Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I’ve never watched a video as many times as I’ve watched this…
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFMVvtQhLZj/

Just love it. Tranquil tranquility and then a creeping suspicion that geometrics are changing slightly, then confirmation that things are indeed not well.

SFW ( Honestly)

DezB
    Free Member

Is fascinating to watch people being idiots.

tails
    Free Member

Why would you climb an iceberg?

martinhutch

Why would you climb an iceberg?

Because it’s there. No wait, it’s not there any more!

Should have trained on one of these.

View post on imgur.com

hols2
    Free Member

gobuchul
    Free Member

That’s incredible.

How finely balanced must that thing be,that must weigh 100’s of tonnes for those 2 people to basically capsize it?

mattyfez

Wow, I bet that woke them up!

I suppose an iceberg is by definition part melted as it broke off from an ice sheet at some point, so you’ve no idea how stable it is or what size/shape it is on the parts you can’t see underwater.

Bonkers.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The underwater bits melt faster than the bits in air, so they become top-heavy. They roll over multiple times over their life, that’s why they are such strange shapes, not just rectangular blocks.

When one is just about to go, the weight of two people can be the last straw.

Trimix
    Free Member

Next time then they need to climb it from opposite sides.

mattyfez

Total wipe out: extreme edition, lol!

hols2
    Free Member

How finely balanced must that thing be,that must weigh 100’s of tonnes for those 2 people to basically capsize it?

I suspect that the process that Greybeard explained means that, once they’ve rolled over the first time, they will always be quite delicately balanced.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Did that kid shout, “Ooh there’s a SHARK mate!!” just to shit them up even further?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m no Arctic explorer but even I know not to do that.

bigrich

rich people being stupid

matt_outandabout

I’m hoping they still kept a chunk to lob in the stiff drink they had afterwards….

martymac

I’m hoping they still kept a chunk to lob in the stiff drink they NEEDED afterwards…

FTFY

cynic-al
    Free Member

So much for 90% of it being underwater,unless that’s because it melts more quickly underwater*

*Joke

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Two lucky lads there, looks like the guy on the right is going to get pushed all the way down by it but gets squirted out of the left hand side? Remember kids don’t play with matches, on the road or icebergs.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The underwater bits melt faster than the bits in air, so they become top-heavy. They roll over multiple times over their life, that’s why they are such strange shapes, not just rectangular blocks.

When one is just about to go, the weight of two people can be the last straw.

I suspect that the process that Greybeard explained means that, once they’ve rolled over the first time, they will always be quite delicately balanced.

I get the meting process.

However, they must of been pretty unlucky as that berg must of been right on edge of turning for a couple of hundred KGs to turn it over.

richmtb

How are they not dead?

I loved that their first instinct was to climb really fast rather than jump off it.

hols2
    Free Member

However, they must of been pretty unlucky as that berg must of been right on edge of turning for a couple of hundred KGs to turn it over.

My guess is that after the first turn-over, the iceberg will generally be quite delicately balanced. It will only have to be slightly unstable and a small swell will cause it to roll. My guess is that they actually roll quite frequently because it won’t take very much submerged ice to melt for it to become unstable again. Those two tried to climb onto the edge, which is the absolutely worst place to suddenly put some extra weight – they may not weigh much relative to the entire iceberg, but they have leverage because they are as far away from the center of mass and center of pressure as it’s possible to be. Hence, clambering onto an iceberg is far more likely to destabilize it than you would expect.

hols2
    Free Member

Well, it turns out nerds have already studied it. I think this basically supports the idea that icebergs are generally not very stable and it would only take a small amount of submerged ice to melt for it to become unstable.

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/PT.3.4373

wordnumb
    Free Member

If you look carefully there’s a penguin and a polar bear teaming up to flip it from the other side for the lols. Don’t believe everything Attenborourgh narrates, Aardman know the truth.

NewRetroTom

Reminded me of the Reverend Captain Bob Shepton attempting to get an iceberg off his anchor after overwintering his yacht in Greenland.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=605870236536055&extid=4zTazDkQz135I9wN

matt_outandabout

You know the real answer is to plan ahead:

sani2c
    Free Member

Great clip. Mike Horne is not short of experience – actually quite a dude.

boxelder

I like the cool French guy saying “c’est bon” as soon as they’re clear, as though it’s nothing.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I’ve never watched a video as many times as I’ve watched this…’ is closed to new replies.