I've started using a helmet cam on my commute – deterrent?

Home Forum Bike Forum I've started using a helmet cam on my commute – deterrent?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I've started using a helmet cam on my commute – deterrent?
  • trail_rat

Yes got a roadhawk ride on the road side of my helmet. Had colleagues asking about it – they said oh yeahvi thought thats what it was so gave you extra room.

I certainly had had less/no close passes since i got it compard to before it was a few times a week

I never do owt with the footage but i guess if something went to rat shit id hand it to police

Hopk1ns

Don’t use a camera but recently purchased a small cateye helmet light that is white front, red rear. it looks like a camera when not on (daylight) as it sticks out from the side of helmet. I am convinced cars are giving me more space when overtaking or seem to be more patient.

FunkyDunc

I cant see why it would stop people hitting you at all to be honest.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Interesting. The sort of driver who can’t see a bike and rider, smidsy, can pick out a cigar tube taped to the side of your lid.

bol

I picked up a helmet cam at the Cycle Show on Sunday. I commute most days and while most drivers seem to be considerate, there’s the odd nob once a week or so who gets uncomfortably close. Since falling off a few weeks ago (own fault) and hurting myself quite badly despite not breaking anything, and maybe since turning 40, I’ve realised just how vulnerable we all are.

I know the camera won’t stop it hurting if someone clips me, but I quite like the idea of being able to give evidence of bellendery to the police, and I’m wondering whether a big obvious box on the side of my helmet might cause those who might usually like to “teach them a lesson” to give me a bit more room?

It’s early days, but so far it seams people are generally giving me more space – although it could be because I look a bit weird with a box on my head?

Anyone else using a commuter cam?

chico66

This is something I’ve been considering. Out of interest, which camera do you have?

mattk

Maybe your unconsciously riding more assertively with cam on?

samuri

I don’t think so. Plenty of evidence online of people with cameras on being hit. Not that it makes any difference. We’ve all seen instances of people being attacked by drivers and still nothing happens. Simply bizarre. How much more evidence do the police need?

Cycling Mikey on youtube has some great footage of poor drivers and cyclists, he’s a very assertive rider.

If you want a proper commuting camera, you might want to look at supporting these guys who are making a camera specially to help commuters catch relevant footage. I’ve backed them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rideye/rideye-the-black-box-camera-for-your-bike?ref=email

trail_rat

Confusing assertively with dickish samuri

The smidsy lot you can actually do something about. Its the pass too close , taking risks to get past lot that seem to take heed of the camera.

ti_pin_man

I suspect its all in your brain, maybe feeling a bit more safe wearing it. Nothing wrong with that.

I wonder sometimes about having some signage -loud and bright- “armed with webcam”, something not small and cigar shaped, something drivers cant really miss if they pay attention that deters them from those too close moves past me. Every little helps.

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

I would not let that Rideye near any bike of mine, until it put some proper clothes on

trail_rat

Yes i imagined my colleagues saying they noticed the camera and gave me more space.

Id say my colleagues are you typical bike hating car drivers tbh

ti_pin_man

i dont imagine every car going past is a colleague 😉 but either way if you mentally feel safer on the road thats a good thing. my commutte used to be an hour into central london and if i was still doing it I would have bought a helmet cam of some sort by now. Almost every day I used to see a near miss or bump.

Those rideyes look cool.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Just perception, people aren’t going to notice a helmet cam. However, you will notice the odd driver giving you space and associate this with the camera.

Similarly if someone says, “Have you noticed how many Golfs are red there’s loads” you will notice more Red Golfs there isn’t anymore just you’re paying attention.

trail_rat

Rideeyes do look cool.

Hands up who would forget to charge it once a month though ?

bigyinn

False sense of security IMO.
    If people are potentially giving you more room put off doing something stupid by seeing someone riding with a camera on their helmet, that’s rather worrying. Suggesting that they really don’t give a shit if the chances of being caught are low.

trail_rat

Suggesting that they really don’t give a shit if the chances of being caught are low.

Welcome to britain.

