• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by AdamT.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I’ve washed my Garmin 500 on a sports wash – the end ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just putting the washing away and my trusty old Garmin 500 dropped out of the pocket, lovely and clean but water still in the screen.

IS it well and truly screwed?

Ive not switched it on and it now sits on a radiator trying to dry it.

If it helps it was a 45 min sports wash cycle with a gentle spin.

What new Garmin to replace a 500? Just spent £180 at Christmas on a Garmin Forerunner 245 too !

belgianwaffle1

Put it in rice maybe? Then try and turn it on.

kayak23

Yeah not on a radiator.
    In rice in a warm room, and I’d leave it several days, maybe a week.
    Don’t try to turn it on until after this period.

claudie

I have an old one that has been sitting in a draw for 4 years, you’re welcome to it for free if you don’t want an excuse to upgrade!

snotrag

My Edge 820 was just getting into the stride of a 30deg quick wash when I spotted its lit up screen bonk-bonk-bonking around the drum, aborted, drained, rescued it , let it dry on a dehumdifier (screen was fogged up) and its been fine ever since.

You MIGHT be lucky.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just out of interest why not a radiator?

I was thinking radiator to get moisture out quickly and then rice and on top of hot water tank in cupboard

Thanks

snotrag

Theres a difference between “DRY” and “WARM” , they are related but not the same, hence why I put mine on the outlet vent of my dehumidifier and the rice reccomendations.

Its drying that matters, not strictly just warming it up.

stumpy01

They are very easy to take apart. I would get it in bits, disconnect the battery & leave it all to dry somewhere.

Trimix
    Free Member

I drowned one riding round Afan in the rain. Screen fogged up, then it failed to turn on.

I opened it up, took it apart and left it to dry. It never came back to life. Lots of tiny electric bits inside. A tiny short would kill it.

Worth a go, but don’t hold your breath.

jeffl

If you can take it apart and are comfortable doing that then go for it. If not then fine. Whatever you do don’t turn it on.

Either way get some of those silica desiccant bags and stick it in a sealed container with them to draw the moisture out. Rice will do at a pinch. I think that Wilko etc sell silica cat litter so you could use that at a pinch.

Change the desiccant every few days. Give it a week and try turning it on.

Or take up claudie’s generous offer.

dannybgoode

Rice is a bit of a myth – just get some proper desiccant stuff off Amazon and put it in a tupperware box with a few sachets of that.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

What temperature did you wash it at?

I did the same with a Garmin Edge 810 on a 90 degree boil wash. Damn thing came out as a Edge 705. Had to go back to bloody Ant+ as I lost Bluetooth capability and everything.

Garmin only recommend their GARMIN BRANDED Non-bio for the Edge Series. I’m led to believe that Wahoo stuff can only be washed by hand using the tears of an angel.

tthew

One of my daughters uni housemates put her drowned phone in packet of pre-cooked Mexican microwave rice.
    It sounds like there should be a punchline here, but it’s true. How she ever got to be a university student is a constant puzzle.

andrewh
    Free Member

My Garmin 200 has been round the machine twice, 30°c standard wash.
    It’s fine

belugabob
    Free Member

I hope you get it working again.

If you do, I’d be interested to see the cadence readings.

jaylittle
    Free Member

My 25 survived with no issues

Poopscoop

claudie
    I have an old one that has been sitting in a draw for 4 years, you’re welcome to it for free if you don’t want an excuse to upgrade!

Once again I’m reminded of why I hang around in this place so much. The decent people on here.👍

Kuco

Rice is a bit of a myth

Worked for an iphone 4 I had.

duncancallum

My 200 and 25 have both had a trip in the machine. Both ok..

jonnyboi

Don’t wait for Amazon, get to halfords and buy one of those caravan dehumidifiers filled with desiccant

hooli

That’s probably the best thing that can happen to a 500. I bloody hated mine, it must have been a dud because it kept freezing, would be unable to find a GPS signal for the first half of the ride and had several other issues. Garmin suggested resets, firmware updates and goodness knows what else but it was always a massive source of frustration.

I got rid of it and got a 530 in the end and the 530 is awesome in comparison.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I took it apart, and there was quite a lot of water in there. It’s been in a box for 2 days in the airing cupboard. I got bored today waiting so Ive got it out.

I can confirm rice doesn’t work. The box lid was covered in condensation.

I’ve switched it back on a nothing

However plugging it in it booted up and is now charging and working fine!

What I can’t work out is why the battery was flat, the unit had only been used for 1hr.

At least it’s working now.

AdamT

Yay. Happy ending (unless you were hoping it was dead so you could upgrade?)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I’ve washed my Garmin 500 on a sports wash – the end ?’ is closed to new replies.