I've persevered with Isis…now time for a change but what are my options?

Home Forum Bike Forum I've persevered with Isis…now time for a change but what are my options?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I've persevered with Isis…now time for a change but what are my options?
  • Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Upgrade to Middleburn RS7 and Square Taper BB 🙂

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

It looks very tight around the bottom bracket area so will an external bearing throw everything too far out?

No, standard HTII are 68-73 width, get yourself a slx or xt, I think the shimano system works better than other types of fixings for the cranks. You will probably need to change the bearings more often, but it is a piece of piss to do, and they are cheap from the German shops.

Most say that they can’t feel the difference in stiffness, but I defiantly find them better, but then again I am a fat bastard power athlete.

69er

Upgrade to Middleburn RS7 and Square Taper BB

Coincidentally I too did this, 20 years ago!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Hope BB and Any of the current cranks that fit it (Shimano, RF, SRAM and more)

mrmonkfinger

External will fit a 73mm shell just fine.

As to which? Not much anybody has a bad word to say about the recent shimano HT2 cranks.

I’ve had good experience with FSA Megaexo, which uses an identical clone to the shimano BB system (both road & mtb cranks – all have been good).

Hope BB are (in the long run) a worthwhile upgrade. Mainly because they have better sealing over the bearings, so they last longer. I think there are other sealed BBs available now (gusset?) for less though. The key thing being the extra seals.

On the whole I find external BBs nicer, as they are definitely a stiffer setup than the square taper / ISIS systems. More handy for us heavier riders.

rockhopper70

My (old style) cannondale Jekyll came as stock with an Isis bottom bracket and crank. They’ve been changed since then, reasonably regularly, like for like. Recently, I’ve been having a few problems with the non-drive side arm working loose and needing to be nipped back up. Last night the non drive side crank arm worked itself loose and no amount of tightening of the bolt resolved it so I expect it has deformed.
    I’m Just looking at what I can fit as an improvement. I recall from the last purchase that the bb size is 73/113 so will an external bearing system fit? It looks very tight around the bottom bracket area so will an external bearing throw everything too far out?
    Any advice welcome.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/chainsets-chainsets-mtb-shimano-deore-m590-10-speed-triple-chainset/shimcham110

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/chainsets-chainsets-mtb-shimano-slx-m670-10-speed-triple-chainset/shimcham140

check the deore has a BB the slx is without.
    I’m a big fan of middleburn but at these sort of prices and the quality of the deore you’ve got to want the Middleburn or go second hand.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Stick with Shimano. Not tried Hope BBs, but RaceFace, FSA or Truvativ cranks just aren’t worth the hassle.

rockhopper70

Thanks..
    So just checking, with my 9 speed cassette, can I use a ten speed front (triple or double) I currently have a triple but with a bash instead of the largest ring.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

Yes, the front will be ok 9/10 chain rings will swop between 9/10 set ups. its only the rear that is tricky, one more spocket and a 10 rear mech has differant actuation so won’t work with 9speed.

Premier Icon Conespanner
    Subscriber

After issues with HT11, I too believe the square taper and RS7 on my Cotic is the way forward. Current BB is three years old and still runs like new

Euro

I just changed an old and very ruined Isis BB last week. Was originally going for Zee as i only run one ring on the HT but went for the Deore triple/bb combo as linked above for financial reasons. It’s a bit cheaper in Merlin btw.

rockhopper70

I need to revisit this. Anyone spot any good crank/bb package deals.

Great value, all you need:

deore 9 speed chainset

Upgrade to Middleburn RS7 and Square Taper BB

Coincidentally I too did this, 20 years ago!

+1 they work a treat

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I've persevered with Isis…now time for a change but what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.