If you really want to avoid being hit;
    1 – Don’t ride like a dick
    2 – Wear a pretty flowery dress

Mrs CFH swears by the latter around town. When in jeans, it’s all normal. Flowery dress? Every gives her loads more space.

smell_it

Colleague started using one about 6 months ago. Since then he hasn’t been involved in a car related crash, nor did he in the previous 6 months without camera. He did spend more time watching near misses and fretting about them, and has now stopped using it as it was making him focus on the negatives. I think he initially thought it made drivers give him more space, but my view is this was psychological. Although i did cycle in dressed in a clown costume, and did think drivers gave me more space too.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

the thing with “SMIDSY” claims is that very few people are going to admit face to face that they saw you & pulled out anyway, its easier for them to admit to an error than being a twunt….

on the camera front, having seen how little police evidence was submitted in court after a near fatal accident involving a good friend, I am all for them* if nothing more than providing more evidence against poor driving.

* so long as it doesn’t turn you into some sort of cycling vigilante posting up every road infringement on youtube

trail_rat

“* so long as it doesn’t turn you into some sort of cycling vigilante posting up every road infringement on youtube”

Agree 100 % with this.

Only things ive put on youtube was some footage i took from local trails with it 🙂

rickt

A driver is not going to see your tiny camera on your helmet while driving past you.

If drivers were able to spot cameras, i think think they would be able to see a cyclist!!!!!!

trail_rat

Rick – the thing your forgetting is – most of them know we are there they just choose to ignore us as we are pond scum.

samuri

The more the fact that cyclists use cameras is publicised and the more recorded incidents are reported in the media, the more drivers will become aware they are likely to be recorded.

However, I can a see a world (not unlike the Russian cams we see), where they become a mandatory requirement for insurance companies. I’m not sure that’s the right place to be. people should be using the road sensibly because it saves lives, not because there’s a risk of them being caught on camera.

Anyway, because my commute is actually quite pleasant compared to some of the horrible city commutes I see, I assume (hope anyway), I’m unlikely to capture any terribly bad driving. I can count on one hand the number of properly near misses I’ve had in the last year on my commute. I’m far more likely to capture videos of activity on doggers lane.

trail_rat

Your right samuri its wrong,

I want to fit cameras to my cars though. I certainly would be if i lived near oldham 😉

Does anyone else ever think this?

riding to work this morning approaching a mini roundabout (with only 3 roads, left and straight on so you will almost always have ROW as there isnt a right) slight downhill so going at normal traffic speed rather than bike speed. A car pulled out from the left with just enough time for me to do an emergency stop and swerve round the back. But while watching my life flash before my eyes I had the urge to ease off the brakes and ‘teach her a lesson’ via a shoulder through the windscreen.

Anyone else? Or am I a masochistic psycopath?

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

Suggesting that they really don’t give a shit if the chances of being caught are low.

i think that, worryingly, this is all too common. mostly, it’s down to a total lack of consideration/awareness, but yeah from experience there are some motorists who simply do not care about “us” if they think there won’t be consequences to them.

bol

My thinking is along the same lines as Trail Rat’s. If people aren’t looking then they won’t see the camera, but if they just like passing too close, it might make them think twice.

Conversely, I feel less inclined to flout the rules of the road or take chances when I’m videoing myself, so all good I guess in that respect.

My camera isn’t particularly small. I went for something I could mount quite close to my helmet, but is still very visible.

chico66 – Member
    This is something I’ve been considering. Out of interest, which camera do you have?

I wanted something that would be as versatile and easy to use as possible. I didn’t really want to have to put it in a case to use, and I wanted it to have a fairly narrow frontal area so that I could mount it to the side without my head being ripped off in a headwind. After a lot of consideration, I went for a JVC GC-AX2, which is supposedly somewhere between a Gopro Silver and Black in terms of video quality, but a lot less of a faff to use. It’s got a built in screen, wifi, and important to me, continual filming. It’s waterproof and shock proof without a case and has got a tripod mount on the bottom and the side to make side mounting easy. All good so far.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

It’s not a deterrent. Some drivers are good, considerate and courteous. Some drivers are arseholes. Some drivers are just plain stupid.
    Then there’s: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hit-and-run-apparently-to-teach-them-a-lesson

Most of the time you’ll have very boring commute videos. Hopefully.

mrchrispy

I like to think I’m pretty good a reading and avoiding traffic, its the idiots behne me I worry about. however, I’m just waiting for that perfect someone to pull out and give me the opportunity to do a perfectly controlled skid finishing with my bar end embedded in the drivers door/window. you know the type, they pull out into traffic whilst just looking right through you!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I've started using a helmet cam on my commute – deterrent?’ is closed to new replies.