at the back of his head. But his injury is actually in the front of his brain, because his brain shot forward when his helmeted head hit the road. He sustained a contrecoup injury to his frontal lobe, with bleeding and swelling. …..

Luckily for Cracknell he had just bought a new Alpina bike helmet, which is designed so that it fits low on the back of the head. That design helped Cracknell. Doctors said that the helmet, which split in two when Cracknell hit the ground, saved his life.

Nick

Just like TJ I always consider whether I’m more likely to suffer a contrecoup or axonal injury before going out for a ride, doesn’t everybody?

druidh
    Free Member

3….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dinnae hit a man when he is down druidh 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

4….

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t think he’s getting back up after this one.

druidh
    Free Member

5…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

falkirk-mark

dinnae hit a man when he is down druidh

If ye kick him on the head (and he has a helmet on) you could give him one of thae rotational injuries

maxray
    Free Member

Tj, an opinion on everything is one thing but professing knowledge… you are more a jack of all trades, master of none!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Could it be a bit of both. Contrecoup and DAI?

druidh
    Free Member

6…

druidh
    Free Member

He really is running out of time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I should have checked before posting. I did see it before I am sure but dunno what happened cos it ain’t out there now.

SBZ – its normally a mix if injuries but that bit druidh posts is clear that its mainly if not solely a contracoup in which case what I said does not apply

druidh
    Free Member

7….

druidh
    Free Member

Is that a (unbranded) towel I see before me?

druidh
    Free Member

8…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I wouldnt be giving up that easily TJ. Maybe throw a DIA/coup/contrcoup definition counterattack combo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

had a search for useful ammo – nowt. Half a daily wail quote. useless

druidh
    Free Member

Too late SBZ.

I think we should store this one away in the STW vault.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It was worth a standing 8 count at most. But you did well to make him quit Druidh.

Contrcoup – denoting an injury, as to the brain, occurring at a site opposite to the point of impact. So – is the impact the mirror on the back of his head or from his head hitting the road?

Coup – denoting an injury, as to the brain, occurring at the point of impact. Or is it this one?

Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI),
    a type of brain injury caused by shearing forces that occur between different parts of the brain as a result of rotational acceleration. Pretty hard to get from being skelped hard on the back fo the head to headbutting the ground without a bit of rotation… Common site of injury – frontal lobe.

Helmet probably saved him from having bits of skull embedded in his brain, but it probably didnt help much with what was going on inside his skull.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its a a contracoup from the description. the impact (coup) is the blow to the back of the head, the contra coup is when the head stops moving and the brain hits the inside of he skull. the helmet would have taken some of the energy in all probability

druidh – you want the full thousand post debate? I think on that one I proved be a great mass debater

RealMan
    Free Member

As long as you obey the 3 point system you will be fine, kids.

Look Pro, Part I: Three-Point System

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘James Cracknell – Wear a Helmet Video.’ is closed to new replies.