Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Jaguar Land Rover cut upto 5000 UK jobs, plus worst Christmas on high street….
  • hopeforthebest
    Free Member

“Gordon Brown did in the early part of this century when he demonised petrol”

Come off it. Brown didn’t demonise petrol. He was part of the government that had targeted Mondeo Man! Diesel was (wrongly, in retrospect) treated more favourably than petrol, but to say it was demonised is an exaggeration.

timbog160

Ok maybe demonise was too strong a word but he implemented significant financial incentives to move to diesel on the basis of scientific advise about environmental concerns.

highlandman
    Free Member

The mass use of the on-line behemoths like Amazon has a big down side for the economy that they work inside of; they don’t pay national and local taxes in the way that traditional economic entities do. Their whole model is built around minimum wages and placing their corporate profits beyond the reach of taxation, which does our society significant harm in the medium and long run. I personally boycott Amazon for this reason alone for their lack of acceptable moral compass. So no Tesco or Asda as well.

Drac

Or Boots and pretty much every business giant who pays exactly the the amount of tax they’re due to pay.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The mass use of the on-line behemoths like Amazon has a big down side for the economy that they work inside of; they don’t pay national and local taxes in the way that traditional economic entities do. Their whole model is built around minimum wages and placing their corporate profits beyond the reach of taxation, which does our society significant harm in the medium and long run. I personally boycott Amazon for this reason alone for their lack of acceptable moral compass. So no Tesco or Asda as well.

Aren’t Tesco are a UK London Stock Exchange listed company paying Corporation tax & Business Rates in the UK?

https://www.tescoplc.com/about-us/how-we-do-business/our-approach-to-tax/

https://www.tescoplc.com/media/474890/total-tax-contribution.pdf

In our financial year to 24 February 2018 we incurred cash taxes of £1.6 billion. In addition to this we collected £2.9 billion in taxes generated from our operations, including sales and employment taxes, in the year.

Terrible company to supply to, but in tax terms they don’t seem too bad.

(Obvs all of them pay VAT in the Uk. (Although I wonder how much of the stuff I get from China via Amazon has VAT paid on it.)

chestrockwell

Seems no one told the folk of North Yorkshire that LR/RR were bad as it seems every other car is a RR Sport.

Confused that people are quoting model overlap as a big problem. Where’s that in the range then? The only one I could sort of see is the Discovery/Range Rover Sport but even then they serve different purposes. I can’t think of any other overlap that’s any more significant then their rivals.

Cards on the table, my wife recently got a new Disco Sport. Happy to report it hasn’t melted yet!

rene59
    Free Member

my wife recently got a new Disco Sport

freelander

Drac

my wife recently got a new Disco Sport

E Pace.

chestrockwell

Nope, not a Freelander and going by her friends E-Pace they do not really overlap. Have you seen the size of the E-Pace? Evoke-E-Pace maybe but they’re different brands. If we’re classing LR/RR as the same company as Jag we may as well chuck in VAG as they don’t just overlap, they have 5 models in most segments!

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

A fair comment, but VAG seems to:

A) have convinced punters than an Audi x is different to a Seat y

B) be successfully selling the bloody things!

RustyNissanPrairie

New start ups are potentially beating LR to the post (although Rivian have actually to go into production and make a profit)

Drac

That is one ugly vehicle.

rene59
    Free Member

Nope, not a Freelander

Well, it’s what they call freelanders now in order to try selling more of them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That is one ugly vehicle.

Be interesting to see what people think if it had a grill, covering up the front it looks like any other generic pick up truck

RustyNissanPrairie

Ugly front but with 400 mile range, 4 motor/4wheel torque vectoring, shed loads of storage, 0-60 in 3seconds.
    IIRC price is ~£70k

Drac

I’ll take 2.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

That comment earlier in the thread about Amazon paying minimum wage is wrong. They pay 27% more than minimum wage at present – and more than nearly all of their high street rivals as well.

bigrich

those figures are not great. my 340bhp commodore wagon does 7.8 l/100km combined, and that’s on 91 ron jungle juice.

winston
    Free Member

If that Rivian gets to market at 70k with the spec it’s advertising then yes. I would take 2. 180 kWh. 14.000 nm of torque and a 3 second 0-60 oh and it can tow almost 5 tons…FFS people pay that for a rr sport and that is a pos.

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Jaguar Land Rover cut upto 5000 UK jobs, plus worst Christmas on high street….’ is closed to new replies.