Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Jaguar F-Type
  • the_lecht_rocks

it’s starting to grow on me but it’s no 911 nor is it a classic like the E-Type.

your thoughts ?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Lovely car, sounds great but will struggle to shake off the jaguar “old mans car” image

Steve77
    Free Member

Not exactly competitively priced either

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a 16-year-old Englishman in the rock ‘n’ roll dance group. His mum picked him up in an F-type cabrio wearing a head scarf and sun glasses – at 21:30. Still want one?

p7rich
    Free Member

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Lovely looking thing, but desperately overpriced.

They start at £58,000. Boxsters start at £34,000. Who are they competing against?

thegreatape
    Free Member

They’re aiming at the fairly large gap between the Boxster and the 911.

Although once you add a few options to the Boxster the gap does narrow somewhat.

I’d have a Boxster though. The F-Type is a bit fussy to my eyes.

piemonster

Can’t help but think the main advantage of the F Type over the Boxter is people might know it cost more for status purposes.

It might have a bigger boot?

Drac

I like it looks bloody lovely.

There’s a 16-year-old Englishman in the rock ‘n’ roll dance group. His mum picked him up in an F-type cabrio wearing a head scarf and sun glasses – at 21:30. Still want one?

Why would that change my mind?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It might have a bigger boot?

196L for the Jag vs 150L + 130L for the Porsche

ElShalimo

It’s.a luxury item, therefore all logic goes out the window

I’d rather have the XF Sportbrake

BigJohn

It’s not the boot capacity in litres that matters for a “Jag” (bleugh) it’s whether you can get your golf clubs in. (Double bleugh).

TheFopster
    Free Member

Wasn’t much fussed. But now I have seen one on the road. Yes – it is expensive. Yes – the Porsche’s are probably “better”. But having seen it, I want one…

nbt

yep. I’d struggle to get two bikes in the boot of that convertible

jimw
    Free Member

I have seen two on the road, both presumably development cars. The first was in black, looked OK but being driven very irresponsibly on the A34 northbound near Newbury. Tailgaiting, undertaking etc. the second in white on the M5 southbound looked far too fussy in detailing, too bling for want of a better word. Very colour sensitive cars tend to date quickly

ska-49
    Free Member

They’re made down the road from me in Coventry. Last week there was 15 black ones in a line driving through town. Sounded fantastic and looked lovely. I think they got the price and detailing right.

the_lecht_rocks

I love the new boxster and its a joy to drive but an S plus options is f type base model cost…T!!!!

Edukator
    Free Member

If someone handed you enough cash to buy one of these with the obligation to spend it on a two-seater sporting car would anyone on this forum choose the Jag? It’s just not a car that appeals, even wearing a wig and sunglasses.

Drac

If someone handed you enough cash to buy one of these with the obligation to spend it on a two-seater sporting car would anyone on this forum choose the Jag? It’s just not a car that appeals, even wearing a wig and sunglasses.

It’d be one my considerations, clearly you have a different opinion. Fancy that ay.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

They’re not going for Boxster buyers – they’ve aimed it squarely at the 911 market and (I think) it comes out quite well in terms of pricing vs the equivalent 911.

I’d have one – I think they’re stunning cars!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Don’t know why, but from the rear It makes me think of the new Alfa Romeos

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Best looking Jag in ages, but I can’t help thinking that, given its heritage it should be the best looking thing ever ever.
    There was a picture of the Jaguar stand at the Chinese motor show with an XK 150, then an E Type, then the new one, and it just pales in comparison.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very nice looking car, based on posts above the wrong price and I cannot see why you’d buy it instead of a 911 with a lifetime of evolution, quality and reliability embedded in the product.

jimw
    Free Member
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Very nice looking car, based on posts above the wrong price and I cannot see why you’d buy it instead of a 911 with a lifetime of evolution, quality and reliability embedded in the product.

I suppose if you were in the market for either you’d test drive both and take the one you preferred. Thats the way things work. You wouldn’t buy the 911 if you didn’t like it, despite its heritage?

Believe it or not, there are people out there who, given the cash to buy a car of this ilk, wouldn’t go straight to a Porsche dealer and get a 911, me included. Won’t argue that they’re obviously great though… there are just other things out there which would lure me away from a 911 (F-Type and a GTR to name a couple of options).

clubber
    Free Member

I think that a lot of you are really missing the point. Who spends £60k on a car? Short answer, old(er) people or those with a lot of cash. It’s not going to appeal to the STW crowd who put performance before all else ( 😉 ) but rather those who make an emotive connection.

A lot of the older market will want it because it’s a Jag, possibly because it’s ‘British’ (I know…) and it’s sporty. They may well also feel that a 911 is a bit racy for them. That it’s not functionally the equal of a 911 or other brand is largely irrelevant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Possibly for those who think the 911 is a ****’s car. Which one can’t disagree with to be fair.

Edukator
    Free Member

And the Jag isn’t a ****’s car Darcy? Whatever you replace the asterisks with.

stumpy01

jambalaya – Member

Isn’t the evolution of the 911 just better efforts at compensating for the fact the engine was put in the wrong place for a sports car to start with….?? 😉

the_lecht_rocks

Can’t wait to see the Jag naturally…..

I love the orange V6S in the Autocar vid with the Carbon look alloys.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 😯

And what a noise ! over-run heaven !

Drac

Isn’t the evolution of the 911 just better efforts at compensating for the fact the engine was put in the wrong place for a sports car to start with….??

It’s a Beetle.

And the Jag isn’t a ****’s car Darcy? Whatever you replace the asterisks with.

No. Apparently it’s for people with wigs and sunglasses.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No. Apparently it’s for people with wigs and sunglasses.

Well, it certainly isn’t for Edukator, which makes it even more attractive.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Forget the Boxster, this is new Cayman S territory which has had some fantastic reviews

peterfile
    Free Member

They’re aiming at the fairly large gap between the Boxster and the 911.

You mean the one Porsche fill with the Cayman? 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not really, given that the Cayman is 1) only a couple of grand more than the Boxster and 2) a coupe.

andyl
    Free Member

It’s only a 2 seater and quite compact looking so I would have thought it was aiming at the SLK 55 AMG and the Boxster S/Cayman S buyers.

maico
    Free Member

I think the jag offers competitive performance.
    The V8 version has a better power to weight ratio then the Porsche 911 S cabriolet PDK. It’s also a bit cheaper.
    The platform offers room for even faster RS versions in due course.

Cletus

Tbh I am a bit underwhelmed by how it looks. It could easily be a Honda or Lexus.

Not sur I will ever be in the market for anything like this though. The XF Sportbrake as mentioned previously is more my cup of tea.

CountZero

it’s starting to grow on me but it’s no 911 nor is it a classic like the E-Type.

Well, the E-Type was hardly a classic when it came out, and neither was the Porky, it takes time for a car to become a ‘classic’, by definition.
    Any ful gno that.
    And the fact that Edukator dislikes it automatically makes it appealing to me.
    Given that sort of money, the very last car I’d be looking at would be a 911. Or any Porsche, they’ve never held any appeal at all. Neither do original E-Types, for that matter, those skinny little tyres in those big wheel arches always look wrong to me.

ivantate
    Free Member

Silly front bumper but the rest looks fine in the flesh. don’t understand the love for Porsche reliability, they go wrong and cost a lot to fix.

Can’t imagine spending this much on a 2 seater semi sports car. 30-40k would get me enough to tick that box. New shape Range Rover forr this money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Jaguar F-Type’ is closed to new replies.