Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I've just bought a 'Trail-gator' for my 5 year olds bike….
  • hugorune

So, rather than going for a tag-a-long and not having a bike for the little monster when we get to the park, I thought the trail-gator thing sounded like quite a good idea. Do I have anything to worry about?

nbt

Trailgators are great. Make sure you do everything up nice and tight, and take a spanner with you on your first trip as you won't have tightened it enough. You need to be confident that your nipper won't brake and / or try to get off at inopportune moments – not fun trying to safely cross a road only to suddenly slow down half way across because Junior doesn;t like going so fast!

Take note of your kid's feelings, some are fine and others will get scared at what you consider to be a slow speed.

When you are riding solo, the towbar does make the back end a little noisy and unweildy, but no great shakes if you're just cruising – just don't go jumping!

Oh yes, the bracket on the seatpost is supposed to be a permanent fitting, so make sure it won't affect other use of the bike

DezB
    Free Member

Make sure the bracket that fits to his bike's headtube is damn tight (I used a couple of bits of inner tube underneath it) as it can twist.
    My boy was once unceremoniously dumped into the road when this happened! (Luckily it was a very quiet road.)

Otherwise they are great for exactly what you plan 🙂

antigee

allow a lot of time to get the set up right – my opinion def not a 5mins in the car park or need to get junior out now number

used both a tag along and a trail-gator and def gives more independence sooner

ps a mirror is handy to check out any shoes off & big toe up nose – look no hands activity

rig
    Free Member

We used two of these in our time.

Advice:

Especially make sure that the brackets are clamped to both bikes as tight as you can possibly get them. … and them tighten them a bit more!

When you turn in to a tight gap, remember that your effectively a long vehicle. I crashed first time out when daughter hit a barrier. Wife turned to cross small bridge & landed son in burn as she too had turned too early.

Apart from that, they're brilliant!

hugorune

Cheers for that

antigee- my little beastie has the attention span of a labotomised goldfish so I am wee bit worried that she might get bored and try to get off while we're pootling down the road so a mirror might not be that bad an idea. She's just got the hang of riding without stabilisers so I'm hoping this will us a bit more mobile.

I might have to stick a set of flat peddles on now

Tracey

Takes me back a few years, just make sure that everything is tight, we put a quick release on the part that clamps on the seat post for ease of removal

Abigale age 3, brought on her riding very quick

At age 10

Hope you have as much fun in the future as we have

Tracey

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I've just bought a 'Trail-gator' for my 5 year olds bike….’ is closed to new replies.