Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • I've never tried a 29er…
  • hugor
    Free Member

When I came to this country for my job 6 months ago I had to choose between my 2 bikes.
    Both were less than 6 months old.
    I chose the 29er. I haven’t regretted it.
    :mrgreen:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not surprised. That top one is gopping. You’d get laughed at (and rightly so) if you were to ride around on that. 😀

mboy
    Free Member

lol @ elf

You got in there before me! I was going to say that… 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hugor
    Free Member

Hey!! That’s my bike you’re talking about!!!
    Haven’t made it yet in the UK but thats a Pivot Firebird 6.6 inch travel beauty.
    You will see lots of them on the trails here soon.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh!

No, some sensible comments on this thread. Good to see people aren’t evangelising about 29ers like you get on here sometimes.

Funnily enough all the people I’ve ridden with who’ve raved about 29ers have bin long folk…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I bloody hope not.

I’ll be writing to my MP if those… things… start appearing over here. 😯

tazzymtb

have you eaten too many pies? what the flip have you done to nose of the saddle?

hugor
    Free Member

have you eaten too many pies? what the flip have you done to nose of the saddle?

😆
    When you eat as many pies as I do you put alot of pressure on your privates when you sit down.
    That makes them go numb which makes the girlfriend unhappy.
    That Selle SMP makes them feel normal again!!

mboy
    Free Member

LOL

The British are VERY image conscious when it comes to buying bikes I’m afraid you’ll find, I’m sure it rides well (looks very similar to a Giant Reign X suspension design, a good bike indeed) but it has looks only a mother could love! Makes my Maverick look like a thing of beauty, and they’ve always been unpopular in the UK cos despite how well they ride, people don’t like the looks.

Liking the RIP9 though, even if it is covered in SRAM.

tazzymtb

mboy-you had a burple* bike with silly wheels and white bits, you can not make any comments about the look of a bike 😀

*Burple is a purple so foul it makes you do a “lumpy yawn”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Makes my Maverick look like a thing of beauty

Oof, dunno about that mate… 😐

The lower one looks more in proportion. Less of a gate.

rOcKeTdOg

You wouldn’t catch me on one of those 29″ monstrosities!

hugor
    Free Member

The British are VERY image conscious when it comes to buying bikes

No way – probably the most sought after and talked about bike in Britain is the Orange 5. That rear end looks like it was welded together in someones shed and is not attractive at all. They must ride really well to be as popular as they are.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hugor dinnae worry they hate some o my bikes too – i like that pivot bar its baby wheels .

mboy
    Free Member

mboy-you had a burple* bike with silly wheels and white bits, you can not make any comments about the look of a bike
    *Burple is a purple so foul it makes you do a “lumpy yawn”

Hey, that was no Burple, it was a damned fine colour! Wheels were no sillier than any of yours either (gears inside the rear hub aside)! 😉

Definitely fancy another 29er just ain’t got any funds currently. That and as I realised when I had more mountain bikes, they don’t all get ridden often enough to justify keeping!

Hugor, if it’s any consolation, I don’t understand the Orange 5 thing either. Personally I think it’s a bit of an old school “we must buy British” hangup, that people will overlook it’s looks. They ride well though.

chiefgrooveguru

My original point was that the poll on the front page is missing an option for me, and as the world clearly revolves around me I would like that option adding. There are lots of bikes out there that I totally see the point of, and would be perfectly happy to ride for some stuff, but wouldn’t have the ‘performance’ I want for the vast majority of my riding. If I raced XC I’d like a 29er. I’d even be curious about a FS long-travel 29er for Enduro racing. But I’m not chasing times, I’m chasing sensations!

I have little interest in how quickly I get down a hill (in an absolute sense) and even less in how quickly I get up a hill. But I have an obsession with how much fun I have when descending, cornering, dropping and jumping and I’d like to minimise the annoyance of ascending. I’m a one MTB person and my STW cliché fancy steel hardboiled 26″ hardtail does rather an excellent job. Only risk is people thinking I’ve stolen it because I’m neither fat, nor middle-aged, nor work in IT… 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Fat, middle aged and work in IT

Two out of three ain’t bad 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I've never tried a 29er…’ is closed to new replies.