Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Iā€™ve only gone and done itšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚
  • hopefiendboy

Putoline

Slow cooker

Iā€™m one of them now eeeeeeehhhh lol

martymac

Merry xmas brother

Sandwich

Itā€™s a slippery slope chain.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did you not get the memo? Everyone has given up on that now (even TJ), youā€™re the only one.

sharkattack

Your job is just beginning. Now you have to jump onto every single thread about chain lube and tell us how many thousands of miles you get from all the waxy chains you have in rotation.

davros

Mmm chain stew, delicious šŸ¤¤

Does it make your house smell like tarmac or something similarly awful?

Onzadog
    Free Member

You only do it indoors once.

hopefiendboy

TJ to the forum ASAP

Support me here brother

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fool.

matt_outandabout

What else can you dip in hot wax I wonder?

StuF

when your better half is in.

Otherwise crack on ā€“ doesnā€™t smell that bad.

Having a couple of chains in rotation is a good idea as itā€™s no more hassle to do 2 at once than it is one.

Donā€™t expect miracles if the weather is biblical

davros

Sounds like a Christmas Eve job! Sorry about the smell, I boiled some toxic chemicalsā€¦

desperatebicycle

TJ to the forum

That would make a nice change šŸ˜›

baddddad
    Free Member

Does work well *IF YOU CAN BE BOTHERED WITH THE FAFF*
    I canā€™t, soā€¦
    <stealthad>
    Giving wax and fryer away (for a charity donation) in classified currently
    </stealthad>

kayak23

Well done. Itā€™s great for lubrication, however itā€™s rubbish for rust prevention.

belugabob
    Free Member

You only have to do it indoors once, as the smell lingers forever

FTFY

hopefiendboy

I hear you. However I will be using it on chromed/silver chains so hopefully the rust will be less of an issueā€¦.

Anyway, Iā€™ll have to become a proponent of it now, Iā€™m in deepā€¦

funkmasterp

Honestly thought youā€™d got a tin of tuna chunks and chain lube mixed up and accidentally ruined some slow cooked tuna thing

scaredypants

will a slow cooker go hot enough ā€“ or is that image just a random eletric pot anyway ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Surely being on of ā€œthemā€ is reserved for those that do weird stuff like buy PTFE powders and make their own.

tourismo

Itā€™s one thing buying all the stuff to do it, but starting a thread on here about it. FFSšŸ¤£

ossify

Use Molten Speed Wax, same idea but doesnā€™t stink and isnā€™t messy. šŸ‘Œ

I too have a beautifully smooth running chain that lasts for many miles

(just donā€™t look at the rust please)

Wally

welcome to the fold, brother.

ahsat

This 1000x. Even as a cycling partner this is now banished to the garage (and I donā€™t know when it was last used; @p20?).

13thfloormonk

Wipe chain down with an oily rag after wet rides, easy-peasy, no rust.

I tried to give it up but once I washed all the old Putoline out of my chain I realised it was mostly the Putoline that was holding it together! I swear it extends the life of a chain by 1 or 2%

Experiment with using lower temps first, I think there was some debate about how hot you really need to take itā€¦

multi21
    Free Member

13thfloormonk

Wipe chain down with an oily rag after wet rides, easy-peasy, no rust.

Ah thatā€™s disappointing, i thought it stopped rust as well. Kinda feels like if you have to wipe it down after a ride with an oily rag, you might as well just oil it.

kayak23

I Putolined my chain.
    Then one day riding in the Peak last Saturday on a damp day with a few puddles and some mud.

Hosed it down when home, then blasted with a leaf blower then a little wipe.

This is it today (Thursday)

I wish it was as game-changing as they say,I really do.

Kind of leaves me wondering what I do to it now before I ride it next.
    I could you know, oil it maybe? šŸ˜

DickBarton

Squirt or Smoove seems like much less hassle and doesnā€™t create rust spots. Downside is it needs apply every 2 or 3 weeks but it seems the 30 seconds that frequently is still easier than sticking a chain in some wax and cooking it for a length of time.

Poopscoop

Kayakā€™s post has put me off for life.šŸ˜

hopefiendboy

I will report back my own findings. Principally I got it for my commuter bike and to do the road bike as they are the ones that tend to get hammered the most especially the latter. Deffo a fan of wax based lubes, this was a experiment after getting annoyed with my current wet lube on the commuter.

ton

rohloff.

13thfloormonk

Ah thatā€™s disappointing, i thought it stopped rust as well. Kinda feels like if you have to wipe it down after a ride with an oily rag, you might as well just oil it.

Yeah, I get that it doesnā€™t really seem like much of a reduction in faff, but I prefer 15 minutes faff once a month or so dunking the chain, and then one fewer steps post ride for the next few weeks. Rinse bike, run chain through rag, put bike away.

To be honest though, I donā€™t run Putoline for less faff, I run it because I genuinely think itā€™s a better lube than any other, chain seems to run quieter and smoother without much input between bi-monthly dunkings, and Iā€™ve seen for myself how much chain wear Putoline can mask, I guess because it packs out the gaps between rollers on the chain or something.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ā€˜Iā€™ve only gone and done itšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚ā€™ is closed to new replies.