Jaguar Land Rover cut upto 5000 UK jobs, plus worst Christmas on high street….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Jaguar Land Rover cut upto 5000 UK jobs, plus worst Christmas on high street….
  • Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

In 10 years.

All over the usual news channels.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

But did people spend more on Amazon/Ebay/Online instead ?

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Very likely mate.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

All part of the grownups’ plan

And jlr are employing three thousand people in Slovakia instead. The fact most of their cars are diesel isnt doing them any favours at the moment, but Brexit is really turning the screw.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Combination of brexshite and that dieselgate crap innit, and being the Jag brand or LRover brand.. who wants to been seen in buckets of crap like that?

Supermarkets though, well they’ve been going downhill for ages.. it’s only the discount retailers doing any good.. makes you wonder why doesn’t it ? Erm, no not really.. it’s a simple answer.

Why pay more for stuff, when it’s cheaper online ?

Sales in China down 50% YOY, XF and XE sales also both down by more than 50%. Even the F-Pace down by over 30%.

Then first of these is probably the one with the most impact.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I mentioned this on the Brexit thread a while ago. My brother-in-Law and sister-in-Law both work for JLR and they moved from the UK to Slovakia 2 weeks ago.
    JLR are opening a big new plant there along with training facilities.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/jaguar-land-rover-factory-slovakia-14957225

Klunk

1 in 5 children are in food insecurity

they had a headmistress on the bbc about this and asked her how do you know ? “children taking left over fruit from the bins” was the answer. Certainly wiped the smug bbc look of his face.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

It’s still a very mixed picture out there. Certain sectors are on the up and growing/investing.
    The businesses that come out the back of this will be stronger leaner and part of the rebuild.

kerley

Why pay more for stuff, when it’s cheaper online ?

And takes less time. I was surprised to see that online purchases still only make up 20%. I would estimate mine and my wife’s purchasing to be around 90% online.

scotroutes

would estimate mine and my wife’s purchasing to be around 90% online.

A bit less here but over 50%. That’s largely due to limited choice locally.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

It’s still a very mixed picture out there. Certain sectors are on the up and growing/investing.
    The businesses that come out the back of this will be stronger leaner and part of the rebuild.

Sorry the latter half sounds like the usual management speak bs. If their growth is unaffected by brexit then coming through will make no difference, if their growth is a result of brexit then once brexit ends they may be in a weaker position. If the economy is screewed there’s no guarantee that any uk business will be in an strong position, especially from overseas competitors or asset strippers. If they’re growing then leaner seems a bit odd. You’re assuming there will be a rebuild and that’ll work

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Sorry the latter half sounds like the usual management speak bs

Well I work in business improvements, change and investment stuff. Just me personal experience from the companies I’m visiting and working with. UK manufacturing is in a better place now than it was. 10 years ago the warm up to brexit would have massacred some of these places.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

The fact most of their cars are diesel isnt doing them any favours at the moment

The small fact that they are utterly sh*te build quality and break down with alarming regularity doesn’t help either.

Two JLR cars with our extended family:
    An Evoc that has three times just stopped, no reasons, it just does. Same car also wore through a fuel line where it rubbed part of the engine. Also had constant issues with the tyre inflation sensor things.

A second hand XE – in 6 months of ownership it spent 3 months at various dealers (As first one dropped JLR) eventually getting a full wiring loom. Same again, kept just dropping into limp mode or event shouting at driver to stop. Sold asap.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

1 in 5 children are in food insecurity

they had a headmistress on the bbc about this and asked her how do you know ? “children taking left over fruit from the bins” was the answer. Certainly wiped the smug bbc look of his face.

This is truly shameful,meanwhile we piss £6bn up the wall on brexit

hooli

I saw something on the BBC a few days ago about Aldi having their best year ever in the UK and the major growth area being “luxury” brands. The summary was that people are spending wisely rather than less, comparing prices and shopping online due to it being easier and more cost effective.

Wasn’t Jag being made in the UK always in doubt after it was taken over by TATA? Their business model it to buy the brand and then move production somewhere cheap?

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

10 years ago the warm up to brexit would have massacred some of these places.

Maybe think about 15 or 20 years ago as a good point for comparison. 10 years ago, if you didn’t notice, we were having a rudy great recession.

