Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Jack Reacher film
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Anyone seen it who has also read the books? Should I watch it or will I just be disappointed?

philconsequence
    Free Member

same question, taking a couple of patients to the cinema this afternoon and its jack reacher of life of pi in 3d…. need to chose the least confusing one, life of pi looks good but the 3D-ness seems to make it much harder the your average schizophrenic to keep track of whats going on

DezB
    Free Member

But aren’t the books.. a bit… er, shit?
    I’ve only read one, and it was slightly entertaining trash. How can the film possibly live down to those expectations?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The books are shit but the film still manages to miss the tone of the books and utterly mis judge the character of Jack Reacher himself.

Rubbish.

mattk
    Free Member

I thought the film was ace.

The film could never explore the depth of character the books can achieve, but cruise does a very good job. Don’t get hung up on the height thing just enjoy it.

trebord
    Free Member

Not familiar with the books but seen the film.. I enjoyed it. Defo worth a watch.

hmanchester
    Free Member

The books are cheesey trash thrillers. Jack Reacher is a great character and the story lines hook you in. I’m a fan.

Seeing the film on Sunday. Just can’t envision Cruise as Reacher.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I saw the film yesterday having read a lot of the books.

It was a pretty good film and I really enjoyed it, it felt very detached from the books though. Tom Cruise just doesn’t come close to the Reacher I have in my head, and much of the way the film played out also seemed very different to how I’d imagined it all! So I don’t think it will spoil my reading of future books anyway!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i saw a clip on graham norton.

Shorty just doesn’t look like he can cut it, he’s just too clean really.

yetitony
    Free Member

I have read the books and enjoyed them, if you want something to read that is not taxing on the mind then there great.
    Jack Reacher is 6’5″ and 240lbs in the book and built like a brick outhouse. Never in a million years would you imagine Cruise playing the role. I have seen the film and felt like it was a made for TV movie. I think the fact that Cruise is not Reacher in my head did have an affect though.
    The fact that it is a 12A as well ruined it for me. Bring back the Stallone and Arnie days with a bit of action in them!
    To summarise:
    Cruise – Rubbish.
    Action – Not enough.
    Title – Shoudl have been one shot, what will the next one be called? Jack Reacher 2 (lame)…

vinnyeh

In the books Reacher can barely drive an auto, let alone a manual car.

A car chase is one of the central pieces of the film.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

life of pi looks good but the 3D-ness seems to make it much harder the your average schizophrenic to keep track of whats going on

FWIW, if Life of Pi is tricky to follow, just switch off and enjoy the visuals. It’s a beautifully made film, and you’ll still get the Big Question at the end

ac282

I saw it by accident when skyfall was fully booked. I was pleasantly suprised as i thought it would be rubbish.

Cruise isn’t the character from the books but I don’t think the books are good enough to get worked up about.

As a stand alone film it a reasonable bit of mindless action and a good way to waste an afternoon/evening.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The books are shit but good, the film is shit but good but the film doesn’t really fit the books.

There’s a couple of references to him being big as well which quite clearly don’t work.

PrinceJohn

I’ve recently come to the conclusion that I really don’t like Tom Cruise, I find him inordinately creepy & extremely odd…

AlasdairMc

Title – Shoudl have been one shot, what will the next one be called? Jack Reacher 2 (lame)…

I reckon Jack Reacher Round 2 would work quite well

rOcKeTdOg

i would love the fictional Jack Reacher to “interrogate” the real Tom Cruise, I ask you! Tom Cruise as Reacher? Lee Child, I hope they paid you a LOT of money, how you kept a straight face or managed to not look ashamed in the interviews about the film I’ll never know, In fact take up acting, couldn’t be worse the Tom

samuri
    Free Member

To be fair though, before the modern crop of Bond actors, the bond character was absolutely nothing like Bond in the books. Connery who was my favourite, is way too chirpy and casual to be like Bond.

stucol
    Free Member

Tom Cruise is to Jack Reacher as the little white thing was to Marvin the Paranoid Android.

It’s just WRONG ! STOP IT !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not the shortness thing it’s more the far too clean cut for roles. Back in war or the world’s as an average guy – fail.

At least in the last mission impossible he sort of worked. Even better the whole ending chasing the case – if only has was taller.

But for this he has no darkness.

When he is good he can be good just not I roles like this. From the reviews above a definite wait for DVD if nothing else available.

tyger
    Free Member

Saw the film and thought is was great 🙂 not read the books but might now

CountZero

There’s a couple of references to him being big as well which quite clearly don’t work.

Which makes the scene in the trailer where Cruise ‘blends in’ to a crowd of average-sized bystanders by sticking a baseball cap on even more implausible.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Jack Reacher film’ is closed to new replies.