BillMC

If the minimum wage had risen pro rata with the Sovereign Fund (the queen’s wage), it would now be £16.50 per hour.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Wasn’t Jag being made in the UK always in doubt after it was taken over by TATA? Their business model it to buy the brand and then move production somewhere cheap?

Always the case, buy a brand and shift it to somewhere cheaper to manufacture..

And this Governments retarded views about the Steel industry in the UK and thier total lack of social consequences when those plants got closed (owned by foreign owners whose business plan was always to buy up UK competition then close them down and inflate prices from production in cheaper countries)

£6bn on brexshite is an utter travesty, we’ve got people eating out of donated food banks all over the Uk and social deprivation at an all time low.

Anyway, you voted the retards in 🤷‍♂️🥴

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Moving production and plants abroad is not really something that happens overnight. This will have been planned for years and likely long before brexit was even a thing. As mentioned earlier the biggest issue will be the dramatic drop in China registrations and the demonisation of diesels in the U.K.,which in itself is complete tosh, given most new diesels are more effieicent and cleaner than their petrol counterparts.

As for the high street, I did 50/50 online and highstreet. Wife probably 70/30 in favour of online for Christmas. But for me the local highstreet is just not worth the ROI from a shoppers perspective. Stock choice is shocking, service abismal and the added headache of parking! I took the family shopping this weekend and had to pay £10 to park my car for 4 hours in Cheltenham, wouldn’t be so bad but it was hardly int he thick of the action. If I shop in the highstreet now I like to be in and out quickly. But it’s likely a whole day affair and more expensive a privilege. Nah

footflaps

If the minimum wage had risen pro rata with the Sovereign Fund (the queen’s wage), it would now be £16.50 per hour.

I always thought MPs salaries should be a fixed multiple of the minimum wage or maybe a fixed multiple of the mean full time female wage – that would make them think about improving wage conditions…

Sales in China down 50% YOY, XF and XE sales also both down by more than 50%. Even the F-Pace down by over 30%.

Then first of these is probably the one with the most impact.

This. Much as I’d like to blame Brexit, I think it’s a secondary factor in this case.

sharkbait

JLR are rather screwed.
    LR put all their eggs into the diesel basket and are now suffering – only 3% of their sales are petrol engines. They spent zero on researching hybrid technology AFAIA and so will now have to buy that technology in.
    Meanwhile the other ‘luxury’ SUV manufacturers (especially Porsche with the 2 litre v4 919 hybrid) invested in hybrid/electric power and are better placed. Porsche have now stopped production of all diesel models and are only offering petrol, hybrid and [soon] all electric.
    I know a number of people with very expensive Range Rovers and a number of them are saying that they wouldn’t get another as the build quality/reliability just isn’t there.

Klunk

I always thought MPs salaries should be a fixed multiple of the minimum wage or maybe a fixed multiple of the mean full time female wage

they would just change the multiplier.

They spent zero on researching hybrid technology AFAIA and so will now have to buy that technology in.

Maybe, but the future is going to be electric, and the f-pace puts them leagues ahead of even a lot of the bigger brands.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

They spent zero on researching hybrid technology AFAIA and so will now have to buy that technology in.

They developed their own chassis based technology.

votchy

LR put all their eggs into the diesel basket and are now suffering – only 3% of their sales are petrol engines. They spent zero on researching hybrid technology AFAIA and so will now have to buy that technology in.

Jaguar have a very successful electric vehicle, the I-Pace so this will help LR with electrification. Range Rover Sport is available as a hybrid and the recently released new Evoque also has hybrid derivatives so that may help them. The demonisation of diesel certainly wont help them although their engines AFAIK have not suffered any ‘cheating’ issues as others have.

Premier Icon Rio
    Subscriber

the f-pace puts them leagues ahead

i-Pace, shirley.

Also from the BBC today – Ford to cut thousands of jobs, Are the days of the private car really over?

Not a good time to be in the car-making business, IMHO. I expect in a few years we won’t think twice about where they’re made or who they’re made by, just like a TV or a fridge.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I expect in a few years we won’t think twice about where they’re made or who they’re made by, just like a TV or a fridge.

Most I’d say don’t care now.

Premier Icon Rio
    Subscriber

True to an extent, but the German brands still seem to maintain an irrational loyalty amongst many, although how that survived dieselgate is a mystery to me.

dovebiker

There’s huge global over-capacity in the car market – the western market is only sustained by cheap finance selling PCPs, forcing people to replace every three years is artificially sustaining the used car market. Manufacturers make more money selling finance than selling cars. The whole car ownership model is probably a busted flush, particularly when we consider the increased costs of electric and hybrid when it’s just an expensive depreciating asset. In cities, shared use models where you simply call-up a vehicle when you need it makes far more sense, but the problems is our western economies are built on consumption.

Premier Icon andy5390
    Subscriber

Moving production and plants abroad is not really something that happens overnight. This will have been planned for years and likely long before brexit was even a thing.

Indeed. Nissan ( I work in the Sunderland plant) have been using what they call “low cost countries” ie: Eastern Europe, as a threat in any pay negotiations for at least 15 years

On a purely personal (selfish??) level, I’m hoping for some sort of job shedding exercise to go with my retirement later this year

Leaving LR aside isn’t just a fact of people being skint? I’ve got noticeably less disposable income than 11years ago with less debt. I am therefore spending much less and shopping wiser.

pk13

I know a good few people who work in and around jlr its been on the cards for years that it will move away from the uk. Its been used partly as a platform to upskill the home TATA workforce. I dont blame TATA one bit.
    The global slowdown thats comming has just helped move it along a bit faster.
    10% brexit
    90% clever business strategy.
    I feel for the people that will now go back to unemployment i will most likely know a few by tomorrow.
    Also times move on young people dont want cars like my generation did they might need one but they dont see them as major status symbols like my generation.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Its been used partly as a platform to upskill the home TATA workforce.

I’m pretty sure the home TATA workforce are not located in Nitra, Slovakia. 🙂

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

But did people spend more on Amazon/Ebay/Online instead ?

Pretty much all of my Christmas shopping was through Amazon this year. Normally also use John Lewis and Debenhams, but didn’t this time.

I don’t think Debenhams will see this year out.

pk13

They have a very large home work force at jlr in placements im good friends with a few. One is doing 2 years then moving on within tata its good for the CV apparently

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

I’m not sure the JLR news is that new is it? I know it’s in the news and has a formal announcement, but this has been known about for at least a few weeks if not longer (just checked a Pistonheads thread – last October).

Global demand is shrinking, Let’s face it, oversupply and a need at some point to rein in printing money quantitative easing means that significant manufacturing bases are going to be impacted.

What’s massively frustrating is that this has come at a time of economic uncertainty in Britain amid the ongoing political crisis.

the western market is only sustained by cheap finance selling PCPs, forcing people to replace every three years is artificially sustaining the used car market. Manufacturers make more money selling finance than selling cars.

I’ve long said that car manufacturers sell you money and throw in the use of a car during the loan term. But then they’ve been doing that since car finance was invented 100 years ago.

The real shift will be in how the large manufacturers adapt to new ways of using and owning cars. I can’t see the demand for personal transport declining, only a shift in ownership and responsibility for repair. Why not just have a subscription service (like music, films, etc.) and access whatever vehicles are available in your monthly plan. We’ll still need to have vehicles built and out on the roads, they’ll just be different….

Premier Icon Carbis
    Subscriber

JLR also have an estimated £600m warranty bill from 2018 to deal with, which also might be impacting their reputation and sales.

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

I don’t think Debenhams will see this year out.

They’ve done well to get this far. However, this time last year it was House of Fraser or Debenhams. HOF has gone, so now it’s inevitably going to be the turn of Debenhams.

Anecdotally, I also shop a lot at Amazon, but increasingly am trying to move away from it. the mission of the business is to be the sole place to shop. I’m not sure I like the idea of that future.

I saw something on the BBC a few days ago about Aldi having their best year ever in the UK and the major growth area being “luxury” brands.

The luxury brands growth has been going on for a while. but I think that’s mainly been driven by some much money sloshing around as a of the artificial boom post the financial crisis. Look at the surge in asset prices since then – luxury goods is just riding on the back of that.

Aldi is different – it’s already a huge global business and its change in strategy a few years ago to subsidising the UK market in order to gain market share has clearly continued to work. I earn a reasonable income, but even we now buy some things from there (and pick up the better stuff at Booths next door…).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.